Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1113 York Avenue at East 60th Street

Default 1113 York Avenue at East 60th Street

Does anyone know what is going up on York Avenue between 60th and 61st streets?

A former garage is now covered in scaffold and has SOLOW9W57 (Solow Builders) signs covering the site. The garage seems to be under the process of being prepped for demolition and I assume the construction of a residential skyscraper will ensue. It appears SOLOW, builders of 9 West 57th street (the sloped building) and also the Con Ed site near the UN also have another East Side project up their sleeves.

SOLOW built Sutton Place North literally right next door, whose residents will unfortunately lose their river views with the construction of this new addition to the site.

^ Isn't it clever how developers first build a bit away from the site with the best view, sell the units in that building (marketing the "views") and then build something that kills the view and sell that.

I know all these buildings are being put up by the same developer, so there can't be collusion (??) ...

Maybe it's just that so much is going up so fast these days that no matter what gets built something else is going to come along that will infringe on the views.

Wasnt there 2 40-story towers that went up or were going up on this site? On that link I see only one tower which means this is the second one... Wow it took a while.

Maybe they wanted the first one to fill up with people and then build the next one. Just like you guys point out.

The second tower has floated around for a while. Davis Brody Bond confirms that it is under construction.

Additionally I think the design is pretty cool for a residential.

There is some construction activity going on at this site.

I used to live in this hole (specifically on 66th and York). Is that horrible Potampkin Cadillac still there on the north corner of 60th and York?

We discussed the Potamkin Garage a while back:
    The entrance to the garage was on 61st, directly across from the driveway for Solows existing building. The garage was ordered to vacate last March 07, and we were only given a weeks notice. The guys at the garage said the building had been sold and was being razed and the property redeveloped. I havent been over there since to see any progress. That building is real ugly.

^ Headshakingly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1 View Post

We discussed the Potamkin Garage a while back:
    The entrance to the garage was on 61st, directly across from the driveway for Solows existing building. The garage was ordered to vacate last March 07, and we were only given a weeks notice. The guys at the garage said the building had been sold and was being razed and the property redeveloped. I havent been over there since to see any progress. That building is real ugly.
    Thanks for the info. I hate that garage. I also hate the gas station and the dumpy hotel across the street.

One year later, the garage is still closed but no sign of demolition or work being done.

Foundation work has been under way for the last month. It was delayed because the ground was contaminated ( and probably still is).

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The address on file with the DOB for this project is: 1113 York Ave.

Currently, there are active (although not approved yet) permits for this Kondylis-designed (ugh!) project.

It will be 32 stories and 173 units. The renderings posted in this thread of the black glass tower should be discarded because it's outdated and no longer valid.

Yuck!

should of gone with the black glass

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast