Thread: Cyrus Field Building

Default Cyrus Field Building

I was just wondering if the Field Office Building is still around or not. Because if it isnt thats sad. theres a picture at www.atlantic-cable.com/Field/FieldBuilding.jpg
    Last edited by expose05; August 20th, 2005 at 11:11 PM.

I've never seen that building so I doubt it is still around. What street was it at?

The Dude Abides

It almost looks as if it used to be in the Battery area. The building in the right background looks like the old pier being renovated now, and two of the buildings in the foreground say "Battery" on them, eg Battery Clothing Store. The foreground almost looks like a beach, so I'd say it's been demolished.

I don't know but i found out on nyc architecture.com on the gone but not forgotten list but on that list they put the st. regis hotel on it and that building is not gone. so i just wondering if they just put it there like that.

I suppose it is possible it was near Radio Row maybe?

It is weird to think that the water was once right at West Street where the World Financial Center and Battery Park City is today.

That El in the photo follows the original shorelline - Greenwich St.

The Cyrus Field Building is still standing, but you wouldn't recognize it from the photo.

http://www.skyscraper.org/webwalk/pr...oadwayTour.pdf

Go to page 4

So we're talking about 1 Broadway -- which is not recognizable as the building in the pictures (most noticeably the cladding is different and the cupola is gone).

It appears from records at the Landmarks Preservation Commission that what now exists was built in 1919 - 1921, while the building in the photo appears to be from the 1880s (go to page 2):

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/lpc/pdf...r/08_13_02.pdf

Here is a link to some in-depth material regarding the block this building is on, particularly the building next door (5 - 11 Broadway, the Bowling Green Offices Building):

http://home.nyc.gov/html/lpc/pdfs/re...eenoffices.pdf

Info on 1 Broadway from the DOB website:

1 BROADWAY
    MANHATTAN 10004
    BIN# 1000043
    ADDRESSES:
    BROADWAY 1 - 1
    GREENWICH STREET 1 - 3
    BATTERY PLACE 1 - 1
    Health Area: 77
    Tax Block: 13
    Census Tract: 13
    Tax Lot: 1 BATTERY PLACE1 - 1
    Community Board: 1
    Condo: NO
    Buildings on Lot: 1
    Vacant: NO

And here's the C. of O. from 1922:

http://a810-cofo.nyc.gov/cofo/M/000/...M000004479.PDF
    Last edited by lofter1; August 21st, 2005 at 11:35 AM.

Does anyone have a recent photo of it

Here's some photos and info from:

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LM/L...NEBROADWAY.htm

architect: Edward H. Kimball
    date: 1884 (remodelled-refaced in limestone- 1922, Walter B. Chambers)

One Broadway, now a Citibank, was formerly owned by the International Mercantile Marine Company. It was purchased by the IMM in 1920-21, so is post-Titanic but is definitely a pertinant site. There are two side doors depicting "First Class" and "Cabin Class" entrances. Along this sidewalk now is a major bus stop so it was difficult to get these photos during rush hour when I was there.

This relatively small 1882 neoclassical building marks the beginning of Broadway. General Washington's revolutionary headquarters was an even earlier occupant of the site.

The owners, known eventually as the United States Line, incorporated many marine symbols in a 1921 facade update, just as their competitor the Cunard Line had done two years earlier. The grand entryway is surrounded by shells and sea icons, and the second floor windows alternate with colorful Venetian mosaic shields of great port cities. Inside, two gigantic murals depict shipping lanes and a compass dominates the marble floor.

The booking room is modelled after an 18th century ballroom. It is a regal setting with columns and fanciful iron mezzanine railings at either end and four impressive chandeliers. The current tenant uses it as its banking floor.

To make a statement about your own status, you can enter or leave by one of the two doors facing Battery Place. One is for First Class, the other, Cabin.

Not so bad. Im glad the building still exists though. Thank you all for helping me.

Over the mother-of-pearl numbered Broadway entrance:
    Hermes - god of commerce and travel.
    Poseidon - god of the sea.