Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Train Extension

I say just run the 7 further down

Banned Member

Extension of the L line would create an even larger zone for convention hotel development.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamicdezzy View Post

Image of an "L train extension."
    woah that looks great, they should definitely do this! if they could complete the 7 train and then extend the L all the way to Javits this would be a huge boost to the area. The L extension would dramatically improve access to the west side! and finally give train access to the piers and beyond!

The Dude Abides

And imagine how nice it would be to be able to hop on a light rail at 34th street to go cross-town, or loop up to 42nd.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    And imagine how nice it would be to be able to hop on a light rail at 34th street to go cross-town, or loop up to 42nd.

And with Second Ave Subway you have the East Side covered giving a subway line within 2 blocks on every avenue from 42nd to 23rd st! It would spur development of the whole area!

Pic I put together.

Last edited by Eugenious; May 15th, 2007 at 03:51 PM.

I wonder how much it would cost to extend the L train upward?

Eugenious, that's a cool pic. Imagine....
    Last edited by Dynamicdezzy; May 15th, 2007 at 03:31 PM.

The Dude Abides

The idea should be explored because it's a good one. And it's certainly doable. While they're at it, they could throw in a tram down the center of the West Side Highway. Use taxes generated from all the new Highline development.

^ in regards to another convo on subway and rail lines, the above idea would have a metro north line run down from 34th and along the west side highway down to the WTC hub.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...t=dynamicdezzy

The Dude Abides

How would they do that without a transfer to light rail? Running Metro North trains above ground would probably not be an option, and digging them underground would be too expensive.

Maybe it would be better to have an intermodal transportation station somewhere in the Hudson Yards?

One problem though. You're going to have to double stack that tunnel between 23rd and 34th Sts b/c the 7 tunnel will actually run all the way down to 23rd St so they can store extra subways. Extend the L some other way, perhaps under a different street, up to the ferry terminal. Then again, a double stack may actually be cheaper to build rather than an two seperate ones.

I still think the 7 should've been sent onto the high line, but whatever

Forum Veteran

Extending the 7 / L lines to meet is an interesting idea. At first I thought, "this is just another 42nd street light rail pie-in-the-sky" idea. But when you think about it, when work is finished on the 7 extension, they are likely to leave the tunnel boring machine in the ground at 10th avenue. If it's popular enough and the city is still in the black, it's not inconceivable that they consider connecting the two.

The 7 train is going to run down 11th avenue when it turns south, not 10th. You have it running down 10th in your diagrams, I believe. Of course, its fantasy, so you can do whatever you want.

Why not turn the L train up 10th all the way to 59th? It always bothers me that western Hell's Kitchen/cruise ship piers has no subway access.

I think the L trains best use is to continue into Hoboken, to take pressure off the PATH. While we're at it, run the E to Jersey City. But this is pure fantasy. The MTA would have to become a bi-state agency, for one. There will have to be a third PATH tunnel someday.

Very much true! I forgot about that! Eugenious, we have to hit the drawing boards once again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamicdezzy View Post
    Very much true! I forgot about that! Eugenious, we have to hit the drawing boards once again.....
    Lol....I want to do a "Wishful Thinking" type map where you can see the coolest ideas to remake the whole subway system. For example, F express, V extended to Ave X, Extended nostrand ave line, extended queens lines, extended G train into Staten island via Ft.Hamilton prkwy. etc etc..

would be really cool to see what could be done if the city had 100 billion to expand the subway (which the feds going to save from pulling out of Iraq :P)

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast