Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Sixties Demolitions

I also think a 400+ foot statue of Ayn Rand would be wonderful (she could be holding miniatures of Gary Cooper and Pat O'Neil in her palm) and a whole trend could start. I also suggest a 400+ statue of Woody Allen replacing the parachute jump in Coney Island and a 400+ statue of Bobby Fisher replacing the crumbling Erasmus Hall in Flatbush.

The lively 12-page discussion about landmarking the Silver Towers was turned into its own thread: Silver Towers - I.M. Pei.

Go there to continue that discussion.

Why doesn't anybody recognise the City Investing Building? It was demolished to make way for One Liberty Plaza, too. It was completed in the same year as the Singer Building.

Here's the City Investing Tower from nyc-architecture.com (in front -- just to the north -- of the old Singer) ...

And here's what they have to say:

The City Investing Tower, built in 1908, was gigantic - and an utter mess.

The awkwardness of the building stemmed partly from the fact that the investors
    bought every parcel of land on the block, except one (see photo). They could only
    build two wings instead of a nice symmetrical three.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

What a terrible trade-off: the Singer building + City Investing for One Liberty Plaza.

Other all-time terrible trades that just tears your heart out:

...obviously the former Penn Station for MSG () but also the lesser known "Newspaper Row" for a bunch of entrance ramps to the Brooklyn Bridge.

All of them really hurts.

I don't think One Liberty Plaza is bad. I also think the City Investing Building and Singer building are interesting, but I don't want them brought back. the 13-47 floors of the Singer Building were quite small, but if those two buildings were still alive, we would have converted them into residential. The Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower probably has similar floor size to the Singer Building.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

You can't have them back even if you wanted to. The Singer and City Investing, especially the former, would be extremely difficult if not impossible by today's standards, to replicate.

Meanwhile, One Liberty Plaza can be replicated over and over and over and over again very easily, although, no one in their right mind would even do so today.

What does that tell you about each of them?

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Just this past weekend I was walking down Broadway south of Chambers and had a sinking feeling upon thinking of the demo of the Singer building. I really miss it eventhough I never saw it in person.

i remember seeing pictures I think on old pictures of nyc on skyscrapercity . com and it had pictures of inside the singer bldg lobby. It was beautiful. It they can rebuild and reconstruct old palaces in europe that were destroyed by war they sure can rebuild this one, but it would be a hell of a lot money. Plus I think if it would it would take the project planning forever to gets on its feet. But you never know.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011