Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Sheffield57 - 322 West 57th Street - Midtown - Condo - by Emery Roth & Sons

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

I don't understand where you're supposed to park your car . .. in the moat? in the fireplace?

But perhaps I'm not forward-thinking enough.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

How can a moat float? A moat is water right?

Also, Lofter1 LOL!

Don't you see? The floatable moat is what makes it so fantastically unique!

Who but the brilliant gang over at the Platinum would think to float WATER?

Ya gotta hand it to that clever minx nycneedahome -- some good eyes there, eh?

When I grow up I want to be just like nycneedahome.

No -- make that: I want to BE nycneedahome. Only a bit less indecisive.

Then my life would be perfect.

You guys forgot the mood enhancing video that will be played in the lobby. Is that legal?

I am glad I did not go with an apt. at the Sheffield. Besides all this nonsense about the closing, I was not impressed with the Senior Sales Associates (Gail Coverdale, the older woman) when I went to check out the apartments.

Just because I asked to see a lower price range of apartments, she did not treat us with any respect....eating and drinking while showing us floor plans and not taking any questions seriously. As we were leaving the place, she even called someone (I think the front desk) to give us a poor rating as a potential buyer, thinking that we did not hear what she said or otherwise she did not care. Maybe we were discriminated because we are young and were not dressed like we have money to afford it.

If anyone is interested in the Sheffield, I would at least avoid this sales person. We have now bought a much nicer luxury apt. at the newly built Atelier instead. Forgot the old renovated building!

not sure if you can really compare Atelier and Sheffield. they are in completely different locations. but I do agree with you about Gale.

Referring to some of the recent posts, Sheffield is not particularly comparable to either Platinum or Atelier.

- Platinum: location on 46th and 8th has a much less residential feel than 57th. Much higher traffic/congestion due to being in midst of Theater District and in periphery of Port Authority area. Sidewalk congestion due to Times Sq tourist traffic.

- Atelier: on the far far West Side. Long walk to subway and anything else.

The main advantage of Sheffield vs. other new developments is that it has a more central location than buildings like Element, 10WEA, Avery, etc. (and a slightly lower price point than other centrally-located new developments.) Of course, the main disadvantage is that even a thorough renovation can't change certain structural facts and employ the latest technologies.

Gale needs a major attitude adjustment. We were looking at two bedrooms and really like it for the location and amenities. However, my partner refuses to buy the unit we like on principal because he doesn't want her getting a commission from our sale. So stubborn!
    No wonder Sheffield is having such a hard time selling out.

My building (the Vendome) is a different kettle of fish because it does not have a gym -- or even the cool sleek hallways of a modern building. (It was built 1930)

But it is a condo, and it does have a killer location (next door to the Sheffield) and some nice common amenities (music room, garden, etc.)

It might be worth checking out and I'm always happy to show it.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

Cool Saffster - you lucky dude . . .

Sheffield57 having even more problems.
    Alot of units are getting flooded. Seems there are problems with the piping due to the extensive renovation. People come home finding tons of water in the units- both renters that were there before the conversion and new owners. Its a mess.
    And if the unit is in closing the owner doesnt tell the buyer.

Didnt the squeaky floors turn you off ?
    The wood isnt flush with the concrete below.its suspended slightly. Cheaper to do it that way rather than level it with the concrete below,.besides there is a coating over the asbestos glue that could be disturbed if it was leveled .
    Good you didnt buy.
    And they still dont have permission from dept of City Planning for the driveway and may never get one.

Quote Originally Posted by telebob View Post
    Sheffield57 having even more problems.
    Alot of units are getting flooded. Seems there are problems with the piping due to the extensive renovation. People come home finding tons of water in the units- both renters that were there before the conversion and new owners. Its a mess.
    And if the unit is in closing the owner doesnt tell the buyer.

Didnt the squeaky floors turn you off ?
    The wood isnt flush with the concrete below.its suspended slightly. Cheaper to do it that way rather than level it with the concrete below,.besides there is a coating over the asbestos glue that could be disturbed if it was leveled .
    Good you didnt buy.
    And they still dont have permission from dept of City Planning for the driveway and may never get one.
    Telebob, you have quite a history of writing negative postings about the Sheffield. You are quite the biased one - are you sure you don't have an agenda? Wired members should know that there are several holdover tenants who are refusing to leave their apartments at the Sheffield in the hopes of getting a big pay day from the developer. The Sheffield is doing EXTREMELY well and getting rave reviews (Lydia Hearst just closed on her apartment last week) - unfortunately, this anonymous forum allows some people with an agenda to push negative untruths for reasons I can't quite figure out. I suppose they some how think that if sales are slow, they will get paid big bucks.

I have multiple buyers in the Sheffield who are very happy - there are, of course, no flooding issues and the floors look and feel great. Do check out the finishes - they are quite good.

One issue with the Sheffield is that there is a big income disparity between the new owners and the handful of holdovers who refused to move at the end of the lease. However, it is worth remembering that variety is the spice of life and it takes all kinds, rich and poor, to thrive in NYC.

[quote=McLovin;217429]I have multiple buyers in the Sheffield who are very happy - Do check out the finishes - they are quite good.]

The Sheffield57 does have the advantage of superior location over the other West Side new construction developments. Simply, off of 8th avenue is PRIME as compared to Element, 10WEA, etc. which are far west (and far from Central Park/public transportation, etc.).

The Sheffield57 finishes are as good as I have seen - it is a conversion, however, so there are some negatives (not as high ceilings, rent stablized tenants) but generally the building systems should be brand new so that is not an issue. Also, the tax assessment should be lower than brand-new buildings, so there will be significant tax savings once the 421A benefit is phased out.

McLovin: Are you a broker? Your post indicates you might be.

If so, maybe he can help ekartash close, because I believe there's been a six month lag there. {Ek, you around? any updates?}

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

i am still here. we closed in december. not sure what flooding problem the other poster was talking about. must say that the flooring isnt that great, but not really a problem either. overall, we are very happy with the apartment. the finishes are really nice.
    now just waiting for the stratus.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast