Thread: Scoop on Herald Square Area?

Default Scoop on Herald Square Area?

Being a true city boy, I love the grit of the Herald Square area. I also relish the idea of being practically in front of Madison Square Garden. That said i was wonder what living in the area is like.

When i finish my Computer Science degree, i am planing to go to business school in New York, and am considering housing through Educational Housing Services.

I would be living on 8th avenue.

Thanks for any input,

Nicky

8th Avenue and what cross street?

South of 34th St. is an entirely different experience than north of 34th St.

Default Herald square zip code

The zip code of the building i would be in is 10001

Default ok here we go

34th and 8th avenue, the area near Penn station. (:-

lived at 34th & dyer (between 9&10) for 3 years (moved a yr ago). Rented from an owner in a co-op - doorman, 7th floor with and could see the lights of time square (if i went near my window). it's a good value, convenient to all subway lines, crosstown bus, good food delivery, 24 hr post office, but definitely a bit of drawbacks.

If you are looking to go downstairs and just have shopping and lots of food options, this isnt your place...
    When there is a big event at the javitz center, the place is filled with trash, broken glass, lots of congestion (street and sidewalk)
    It does not have a "neighborhood" feel to it.
    If you go north of say 35th street, west of 8th, it's not a good area...
    Holiday and rush hour tunnel traffic always backs up big time with the tunnel and it gets noisy with all of the honking.
    I liked to keep my window open and use a screen for fresh air year round and just crank the heat, and i would have a window sill that would get so black from the pollution coming from all the traffic
    Back to the noise - a lot of tractor trailors use that route for the tunnel and they blow those really loud air horns often

It was great for me as a 1st apt out of college, and served it's purpose...but it definitely depends on what you really want out of your surroundings... i'd be happy to answer any questions.

Default I Did Myself In

I ruined my credit along time ago, so i cant be too picky about antything. just hope this doenst mean living some were i know i dont really belong... (:---

well that area isnt an area that you can NOT belong in...because it doesnt have a real personality/character or as i said before a neighborhood feel. good luck

Default herald square continued...

I have walked around there at night, kinda dead.

Forum Veteran

That whole area will be changing as the Hudson yards plan unfolds, but it may take 10 years to see real change and a neighborhood to take hold

8th Avenue is where my friends and I go out. There seem to be quite a few bars and pubs in the area.