Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: 7 Train Extension

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

How often will anyone need to go to 34th st. & 11th Ave?

Every time there is a convention at the Javits.

Stand where the picture was taken, and there's a steady stream of people going by. Where to?

34th St between 11th and 12th.

Megabus

My guess is that most arrived by subway, more than a half mile away. Big schlep if you're carrying luggage.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    How often will anyone need to go to 34th st. & 11th Ave?
    How often did anyone need to go to Flushing before the 7 train was extended in 1928? And now it's one of the densest Korean communities outside of Korea and a popular city destination

Development follows transit

1928? That is the best you can do?

But I do like the Taiwanese food in Flushing

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    Unlike the east side nightmares this has been running AHEAD of schedule, barring an act of nature this will be open by summers end.
    Dude, you and the MTA make it too easy.

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2014/01...-a-few-months/

I am really not going out on a limb predicting with 100% certainty that this will not open in 2014.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    I am really not going out on a limb predicting with 100% certainty that this will not open in 2014.
    Based on the track record of local government projects, there is no reason to doubt that statement. I'm still holding out hope that I can ride by the beginning of winter

In the private sector these sort of issues are often mitigated by severe performance penalties on sub-contractors & vendors for not meeting deadlines and bonuses for finishing ahead of schedule

Dude, you and the MTA make it too easy.
    http://secondavenuesagas.com/2014/01...-a-few-months/
    I however, think you are out on that limb...from your own link:
    the MTA is working with contractors to mitigate the delay, but it’s not likely that the agency will meet the previously promised June 2014 date.
    the opening of the station at Hudson Yards will be delayed until at least late summer/early fall of 2014 and possibly into the fourth quarter of 2014.
    I am over there almost everyday, talking to the guys working on the job.
    They also seem to think this should be wrapped up by summers end/very early fall...
    we shall see what we shall see.

There is a huge deficit of credibility at this agency (especially surrounding the transfer at Bleecker/Lafayette), but it is understandable why some give them the benefit of the doubt, despite a lack of evidence that such benefit is deserved. Maybe if instead of talking, "the guys working on the job" were working on the job, this would be done sooner.

Can you fill us in on the credibility deficit regarding the Bleecker Lafayette station construction?

There's been a lot of coverage of the Bleecker Lafayette fiasco on Second Avenue Sagas, but to make a long story short, when the opening date came and went in June 2012 and the connection did not open, the MTA went into an information blackout.

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2012/07...r-st-transfer/

The connection finally opened on 25 Sep 2012. It took less time to build the entire Lexington Avenue Line than this one connection.

Random Personality

Its unfair to compare the two scenarios as you present them. Back then it was cut and cover with little to no environmental or work concerns.

The connector involved complex underpinning of a in service subway line as well as an environmental review process.

I suspect the MTA is planning further future extension of the 7 train/another line by building a hub all the way out to 11th Ave first...