Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

One logical and positive response:

http://www.redcross.org/index.html

Banned Member

Someone explain to me looters stealing televsions, when they have no home and the city id being evacuated.

Forum Veteran

I can't speak from personal experience, but I imagine looting is a reaction to economic oppression in a culture that values material accumlation above all else and the emotionally intense experience of living through trauma. And people are bastards.

The news is focused on the really salacious images of whole neighborhoods flooding to the rafters, but there are lots of areas in New Orleans that didn't flood, or just have nussance-level flooding, so there's probably a practical way to loot, though I can't imagine consuming anything that's been dragged through cootie-fied flood water like this woman's bread. yuck. Soda, sure, with a wipe and a straw.

I can see people breaking in to get food and water, but even then they are not doing it to help anyone but themselves. It is just another indication on how primitive a RACE we still are.

This stuff is not unique to us. Baghdad comes to mind.

When everyone is trying to fight through something, there will be a significant number that will try to get whatever they can from those that cannot defend it.

Looting is really far down on the list of things people should be worrying about right now. In spinning your wheels over something so insignificant, you're ignoring the fact that the state did practically nothing to help citizens without cars or money.

There were no buses out of New Orleans, no transportation to the Superdome.

It's disgusting that people are criticizing the victims of this tragedy by acting like people were either too stupid to leave or had criminal intentions in staying. When all of this is over, there will be hundreds, if not thousands, of dead poverty-stricken people.

But, by all means, complain about people stealing a television set.

^ Well Said.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ryan

A caption that I saw in the news said that the people in the right-hand photograph had "found" the goods they were carrying, while the man in the right-hand photograph had "looted" them.

So apparently the message was that white people find things but black people loot them.

Here's a great item about the reasoning behind racist overtones in this hurricane coverage:

http://www.pandagon.net/archives/200...g_out_the.html

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    A caption that I saw in the news said that the people in the right-hand photograph had "found" the goods they were carrying, while the man in the right-hand photograph had "looted" them.

So apparently the message was that white people find things but black people loot them.
    Yes, I should have attributed this to wonkette:

"Finding" versus "Looting"

Please match the pictures above with its -- ahem -- correct caption below.

1:

2:

Solution: An apology from AP?
    AP
    AFP

READ MORE: afp , ap , katrina , press gaffes

Forum Veteran

Great blog - a daily read.

Oops.

Their bad.

Shade, as for the whole transport, I think I said that somewhere (maybe not here, I think to the GF).

There were some people who were idiots that did not leave. There were others that were unfortunate and could not leave.

Ironically, the stupid ones had more to lose, and they did.

Forum Veteran

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

It's our turn to help Biloxi
    By Michael Daly
    Wednesday, August 31st, 2005

With news of the awesome destruction down South comes a memory from the terrible days after 9/11, when a big banner went up in Times Square.

"Biloxi loves NYC!" the banner announced.

The banner was sent by Biloxi High School to Stephen Pitalo, a graduate of the Class of 1986 who had moved from that Mississippi city to New York and became a TV and radio producer. He also received boxes of relief supplies collected by students at the Biloxi grammar school he attended, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Along with hanging the banner, Pitalo personally delivered the boxes to the recovery effort at what had been the World Trade Center. The gloves, socks, goggles and first-aid cream no doubt came in handy, but what mattered most was the goodwill from Biloxi and so many other places.

It felt as if goodness itself had risen in response to the absolute evil that struck in downtown Manhattan. The country and indeed the world seemed to unite behind us.

These four years later, we had particular cause to remember the message of love from Biloxi, as reports of the havoc wreaked by Hurricane Katrina flashed on the news zipper directly above where the banner had hung in Times Square.

Pitalo's grandmother as well as several aunts and uncles still live in Biloxi, but he reports that they all had evacuated before the storm hit. He noted that his family had lived there for generations and had seen dozens of hurricanes.

"They knew that the smart thing to do is get out," Pitalo said yesterday.

The 36-year-old had himself lived through seven hurricanes before moving North. He had found this to be good training for that September day in 2001 when he glanced up at the Jumbotron in Times Square on the way to work and saw one of the twin towers ablaze. The second plane struck as he arrived at his office on Broadway and he got right on the phone to assure his family in Biloxi that he was all right.

"That's what you do in a hurricane, too," Pitalo said yesterday. "There's something about having gone through a lot of hurricanes that makes you snap into emergency mode and know the things you need to do."

Until this week, the worst hurricane to strike Biloxi in modern times was Camille in 1969.

"It had such an overwhelming effect on the coast," Pitalo said. "Until very recently people always referred to it as The Hurricane."

Now there is Katrina.

"There's a whole generation I'm sure that is going to refer to this as The Hurricane," he said.

He noted that his grandmother's house is less than a block from the beach.

"It pains me to think what she's going to come home to," he said.

But he understood that too many families had not been as fortunate as his own.

"Apparently, they're still finding bodies," he said.

Even so, Pitalo emphasized that he was not equating the storm with the attack on the World Trade Center. The news footage from down South shows mile after mile after mile of devastation, but this was only property. The direst predictions do not come anywhere near the death toll at the twin towers.

The numbers meant little when you watched the TV news footage of a man in Biloxi describing how his wife was swept away from his grip when the water tore into his house. She had yet to be found.

The footage prompted hundreds of calls to the network offering sympathy and support from all over, a welling of the same goodness that blessed us here after 9/11. Pitalo noted yesterday that both the Red Cross and the Salvation Army are accepting donations to assist with the relief effort in the hurricane zone.

"I hope people will remember there's folks down there who really need their help," Pitalo said.

Meanwhile, let us say this:

"NYC Loves Biloxi!"

And Gulfport and New Orleans and all those other stricken places that opened their hearts to us in our darkest time.

ęCopyright The New York Daily News 2005

The New York Yankees have donated $1 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    Looting is really far down on the list of things people should be worrying about right now. In spinning your wheels over something so insignificant,
    Sorry, I disagree, it's not insignificant, not even close. I heard this morning that a gang of looters invaded an N.O. nursing home with guns drawn, took food and drugs and threw the elderly, some in wheelchairs, out of their rooms. If this is insignificant to anyone, well than I don't know what else to say.

It makes me proud of our city that looting incidents after the 2003 blackout were at a minimum.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast