Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clinton Cove Park

Clinton Cove Park, extending from 55th to 57th Street, is under construction and expected to open to the public in 2005.

This two-acre park will be planted with lawns and shade trees and will include a public boat house at the waterfront and a number of other amenities.

Among other things, Park users will have access to a café in the UnConvention Center, which will border the Park on the south, and also to the public walkway extending out to the western end of Pier 94.

Saturday, May 14th, 2005
    Walking Tour of Hudson River Park
    11:00 am - 3:30 pm
    Manhattan

Trace the history and future of the west side waterfront during a five-mile walk through Hudson River Park. Sponsored by Friends of Hudson River Park (FoHRP), this comprehensive walking tour will span the entire length of the Park, beginning in Clinton and winding through the waterfronts of Chelsea, Greenwich Village, and Tribeca. Each section of the tour will be led by a neighborhood expert, and will feature both the history of the area as well as the future plans for the Park.

The tour, which meets at the new boathouse in Clinton Cove Park (Pier 96, at 56th Street), costs $15 per person, with discounts for members of Friends of Hudson River Park. A picnic lunch will be provided.

The walk begins in the Clinton Cove Upland section, where Meta Brunzema of the Hell’s Kitchen Neighborhood Association will kick off the tour at the new boathouse. The tour will move southward into Chelsea, where historian Matt Postal will point out the architectural highlights of the area. From there, the tour moves into Greenwich Village, where a picnic lunch will be served on the 800-acre Christopher Street pier.

Finally, the tour winds through Tribeca. Rip Hayman, a longtime Tribeca resident and owner of the historic Ear Inn, will discuss the rich history of the Tribeca waterfront.

For more information and reservations, contact Friends of Hudson River Park at 212-757-0981 x 205 or email tours@fohrp.org.

Tour meets at Clinton Cove Park boathouse (Pier 96, at 56th Street).
    More Information:
    Phone number: 212-757-0981 x 205

Default Private Passage - Clinton Cove Park

Hi all. My first post here. Last year I worked on the CAD and visualisations for Malcolm Cochran's public art piece "Private Passage" for Clinton Cove Park.The piece is a 29' wine bottle with the recreation of a cabin from the original Queen Mary inside of it. The park is on the location where the Queen Mary used to berth. I was looking for recent images online (I live in Edinburgh, Scotland) and found Edward's post. It is great to see the piece onsite.

Malcolm emailed me last night and told me that the Park's dedication is at 2pm next Thursday 19th May. It would be great to see some images of the event posted here.

"...As a child, Malcolm Cochran and his father took a voyage to Europe, sailing from a pier on the Hudson River in New York. As a recipient of a Hudson River Park Trust commission, Cochran is now creating a public art project that provides a clever nod not only to his own experience, but to the glory days of luxury liner cruising that once dominated the travel industry in New York.

“My idea evolved from doing a model of an ocean liner to putting that inside a bottle, like a ship in a bottle,” Cochran said. “But when I think about traveling, it’s not so much the exterior, but it’s the cabin that becomes important.”
    Cochran’s giant wine bottle is made of steel and coated with zinc and bronze, which will receive a bottle green patina. The interior, viewed through seven portholes and through openings in the neck and bottom ends of the work, will be stainless steel and mimics the stateroom of a luxury liner. The interior is inspired by photographs of the RMS Queen Mary, which first sailed in 1936, and is documented well enough for him to use as an example to pattern his designs. Using stainless steel will give the interior the look of a black and white photo, Cochran said: “I wanted it to have that silver tone and sheen to it.” From: http://oncampus.osu.edu/article.php?id=333

I have some in progress images at: http://home.btconnect.com/rootoftwo/index.htm

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rootoftwo
    The park is on the location where the Queen Mary used to berth.
    Not quite so. The park adjoins Piers 95 and 96. Queen Mary normally berthed at Pier 90, as shown in this photo from 1939 (she's on the south side of Pier 90, already wearing her wartime livery; four-funnelled Aquitania lies on the other side of the pier, and Normandie and Ile de France are docked at Pier 88). Piers 88 and 90 are the two piers that are visible in WiredNewYork Webcam 1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1939.jpg 
Views:	1107 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	842  
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; May 14th, 2005 at 05:18 PM.

Default I stand corrected

Thanks for putting me straight ManhattanKnight. I've never actually been to the site - I did all the work in the UK from the Landscape Architect's drawings. It's quite a shock to see the piece in context because I didn't have dimensions for the surrounding buildings. I'd be interested in hearing what people think of "Private Passage" if they've seen it.

More of the new Clinton Cove Park area....

Hi rootoftwo-
    I came upon the bottle while rollerblading last week. I love it! a friend and I were passing by and of course we had to look inside. Wow! this is really clever and beautifully executed. Very impressive.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    Hi rootoftwo-
    I came upon the bottle while rollerblading last week. I love it! a friend and I were passing by and of course we had to look inside. Wow! this is really clever and beautifully executed. Very impressive.
    What's inside??

Talking

Wow thanks for the pics...

I really have to go see the park. The bottle is really cool. Please dont tell us whats inside... let people go see it for themselves!

hehe...

Ok you can tell us if you want.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    Wow thanks for the pics...

I really have to go see the park. The bottle is really cool. Please dont tell us whats inside... let people go see it for themselves!

hehe...

Ok you can tell us if you want.
    Boo, at least let me get a hint...or a PM!

Default Private Passage - interior

For those that asked. Based on photos of cabins from the original Queen Mary.

Last edited by rootoftwo; June 3rd, 2005 at 10:34 AM.

Clinton Cove Park. 6 August 2005.

Clinton Cove Park at night. 24 August 2005.

Thumbs up

Excellent pics!

CLINTON COVE MUSIC SERIES
    Tuesday Evening Music on the Hudson
    Friends, Friends of Clinton Cove and the Hudson River Park Trust will co-sponsor this free monthly music series in Clinton Cove Park at 55th Street. Concerts start at 6 PM and will have lawn seating only. Bring your own picnic or buy dinner on site.

Tuesday, May 23, 6PM. Zikrayat
    This group will present a repertory of traditional Arabic music, song and dance, but with a contemporary bounce.
    Tuesday, June 13, 6PM. Trinity String Quartet
    The program will include a variety of classical music for strings to accompany the setting sun over the Hudson.
    Tuesday, July 11, 6PM. The Strines
    This punk rock group will fill Clinton Cove with upbeat songs and the blast of its unbridled energy.
    Tuesday, August 8, 6PM. The Central Park Brass
    The program will include classical and other selections by this well-known brass ensemble.

cool pics. NYC keeps geting better and better. I'll hceck it out next time I'm in NY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast