Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Murray Hill / Kips Bay

Default Murray Hill / Kips Bay

Hey everyone -

Any thoughts on the Murray Hill/Kips Bay area? I just want the lowdown - the good the bad and the ugly? How is it like living there? Overpriced? Undervalued? New Condo Developments? Easy access to all amenities? Crimes? Ethnic makeup? Young and upcoming? Filled with old folks? let me know!

MOZ

This NYT article was recently published about the neighborhood.

Dull Is Beautiful: Learning to Love the Tedium of Murray Hill
    By LESLIE EATON
    Published: August 7, 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/ny...ty/07colm.html

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3
    This NYT article was recently published about the neighborhood.

Dull Is Beautiful: Learning to Love the Tedium of Murray Hill
    By LESLIE EATON
    Published: August 7, 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/ny...ty/07colm.html
    Just clicked on it - couldnt read it somehow -

What is your personal opinion?

Murray Hill is the neighborhood that real estate brokers sucker recent college grads/people who have never lived in NYC into moving to.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    Murray Hill is the neighborhood that real estate brokers sucker recent college grads/people who have never lived in NYC into moving to.
    How about gramercy? do you live in the city schadenfrau?

so the question is - do you feel murray hill is a good place to live?

Check my location to figure out my location.

Whether or not Murray Hill is a good place to live is really a matter of what you're looking for.

Murray Hill is known to be dull. It is known to be populated by recent college grads and people who are fresh to New York City. It's on the east side of Manhattan. If that's what you're looking for, it's a good place to live. If that's not what you're looking for, it is not a good place to live.

Banned Member

It's an "average" neighborhood.

No one is running to any hot trendy bars or restaurants in Murray Hill. It has perfectly fine amenities - it just isn't a particularly "hot" neighborhood.

It's Midtown South. Not bad for a person working in Midtown on the eastside or who commutes downtown or works at the hospitals.

The 6 train is the only transportation along with the bus.

Perhaps if you tell us what YOU are looking for, we can answer som direct questions.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    It's an "average" neighborhood.

No one is running to any hot trendy bars or restaurants in Murray Hill. It has perfectly fine amenities - it just isn't a particularly "hot" neighborhood.

It's Midtown South. Not bad for a person working in Midtown on the eastside or who commutes downtown or works at the hospitals.

The 6 train is the only transportation along with the bus.

Perhaps if you tell us what YOU are looking for, we can answer som direct questions.
    I am looking for apartments in the Upper East Side (too pricey), murray hill, hoboken and gramercy. Gramercy is probably THE BEST out of the bunch right? And most residents get the KEY to the park too right?

so in other words, murray hill is boring..... how sad....

Check my location to figure out my location.

Whether or not Murray Hill is a good place to live is really a matter of what you're looking for.

Murray Hill is known to be dull. It is known to be populated by recent college grads and people who are fresh to New York City. It's on the east side of Manhattan. If that's what you're looking for, it's a good place to live. If that's not what you're looking for, it is not a good place to live.
    Actually i really want to live in the city. I want to get an apartment (studio or 1 br) in an area that is not too far from WTC (20 minute subway ride), close to a gym, pharmacy, a market without all the bars and such you know? I really dont like places where it gets really crowded late at night around 10pm and etc.

your thoughts?

and yes i just checked - you are from south bronx -

Hoboken and jersey City are good places to look as well.

The PATH train will get you to downtown in about 15 minutes, and they go about every 7 min during rush hour (about every 30-45 late night).

If you are looking at Hoboken, a lot of the old buildings are rent controled, so you may want to look for a place that is NOT brand new and DEFINITELY not "luxury".

For information on this, you may want to call Carol McLaughin at 201-420-2396 and she could tell you lots more. Just be REALLY nice to her, she can help you through a lot of BS and save you a lot of money....

As for Murray, I would not be able to help you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey
    Actually i really want to live in the city. I want to get an apartment (studio or 1 br) in an area that is not too far from WTC (20 minute subway ride), close to a gym, pharmacy, a market without all the bars and such you know? I really dont like places where it gets really crowded late at night around 10pm and etc.
    Sounds like Murray Hill is the place for you then. Like a previous poster said, the amenities there are perfectly adequate, so you should have no problem finding a pharmacy and a market to your liking. If you don't want to live among a lot of bars, but want them nearby, well you are just north of Gramercy, and just south of Turtle Bay, both of those neighborhoods are loaded with bars.

Not everyone who lives in Gramercy gets a key to the park. The boundaries that make up Gramercy are not all that clearly defined, so you may think you live there, but are not eligible for a key.

Quote Originally Posted by redhot00
    Sounds like Murray Hill is the place for you then. Like a previous poster said, the amenities there are perfectly adequate, so you should have no problem finding a pharmacy and a market to your liking. If you don't want to live among a lot of bars, but want them nearby, well you are just north of Gramercy, and just south of Turtle Bay, both of those neighborhoods are loaded with bars.

Not everyone who lives in Gramercy gets a key to the park. The boundaries that make up Gramercy are not all that clearly defined, so you may think you live there, but are not eligible for a key.
    To everyone - thank you for responding to my thread - i will keep looking around. I have an open house around the Beekman area this afternoon and ill let you know what happens.

once again, thank you!

Gramercy Park is far more expensive than the Upper East Side. In fact, the UES is one of the cheaper places to find an apartment in Manhattan, now. However, if you're looking to commute to the World Trade Center site, you'd do better to live on the west side.

Forum Veteran

I think Morrissey should live in Brooklyn Heights. There is certainly no nightlife, it's close to downtown, and it has the same homogeneity that all those bland boring east side neighborhoods have in common. Plus a better view.

That said, I've met a lot of people who live in Murray Hill and love it. Kind of a suburban/frat culture that transplants miss(?). Great Indian food is a plus...

Gramercy Park is far more expensive than the Upper East Side. In fact, the UES is one of the cheaper places to find an apartment in Manhattan, now. However, if you're looking to commute to the World Trade Center site, you'd do better to live on the west side.
    west side? hmmm i dont think that area is safe no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast