View Poll Results: Will you use the subway this week?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no change what so ever in my usual travels.

9 81.82%
  • No, I will use the bus or taxis instead.

1 9.09%
  • I will use the subway only when I feel it is a low risk.

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New York City Transit Threatened, Security Level Raised

Default New York City Transit Threatened, Security Level Raised

CNN: BREAKING NEWS

New York City is raising threat alert level for subway system, CNN has learned. AP reports a "credible security threat" as reason.
    Last edited by Law & Order; October 6th, 2005 at 09:27 PM.

Did they say anything specific against the metro-north communter rail lines? Are they a target too? Will those lines be checked as the subway?

Ididn't hear about this until I got home @ 7PM...

I entered Herald Square station about 6:30 PM -- no cops, dogs, nothing.

So why are they issuing this alert if their not sending out additional security?

Looks like I'll be walking for the next few days ...

Because this stuff creeps me out

Be sure to let us know if your bag gets searched or you see anything going on ...

Banned Member

Question

Actually, this is what happened:

Bush, sagging in the polls, makes a speech about terror - terror - terror. Us against them. They want to destroy us. Us. Them. Us. Them. Stay the course. Not gonna run. Stopped ten attacks. Us. Them. Us. Them. Karl Rove about to be indicted. America's enemies. Fight for democracy. Can't let the extremists get us. Us. Them. Us. Them. Us. Them.

Later that day.....

Hey, Mike! It's Mike Chertoff on the phone.... I said, "Mike Chertoff!".... Yes, you do - he's the new head of Homeland Security. Says he has hard facts - details of a planned attack on the NYC Subway.... Why yes the president did make that speech this morning...I know, what a strange coincidence. But, you know they already foiled ten planned attacks. Ten!..... I don't know he didn't say.... No the news outlets can't confirm them either... Anyway, Mr. Chertoff is holding.... Says, its "urgent!"....

Later that day....

We have received credible evidence that a well-orchestrated attack is planned against the NYC subway system. Don't you worry about a thing. Everyone should continue take the subway as usual.... I'm sorry I can't disclose the details.... No, we won't raise the terror alert from orange to red... People should just continue to spy on their neighbors, snitch on their friends, spread fearful rumors and continue to help us build a network of intimidation to rival anything the KGB, SAVAK or the SS ever had.

Later that night...

Mr. Mayor, what was the threat... I can't comment... What precautions are being taken?.... I can't comment.... Who informed you of the threat?... The Federal Government.... Were they credible on WMDs?... No commment... The White House / CIA Leak?... No comment.... National Preparedness for Disasters and Acts of Terror?.... No comment... The link between Iraq and 9/11?... No comment.... Is this all a coincidence that it happens a few hours after George W. Bush is sagging in the polls, was handed a defeat by his own party on the latest military appropriations bill, is getting hammered by conservatives over his latest Supreme Court choice, and is on the verge of seeing his chief political stategist indicted? Is it just a coincidence or more of a convenience?.... No more questions... See you all on the subways in the morning!...

Later that night...

Wow Mike! Is it a coincidence that this happened on the same day you skipped out on another mayoral debate? Wow! You would've gotten hammered in the press for the second snub. Even non-partisan groups were critical of your snub. But WOW, this is really convenient. Now the terror threat will be on page one and your picture will be plastered everywhere. It's like a Rudy Giuliani moment. Wow! What a coincidence!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I'm using my clear vinyl backpack for the duration.

Banned Member

Guess everyone is ignoring those important words that were also reported: "not deemed credible".

NY1 & CNN have just reported that Penn Station has been partially cordoned off due to a "suspicious package"

Banned Member

It's probably just unopened cleaning supplies that no one would sign for.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051007/...ity_newyork_dc

Amtrak officer at the scene told Reuters, "It was a soda can with a green liquid bubbling out, but it doesn't seem to be anything." By late morning, passenger were free to move freely. Amtrak operations were never disrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Later that night...
    Wow Mike! Is it a coincidence that this happened on the same day you skipped out on another mayoral debate? ...Wow! What a coincidence!
    What are you saying??

A politician would use fear to his advantage?????

Oh, come on now ....

Bush: NYC Acted Alone in Unveiling Threat

Oct 07 11:47 AM US/Eastern
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/07/D8D39HF04.html

WASHINGTON -- President Bush said Friday that New York City officials exercised their own prerogative in publicizing a subway terror threat, declining to second-guess that decision or suggest they had overreacted.

"Our job is to gather intelligence and pass it on to local authorities. And they make the judgments necessary to respond," Bush told reporters.

Administration security officials had said on Thursday the threat to New York was of "doubtful credibility," a phrase repeated earlier Friday by Bush's spokesman.

"The level of cooperation between the federal government and the local government is getting better and better. And part of that level of cooperation is the ability to pass information on. And we did, and they responded," Bush said during a picture-taking session at the White House with the prime minister of Hungary.

Asked if he thought New York officials had overreacted, Bush said: "I think they took the information we gave and made the judgments they thought were necessary. And the American people have got to know that, one, we're collecting information and sharing it with local authorities on a timely basis. And that's important."

Earlier, White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters: "In this case, we notified New York City officials early on of the intelligence information that we had received. And while it is specific, you heard our homeland security officials say it is of doubtful credibility. It is something we continue to analyze."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Wow Mike! Is it a coincidence that this happened on the same day you skipped out on another mayoral debate? Wow! What a coincidence!
    I don't think this could possibly be said any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    You can switch places with me and Ill be riding the subway non stop.
    Just please take care. That goes for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    So has the mayor always taken the subway to work? Doesnt he live on 68th Street or something?
    It's been his usual practice to travel on the subway -- not sure if he "always" takes it, but it's not like this is the first or only time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast