Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Platinum - 247 West 46th St @ Eighth Ave - Condo - by Costas Kondylis

Thanks for the info. I walked by Bennigan's at lunch time and noticed that it is closed. Hopefully, a developer bought that dump to redevelop it, and we can only hope that the yellow and orange slum next to it with the NY Lines and the B.K. will be razed too.

PS: Here's an article re: the sale of the Bennigan's dump from the 5/25/05 edition of The NY Times:

SQUARE FEET; TRANSACTIONS
    By JOHN HOLUSHA
    Published: May 25, 2005

Recent Sale

$11.75 million

771-773 Eighth Avenue
    at the corner of 47th Street

Manhattan
    This is a two-story 13,500-square-foot building occupied by Bennigan's restaurant.

Buyer: Lloyd Goldman
    Seller: New Rock Asset Partners
    Broker: Brian Ezratty, Eastern Consolidated
    JOHN HOLUSHA
    Last edited by londonlawyer; January 23rd, 2006 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    The description of the property on the DOB permit shows that the site is basically two over-lapping squares...
    Some clarification on my previous post ( http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...3&postcount=13 ):
    The NE portion of the site is where the Brooks Atkinson Theatre is situated (and where "The Odd Couple" is currently playing). Apparently the reason that plot is included in the McHales' tower site is due to air rights that were transferred. Therefore the actual building plot consists only of the McHale's building and the parking lot just to the north of that.

It appears that several buildings on the southeast corner of 48th and 8th (just south of McHale's) might be demolished. Several storefronts are empty and shuttered. It would be a shame to lose these buildings because they're in nice shape and have all of their ornamentation just like McHale's did.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I really find it disheartening to see old buildings with a lot of character demolished while absolute crap is not touched. As an example, the building with the China Club just north of McHale's is an utter eyesore, as are the buildings with the Benigins and the NY Tours, and the buildings near 56th and 8th with the McDonald's and Wendys. Nonetheless, there are no plans at the moment to demolish them.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Where will the stagehands drink?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

If the developer is smart, he'll bring the bar back into the new building's retail space instead of some streetlife-zapping bank branch or pharmacy.

As I have said before in another thread, this formula of bringing back popular or successful businesses displaced by the new development has a myriad of benefits to the developer, not the least being that it creates a better image for the developer and developments in general, in the eyes of the community.

streetlife-zapping bank branch or pharmacy.
    AMEN! So tired of all these soulless bank branches. When I saw the bank move in at the new Astor Place condos I had to retch.

any artist renderings released on this one?

The McHales building is covered in scaffolding / protective fabric (Christo would have done a more interesting job, IMO).

The old McHales sign is still on the building -- hoping someone will salvage it.

The building across the street with the empty storefronts (740 8th Ave.) didn't renew the lease for liquor store that had been there since forever, so you know they're serious about a change.

DOB records ( http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Pr...6BD08866A7430E ) show that it is a "hotel" and "SRO" (Single Room Occupancy). That could throw a wrench in the works of demolition.

Whatever -- it certainly looks as though this old TS classic is not long for this world.

The McHales building is covered in scaffolding / protective fabric (Christo would have done a more interesting job, IMO).

The old McHales sign is still on the building -- hoping someone will salvage it.

The building across the street with the empty storefronts (740 8th Ave.) didn't renew the lease for liquor store that had been there since forever, so you know they're serious about a change.

DOB records ( http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Pr...6BD08866A7430E ) show that it is a "hotel" and "SRO" (Single Room Occupancy). That could throw a wrench in the works of demolition.

Whatever -- it certainly looks as though this old TS classic is not long for this world.
    The hotel/SRO is the only occupied entity on the site. I hope that these buildings are not razed, but I am not optimistic.

Another sad moment for New York. We're losing characterful mid-echelon buildings at an alarming rate; a new Dark Ages is descending on the preservation scene.

No Penn Station yet (or ever again, I'm sure), but this midlevel has in its own way as much to do with New York's character, and it's going fast. The Automat, the beaux-arts townhouses, the East River power plant, 2 Columbus Circle and McHale's are or were all New York icons.Those folks at Landmarks are either corrupt or stupid (probably both). They are worse than useless because they are occupying positions that could be held by others who would do the job they're supposed to be doing. Phooey.

This sign is probably grandfathered. Does anyone know for sure if it could legally be built and placed from scratch as a new sign exactly as it is (cleaned up of course) and where it is --under the existing regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Another sad moment for New York. We're losing characterful mid-echelon buildings at an alarming rate; a new Dark Ages is descending on the preservation scene.

No Penn Station yet (or ever again, I'm sure), but this midlevel has in its own way as much to do with New York's character, and it's going fast. The Automat, the beaux-arts townhouses, the East River power plant, 2 Columbus Circle and McHale's are or were all New York icons.Those folks at Landmarks are either corrupt or stupid (probably both). They are worse than useless because they are occupying positions that could be held by others who would do the job they're supposed to be doing. Phooey.

I agree with you.

PS: Let's not forget The Drake and the YMCA which those SOBs Macklowe and Rosen are raping and murdering.

PPS: And the buildings on 72nd and B'way and the nice one on 30th and 6th which was just sold along with some crap.

Big shame about the Drake; every other building in this photo is new and dull.

You'd think they could convert it to condos without tearing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    This sign [ McHales ] is probably grandfathered. Does anyone know for sure if it could legally be built and placed from scratch as a new sign exactly as it is (cleaned up of course) and where it is --under the existing regulations?
    Zoning regs in TS area are very pro-signage -- particulary regarding illuminated signs. Seeing as how so much of the new signage consists merely of huge sheets of vinyl-type material with lights shining onto them (rather than your classic "white way" lit-by-bulbs signs) the return of this classic neon beauty should be encouraged in every way.

Zoning regs in TS area are very pro-signage -- particulary regarding illuminated signs. Seeing as how so much of the new signage consists merely of huge sheets of vinyl-type material with lights shining onto them (rather than your classic "white way" lit-by-bulbs signs) the return of this classic neon beauty should be encouraged in every way.
    In other words, you don't know. Neither do I; I agree with all your sentiments and observations, however.

This is very, very sad.

Londonlawyer, I agree so wholeheartedly with you.
    Will New York even have any of these alehouses left soon? I wish new buildings were being designed with retail spaces that more traditional NYC businesses could occupy.
    I better start taking my camera everywhere with me- places like McHales are an endangered species and need to be documented.

Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast