Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Borough of Hudson

Default Borough of Hudson

This is just a trial balloon I'm floating, so I'll give you a caveat....

Hudson County, the county in NJ that contains Jersey City, Secaucus, Weehawken, and Hoboken, is similar to the other five boroughs culturally and financially. When you are in Jersey City, you feel like you are in Downtown Brooklyn, only without subways. When you are in parts of Hoboken, you feel like you are in the Village, only things are slightly cheaper. Here is my proposal: make Hudson County a part of New York State, and have New York City annex it as a sixth borough. I doubt this will ever happen, but I believe that NYC and the residents of the Hudson County cities would benefit greatly as a result.

I've always considered that area NYC's 6th borough. It's more of a borough than Staten Island. The cities in NJ that you mention depend on NYC for their livelyhood. Most professionals who live there work in the city.
    They are very much directly connected to the city in the same way Newark Liberty Airport is 1 of the 3 NYC. airports.
    If they weren't bordering the city they'd be industrial river towns with a depressed economy.

A proposed land swap: Hudson County for Staten Island?

It would make for a much easier subway connection to staten island incorporating hudson county. having the same lines run through hudson county to staten island much like manhattan and the bronx. It would be nice to have a train run express from brooklyn (and/or queens) to hudson county and then have it go into manhattan that way it would (forcefully) be incorporated into the rest of the city. The city pretty much flows in the same direction the subway does. If i implement a new subway line in queens (or bk) that will take me express into the Manhattan (even though it goes to former NJ 1st) and it takes me just as much time if not less than taking a current line directly into the city then it would be worth using. As long as the city is the final destination ppl will get on, just as long as this "New" borough gets tied in. Just an opinion.

First, Hudson County should merge into one city.

If it were to do this, it would have a population of 600,000 (19 in USA) and a population densiy of 13,043/sq mi. - 3rd in the USA, below New York (26,401) and San Francisco (16,633) and above Chicago (12,749).

Quote Originally Posted by asohn
    First, Hudson County should merge into one city.

If it were to do this, it would have a population of 600,000 (19 in USA) and a population densiy of 13,043/sq mi. - 3rd in the USA, below New York (26,401) and San Francisco (16,633) and above Chicago (12,749).
    Nice thought, but not practical.

The demographics from these towns are as different as night and day, with a yuppie gentrification seeping in as the condos and "luxury" domiciles are built anywhere that is either close enough to se ethe city, or walk to a method of transportation to the city.

Also, the corruption is VERY stron in all of these districts, and will take generations to either remedy, or at least get to the same level as everywhere else.

I do wish there were more direct lines to areas like Brooklyn from Hoboken, but given the record of the NYC Transit system and the fact that the Path trains have been doing remarkably well in comparison, I would NOT try to merge them in any way shape or form...

It would be nice, however, to extend the PATH lines past things like the WTC and 33rd streets.

Having an extension to Brooklyn (say the Heights, or Prospect Park), and/or up past 33rd street to Central Park would be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Nice thought, but not practical.

The demographics from these towns are as different as night and day, with a yuppie gentrification seeping in as the condos and "luxury" domiciles are built anywhere that is either close enough to se ethe city, or walk to a method of transportation to the city.

Also, the corruption is VERY stron in all of these districts, and will take generations to either remedy, or at least get to the same level as everywhere else.
    I really don't think that the differences between the towns are so drastic. In fact, they're probably less drastic than the differences between different neighborhoods in Manhattan. Don't you think it's impractical for towns like Guttenberg and West New York to have seperate governments when they are part of a continuous urban area? If anything, the current situation is impractical.

I think Guttenberg and West New York should merge with North Bergen and Union City should merge with Jersey City and become and extension of the Heights. Union City is the youngest city in the state it was formed in 1925 as a merger of the smaller municipalities of West Hoboken and Union Hill. When JC was formed and they voted for annexing other towns. Union Hill wanted to join the newly formed city of JC in 1838 but it wasn't contiguous because West Hoboken was next to the JC Heights and they voted to be independent. The only reason I say consolidate these cities is because they don't have much history and they have small governments that would be served better by the larger municipalites. Also they don't have much history compared to Bayonne, Jersey City, Hoboken, and Weehawken which are all rich with deep history going back to the 1660s

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320
    I think Guttenberg and West New York should merge with North Bergen and Union City should merge with Jersey City and become and extension of the Heights. Union City is the youngest city in the state it was formed in 1925 as a merger of the smaller municipalities of West Hoboken and Union Hill. When JC was formed and they voted for annexing other towns. Union Hill wanted to join the newly formed city of JC in 1838 but it wasn't contiguous because West Hoboken was next to the JC Heights and they voted to be independent. The only reason I say consolidate these cities is because they don't have much history and they have small governments that would be served better by the larger municipalites. Also they don't have much history compared to Bayonne, Jersey City, Hoboken, and Weehawken which are all rich with deep history going back to the 1660s
    Well, Jersey City is itself an amalgamation of other smaller cities. Even if all the cities were to combine into one, couldn't they still retain their individual identities and histories?

Nah, you're not getting greedy enough. I'd make a play for Newark, Irvington, Orange, East Orange, and possibly Elizabeth as well. The suburbanites in Essex have been whispering secession for years, and I think they'd let it go. Only problem is, the urban areas in NJ are the power base for the Democratic party. That's why its not practical, the rest of the Dems would never allow it. You'd have to wait for the Republicans to control all levels of power in NJ with veto proof margins.

I've floated a similar solution before: simply roll up the MTA into the Port Authority. Then you could run all the subways into NJ you want (I'd start with the 7 and 6 connecting to the uptown and WTC PATH, and the E train to JC, Bayonne, and Staten Island, for starters).

Banned Member

I'll secondthe motion to trade Staten Island for at least Hoboken.

So long as we get the smoking ban, I am all for it...

I love New York but why does everyone assume that everyone wants to be apart of New York. I like to think of the NJ Goldcoast to be the mecca of NJ like NY all the boroughs are great but Manhattan is King. TomAuch how dare you insult the Village by comparing it to that Hellhole known as Hoboken. An BrooklynRider you can have Hoboken but you have to keep Staten Island.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by macmini
    I love New York but why does everyone assume that everyone wants to be apart of New York. I like to think of the NJ Goldcoast to be the mecca of NJ like NY all the boroughs are great but Manhattan is King. TomAuch how dare you insult the Village by comparing it to that Hellhole known as Hoboken. An BrooklynRider you can have Hoboken but you have to keep Staten Island.

Hellhole?

Excuse me, this is one guy living in that "hellhole". When was the last time you were here? If it has not been in the past 10 years I would shut my mouth and take an oh-so-expensive $1.50 trip across the river to take a look.

It sounds like you are going on the word of others, or ancient history, rather than what is currently true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast