Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheffield57 - 322 West 57th Street - Midtown - Condo - by Emery Roth & Sons

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Just came back from seeing the Sheffield. The model apartments are on the 22nd floor, which I guess is 15 in dog years.

Very pretty 2-BR layouts, some with views, some, er, not . . . but IMHO, a better location than some unnamed buildings further West, since you're nearer transport and nearer the Park.

They currently expect about 630 units in the building, with 90 of those being holdover renters.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

How are the up-close views of the Hearst Tower from the Sheffield?

Hmm . . . they steered me away from looking east . . . hmm.

The Sheffield is shaped like a cross, so the "bad" views actually have you looking at the brown brick of the building itself.

The "good" views looks South (over the city) and West (down into the garden of the Vendome, remind me next time I'm there to hold up a protest sign or something.)

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

PS: The amenities (dining room, pool, gym, etc.) are known as "Club 57" -- so that's what drove the renumbering; they had to "create" a 57th floor in order to brand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Front_Porch View Post

Hmm . . . they steered me away from looking east . . . hmm.
    It will be intersting to see the pricing differential (if any) of those units with the big east-facing windows onto the flat "backside" (west facade) of the Hearst Tower.

I just got back from seeing the Sheffield. I agree with FP that the best views are west towards the Parc Vendome. Perhaps if you are high enough the best views are North and west. The worst views IMO are the ones east with the Hearst right in your face.

Do you guys know how high the building to the North of 57th st is? How high do you have to be in order to get a view of central park?

To me the best thing going for the Sheffield is the location. The subway, wholefoods, time warner center and Central park are right there. It is in between Times square and Lincoln center. But you don't have the nice residential feeling you get from living on the UWS.

Central Park Place is the building to the north of 57th street.

It is 628 feet compared to the Sheffield's 505 feet. Although, now that the Sheffield has renumbered its floors, Central Park Place at 56 floors is one floor shorter, on paper, than the Sheffield

While Central Park Place obviously dwarfs the Sheffield, this shot taken from Central Park clearly shows the Sheffield having Park views from its North windows.

From the pic it seems that at least the top 26 flrs have a view of the park (i.e flrs 31-57). When I was in the show room, there was another shorter building to the west of central park place which was blocking the view. You don't happen to know the name or height of the buildings west of Central Park Place do you?

Talking Welcome; you poor sod

Quote Originally Posted by poorsod View Post
    From the pic it seems that at least the top 26 flrs have a view of the park (i.e flrs 31-57). When I was in the show room, there was another shorter building to the west of central park place which was blocking the view. You don't happen to know the name or height of the buildings west of Central Park Place do you?
    Great.......... here comes another poor sod: just what we needed. Cheers, and welcome.

p.s....... don't know the name of that building: but I am sure some other poor sod will.

The two pics are made from a north faced condo on the 40th floor.
    The other one from a west faced condo on floor 33.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apt 40H pic3.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	3516   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apt 40H pic2.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	3517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apt 33B pic2.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	3518  

Thanks for the pics. Perhaps the top floor views are not worth the premium.

They were when it went up -- but not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    They were when it went up -- but not
    anymore.

What do you mean by that?

The Sheffield was one of the tallest buildings in that area when it was built -- and had views of Central Park (interrupted only by what is now the Trump International building on Columbus Circle), Midtown, the Hudson River, New Jersey & the UWS. Since then it has been boxed in by the newer Time Warner Center, the greenish tower across the street at the NW corner of 57th / 8th Avenue, Hearst Tower among others. So views to the SE, East, NE, North and NW have all been greatly impacted.

With the 500+ foot tower going up at 48th / 8th (and most likely something going up directly across 56th street at some point in the not too distant future) views to the south wcould be greatly impacted. Then there's the big new building going up at 55th and 8th.

Seemingly views to the direct west over the Parc Vendome and to the southwest are protected -- due to the low-rise zoning restrictions for Hells Kitchen starting just west of 8th Avenue -- and will remain.

Exclamation Sheffield conversion what u need to know.

the conversion is a ripoff.

In the expansion of the lobby, they have to move the driveway. They have NO PERMIT FOR THIS and may never get it .the Park Vendome must give permission.
    there will be three bedroom units in the new building and have to put in risers and plumbing for those units since they will have washer dryers.the tenants are resisting this since this will go through their units and they will lose space they fighting with all resources and will probably prevail. The two bedroom units have some new risers also.
    almost all occupied units are affected.
    March occupancy will be limited and for the most part is a joke.
    The units are overpriced. u can get better at central park place or even City Spire.
    The square footage of the apartments is exaggerayed by about 20% . they count the footage through walls and outside brick.
    thing is there alot of suckers around so who knows. Especialy foreign investors.

As a resident of the Vendome, I would like to point out that while it is technically correct that we should have some say over the driveway placement as a result of a joint agreement with the Sheffield (and our board has held endless resident meetings about this) in actuality, the old pass-through is boarded up and it sounds like the driveway is currently being moved.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast