Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Train Extension

Well, the SAS certainly is needed, but what kliq6 says makes a lot of sense.
    I wish we could do both. I desperately want the 7 extension built so that the West Side can develop. Maybe some of the developers' focus could be drawn
    to an area that actually needs developing, instead of them demolishing old treasures on the East Side and in Midtown? I dunno, just wishful thinking I guess. I've given up on the Landmarks Commission, so now I'm grasping at straws.

Architectural Padawan

Both are desperately needed.... The SAS is simply because the Lexington Ave Lines are without a doubt dangerously overcrowded during rush hour. I think a good compromise would be to work off of Zippy's idea and switch to building the 7 extension after phase I of the SAS, as the 7 will definitely be better long-term for the city when it opens up new regions for development.

Hmmmm. I wrote SOS.

Is that a parapraxis?

I agree, Phase I SAS first, then 7 extension, then the rest of SAS.

I have a question. Why on Earth is the Second Avenue Subway being built as a two line track? Would it not make more sense to make it four lines so that you could have an express as well as local line? Even with the station spacing as it is, it seems like a bad idea to make it run only local.

more expensive. We're barely getting a 2 track.

Architectural Padawan

Also couldn't they just add 2 more tracks under the existing 2 kinda like how the 4 and 5 are below the 6 on the UES? Or would that not be feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    Also couldn't they just add 2 more tracks under the existing 2 kinda like how the 4 and 5 are below the 6 on the UES? Or would that not be feasible?
    I'm sure it would be feasible, but it must be the cost thats keeping them from doing that.

I'm not sure about this, but...

Since a Tunnel Boring Machine will be used, a circular tunnel will be constructed. If four tracks are laid out at the same level (along the tunnel diameter), a lot of space above and below the track level is wasted.

So typically, you would have two levels within the tunnel, one above and one below the widest point. That means the tunnel would still be wider (more expensive) than that for a two-track.

But, as was said already, why not just put the express tracks below it?

Perhaps the station spacing is so great that an express would be useless. I actually think it's kind of rediculous some of the distances between stops

Because of the curve in the tunnel wall, the area below (or above) is not wide enough to lay track.

I wish I had a graphic.

Ah, so they're using a smaller diameter tunnel. I only liked that suggestion because that is what is being done for ESA and THE

I guess we can no longer afford to do things that were routinely accomplished nearly a hundred years ago. All that technology...

"Impossible" can now be defined as "unafforadble." The impossibility is more fiscal than technical.

I think the reason they gave, was that the new generation of subway lines built in this city, would be mixed between an express and local. Trains would operate at 70 mph and go between stations (which were positioned farther from each other) faster.

Look at the three stations that are planed at
    72nd street
    86th street
    and 96th street

The plan is, to operate trains faster, with higher capacities (with the computer controlled systems), to allow for greater capacity along the line. In theory, this would more than compensate for the lack of an express.

Most systems are not 4-track. I think the extent of the route and station location are more important.

One big advantage in 4-track is flexibility to reroute trains when there are service interruptions.

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast