Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Yorker Hotel - 481 Eighth Avenue - by Sugarman and Berger

Default New Yorker Hotel - 481 Eighth Avenue - by Sugarman and Berger

Just a quick question, or two. Does anyone know what happened to the second half of the 'W' in 'NEW YORKER' on 34th/9? It looks like NEI with the top of the I tipping to the left.

Second, just curious, but since that building is residential now, I wasnt sure if it has any past as offices for or in-relation-to the New Yorker (Magazine)?

I could be way off, but isn't that building still a hotel and not condos? I don't believe it ever had nor does it now have anything to do with the magazine of the same name.

I'm almost positive its at least partial residential, i know a few people who have claimed to buy units there.

The New Yorker is on 8th Ave. between 34th & 35th -- it doesn't extend alll the way to 9th Ave.

It was never offices for the New Yorker magazine.

When built in 1930, this Art Deco hotel was the largest in New York, with 2,500 rooms, 150 launderers, 92 telephone operators, 42 barber chairs, 35 master cooks, 20 manicurists, 10 dining salons, five restaurants and the nation's largest private power plant.
    It was the headquarters for Leo Durocher's Brooklyn Dodgers during the 1941 World Series, and Joe DiMaggio's home-game home. Big bands led by the likes of Benny Goodman, Woody Herman and the Dorsey Brothers played here. Electrical genius Nikola Tesla died in his room here January 7, 1943.

After decades of decline, it was bought by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church in 1976, and served as its World Universal Church. In 1994, the Church reopened part of the building as a Ramada Inn franchise, under the old name. Woody Allen filmed scenes for Radio Days and Bullets Over Broadway in the ballroom here.

On June 1st, 1994, the New Yorker Hotel Management Co., Inc. returned the building to hotel use by opening it with 178 renovated rooms. After that, the number of the refurbished rooms increased steadily, with the current number of 1,000 rooms reached by the end of the 1990s. The top three floors house 70 large tower suites and on the top is the panoramic Sky Lounge. Since 2000 the New Yorker has been a part of the Ramada hotel chain.

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/MID129.htm

Banned Member

I don't love the sign, but I think it is a beautiful building.

The famous and underrated inventor Nicola Tesla died penniless in this hotel. His laboratory was on Bleecker near Broadway.

So sweet i think ill try that trick at the plaza

I hate that ugly "New Yorker" sign.

Its a landmark of the skyline from nj

Quote Originally Posted by redhot00
    The famous and underrated inventor Nicola Tesla died penniless in this hotel. His laboratory was on Bleecker near Broadway.

It's nice to know that someone knows who Nicola Tesla is!

As for the sign....I don't mind it much. I just think it needs some sprucing up.

the building wouldnt be the same without the sign - it would be like the old manhattan bank without the pyramid on top.

Oh my... that sign is beyond great. A work of pop art.

The beautiful old NYC that you guys lament when ever Ablarc posts old pictures, was filled with such signs: individual letters fastened to a supporting structure.... like the iconic HOLLYWOOD sign in LA. This is probably the last big one left in all of Manhattan. It should be landmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    Oh my... that sign is beyond great. A work of pop art.

This is probably the last big one left in all of Manhattan. It should be landmarked.
    Right on Fabrizio; a coat of paint and change the light bulbs.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast