Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roosevelt Island

Post Roosevelt Island

/
    Last edited by Law & Order; August 10th, 2007 at 11:16 PM.

The Dude Abides

I don't know if it's a better way, but it sure is cooler...

Roosevelt is very much open to the public, it is simply another part of Manhattan.

The subway stop is literally a few steps from the tram stop as the tram crosses the river at the equivalent of 60th street while the subway crosses at the equivalent of 63rd street.

The island is easily walkable although there is a bus that goes the length of the island for some insanely low price.

CRAINS: At deadline

October 03, 2005

The Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. is seeking developers for five waterfront sites. Included are an 80,000-square-foot retail space and a 2,000-space garage. In addition, three 1-to-4.5-acre parcels could be used for residential condos, commercial offices or more retail space. The agency's requests for proposals suggest other uses, including senior housing, a cultural center and a scientific research facility. Jones Lang LaSalle has been hired to oversee the RFPs.

©2005 Crain Communications Inc.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

The walk is especially beautiful in the spring, when the trees are flowering. I have taken the subway from Chelsea, had time for 'the walk', and returned by the tram, being able to use my transfer time on Metrocard. For a first time I would say give yourself an afternoon. Go ahead and walk on the Queens side too (it's good for you ). It's an interesting acivity to do with a companion. The restaurants there are pretty bad but you can go to a convenience store in the center of the island for a refreshment. There is a nice park at the Northern tip where you can lay on the grass.

Default Roosevelt island ??

Can anybody recommend anything to do on roosevelt island ??

Quote Originally Posted by MUGGEDinCHELSEA
    Can anybody recommend anything to do on roosevelt island ??
    Getting there is over half the fun --if you take the tramway. Truly a thrill ride, it parallels the 59th Street Bridge, and the views are spectacular in every direction.

Once you get there, you'll find a slightly better-than-average housing project. At least it has a Main Street of sorts, even if it's dull and a bit dingy. The views from the island's perimeter path are great towards Manhattan and good towards Queens.

There's a neo-Gothic chapel and an incongruous Colonial farmhouse, both restored.

Roosevelt Island was master planned by Philip Johnson, and the better housing was designed by Jose Luis Sert.

Thats brilliant - just the info i was looking for

If they left the gate unlocked, which they often do, you can wonder around the old ruins and commune with the geese on the southern end of the island.

Default Roosevelt Island

I'm coming to NYC next week & contacted Big Apple Greeter for a guide to Roosevelt Island but they weren't able to find someone! But they found someone for my visit to City Island which surprised me. I thought City Island was more 'off the beaten track' than Roosevelt.

You can guide yourself. You can't get lost on Roosevelt Island; a man with a good arm can almost throw a baseball clean across the Island. And if you google it, you'll be amazed at how much info you'll find.

Definitely a worthwhile side trip for an enthusiast.

Go there by the cable car and use a token!

I believe its still the only public transport in NYC that takes tokens, invented for convenience and uniformity of tariff some time ago but long since abandoned for simple change.

Good fun - almost good fun BRITISH STYLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Tenenbaum
    Go there by the cable car and use a token!

I believe its still the only public transport in NYC that takes tokens, invented for convenience and uniformity of tariff some time ago but long since abandoned for simple change.

Good fun - almost good fun BRITISH STYLE.
    Tokens are no longer accepted on the Roosevelt Island tram.

The Tram now uses the simple, universal Metrocard fare system that is accepted by City buses and subways.

Buses take simple pocket change, but subways do not and neither does the tram.

Click here for more information on Metrocard

Thanks for the info Mac. It's been a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Tenenbaum
    Thanks for the info Mac. It's been a few years.
    No problem. I'd suggest a Roosevelt Island trip to anyone. It's a fun little excursion and very convenient to Midtown.

Best time to go is on a sunny day.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast