Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1113 York Avenue at East 60th Street

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Good find sfenn but that one (1133 York) is actually for the site across the street (E. 61) from the site of this one (1113 York).

This should make it clearer which site is which:

Also, it looks like that is a generic rendering used in marketing the site to prospective buyers/developers. To show what can be built.

is 1133 the building with the "scores?"

i swear i only know that because i pass it on the way to bed, bath & beyond.

edit: nm, i guess the bbb is on 1st, not york.

^Oh ok, well then we'll have two 30 story buildings to watch. These are quietly prominent spots too, right next to the bridge and close to the river.

This is what's proposed for the Potampkin site, 1133 York.

http://www.pjar.com/progress.html

Obviously the same form as Philip Johnson's "Habitable Sculpture". I wish they kept the same treatments, the new treatments are institutional boring. The original concept was great.

With glass it'll still be a welcome addition because of the dynamic form and its location, I just wish they would do something about that boring blue glass and gray tiles.

^Good catch, that was one of the most regrettable structures never built since this forum started.

I must say, I love how a park is pictured existing on the site of the now demolished garage. Ah, the magical world of renderings

Obviously the same form as Philip Johnson's "Habitable Sculpture". I wish they kept the same treatments, the new treatments are institutional boring. The original concept was great.
    Agreed.

The massing is an exact copy, isn't it? Wish the surface treatment were, as well. But as you say:

With glass it'll still be a welcome addition because of the dynamic form and its location...
    Last edited by NoyokA; August 4th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.

Sloan-Kettering pays $42M for UES building

1133 York Avenue
    By Adam Pincus

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center bought a four-story commercial building on the Upper East Side, nearby its main campus, for $42 million.

The building, at 1133 York Avenue at 61st Street, is six blocks south of the hospital's main location at 1275 York Avenue, at 67th Street.

The hospital went into contract on the purchase from Witkoff York LLC, a company affiliated with the Midtown realty company the Witkoff Group, on October 15 and closed December 4, according to property records published yesterday. Neither Witkoff nor the hospital responded to a request for comment.

There was no mortgage registered with the sale of the 46,191-squar- foot building on an 11,547-square-foot, corner parcel, indicating the purchase was an all-cash transaction.

It is unclear how the building will be used, or whether it will be demolished and the site would be developed into a new structure.

In November, The Real Deal reported that the hospital backed out of a $57 million contract to buy an apartment building at 360 East 57th Street. The hospital planned to use the 50-unit tower as housing for staff and doctors.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

That can't be good news (at least not for fans of better architecture in this city).

The city's hospitals have a poor track record of building nice looking towers (especially for staff housing like this one will be).

You can forget that multi-faceted design shown above. They'll probably get Kondylis to draw up a box and then call it a day.

A view of this site from the Queensboro Bridge:

Another fallow hole. Been that same way for months.

It's still better than the dumpy building that was there. I wish the Potampkin garage were gone too.

Any updates?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast