Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 105 Norfolk Street - Blue Condo - by Bernard Tschumi

City Realty
    February 14, 2006

"Blue" tower on Lower East Side now half way up

“Blue,” the 16-story residential condominium building at 105 Norfolk Street on the Lower East Side, is expected to be topped out in May and occupancy is scheduled for the fall.

The building is about half-way up. It will have 32 apartments that will range in price from about $745,000 to $3,950,000. About a third of the units have already been sold.

A two-bedroom, two-bath unit with about 1,975 square feet on the 15th floor is priced at about $2,350,000 and a one-bedroom, 1-bath unit with 785 square feet on the 8th floor is priced at about $880,000.

The building has been designed by Bernard Tschumi, whose projects include Parc Villette in Paris, the Vacheron Constantin headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, a concert hall in Rouen, France, and the Lerner Hall Student Center at Columbia University where he was dean of architecture from 1988 to 2003.

The design of “Blue” is notable for its unusual, angled geometry and its “pixilated” façade of blue glass. Norfolk Hudson LLP, a venture of Angelo Cosentini and John Carson, is the developer. Its other projects include The Atalanta at 25 North Moore Street, 637 Hudson Street and 58 Thomas Street.

The building is on the site of the former parking lot belonging to Ratner’s, the famous kosher restaurant, and its sales office at 100 Norfolk Street occupies Ratner’s former restaurant kitchen that was briefly occupied by Lansky’s Lounge, a night club named after Meyer Lansky, before and after the restaurant’s closing last year.

The building, will have a full-time doorman, reportedly the first residential building on the Lower East Side to have such a feature, as well as apartments with bamboo floors, floor-to-ceiling windows, individual storage units, and residential communal outdoor space on the second and fifth floors.

Its entrance will be a plaza with large rocks and bamboo trees in front of an building-wide angled marquee. Kitchens will have glass-fronted cabinets and bathrooms will have pebbled floors and large raised sinks.

The Norfolk Street project is separated by a one-story building that houses a nightclub from another striking new condominium project, the “Switch” building at 109 Norfolk Street, a 7-story building now under construction designed by Narchitects where the floors zig-zag and forth with gentle angles creating a lively façade and a new twist on bay windows. It is just to the south of the very pleasant, red-brick Asian Americans for Equality Community Center at 111 Norfolk Street designed by Victor M. Morales, a building that was completed last year.

“Blue” will be the most visible of three new projects on Norfolk Street between Delancey and Rivington Streets. Just up the block is the “Switch” building at 109 Norfolk, a 7-story building designed by Narchitects with a zig-zag façade of angled floors that is near another new building at 115-9 Norfolk Street that has been designed by Grzywinksi Pons Architects, the firm that designed THOR (The Hotel on Rivington Street) nearby at 107 Rivington Street.

Copyight © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY.COM INC.

Curbed
    February 22, 2006

A photo of Switch next to its kinda-sorta neighbor, BLUE. You can almost see poor little block holdout Tonic wedged in between the two. God speed, little experimental music venue.

Copyright © 2006 Curbed

This area's really shaping up.

(I know: for some it's getting dull.)

Curbed
    April 5, 2006

BREAKING: BLUE is, uh, Blue

by Lockhart

Hello, BLUE! On Delancey Street, the dream begins to fully take flight as the first glass panels hit the facade. Even knowing reality could never quite match the vision, there's still something about this that made us a little sad. A quick visit to the BLUE website, though, and the world is sunny again.

Copyright © 2006 Curbed

Walked by this site yesterday, and it looks far better than what the image would suggest. While a tad darker than what was expected, it is by no means as extreme as the photo would suggest. Overall, the quality looks fantastic. This is going to look great coming down Delancy from the Williamsburg Bridge. Now if only something could be done on the one story bar next door. It is hideous, and now grossly out of place between this, and exposees the entire ugly, concrete wall of the Switch building (also looking wonderful).

I do, however, really hate the trend in street level setbacks. Seems very unnescassary here, and creates a truly odd effect walking down Norfolk

At least the glass looks nice and flat and the frames look well put together. In the renderings the glass appeared maybe mirrored. Happy to see it´s not.

Was in the neighborhood, thought I'd check up on Blue:

I think Blue is great....it brings something that most other new buildings don't....uniqueness!

Nice pics.

Banned Member

It's an interesting design, but its placement is kind of like wearing an evening gown to a barn dance.

Is this intersection craawling with hipsters? The irony potential is unbelievable...

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT
    Was in the neighborhood, thought I'd check up on Blue:

That is very cool! Thanks for the pics... I guess is almost Top out.

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    I guess is almost Top out.
    Looks like it has already reached its full height.

Is it me, or does the building look alot smaller than in the rendering? I think its the small squares that tend to trick the eye into thinking there are more floors then are there.

It seems clear that it's not much taller than the other tower in the rendering, but yeah, I see what you mean about the small squares.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1
    I think its the small squares that tend to trick the eye into thinking there are more floors then are there.
    That's right, they're a device to change the scale and make it ambiguous. When the skin is complete we'll see if it works. I kind of wish the building actually possessed the vastness it seeks to project. This area doesn't need the height and bulk limitations the zoning mandates; this is no West Village, so there's no need for such daintiness here.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast