Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stay in harlem dangerous? other suggestions for apt?

Default stay in harlem dangerous? other suggestions for apt?

hi all

i dunno if im in the very right forum here but since i tried the board search i think this should be the place to post

we want to visit your funky town but we definitely dont want to stay in a typical tourist place

i am looking for a short term apartment with kitchen for 4 people

i found several stuff and the nicest was in harlem so far

i am not sure how the situation is there right now
    155 st / st nicholas ave
    maybe some of you live there or know if its safe to stay there if you have a white skin.. (i never understand whats up with this skin colour but it seems to matter somewhere)

if there is anyone with a good advice for renting an apartment from march 09 til march 21 around 1200 $ ?

doesnt matter if its clean and cheaper

i would love to read you guys

thanks in advance!

bish

Thing is, if you don't have a problem with it, other people will not have a problem with it.

You will be different in some of those areas, and will get some attension that is for sure, but so long as you do not look like you are in some foreign land, most people will not give you a second glance.

thanx ninja

viewing this forum learned me alot so far
    i am just thinking of some muggers or stuff

u can read loads of crime in harlem on the net but i am lookin forward and it seems to progress and less crime around

i have to explain it to the ladies.. because they are really afraid of this area so i ask about the situation right now

any advice is appreciated

thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Thing is, if you don't have a problem with it, other people will not have a problem with it.

You will be different in some of those areas, and will get some attension that is for sure, but so long as you do not look like you are in some foreign land, most people will not give you a second glance.
    I read this post with interest because I've wondered about this myself.

What you say might be a true and wise answer, Ninjahedge; despite the internal contradiction in the second sentence, it's evident what you mean. But if it's indeed true, pause for a second and consider its implications:

If you do look like you're in a foreign land, you can expect some trouble, because some of the locals are just dangerous enough to go after someone who doesn't look self-confident. This means you have to take special pains you might not need in a safer place, a form of appeasement.

I like a place where I can safely look clueless.

From his question, bishop seems to me like he might "feel like he's in a foreign land," so a responsible application of your insightful advice might be: "Don't stay in Harlem."

None of us want bishop's blood on our hands, even if he's possibly uncool.

Bishop's planning on walking the streets of New York City, not a shooting gallery. I think it's pretty safe to say that there won't be blood anywhere.

I would wager that the residents of Harlem have seen a white person before.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    Bishop's planning on walking the streets of New York City, not a shooting gallery. I think it's pretty safe to say that there won't be blood anywhere.

You read my mind Shhadenfrau from the Boogie Down Bronx. This irrational fear of neigborhoods like Harlem is just that, irrational. I can see Bishop, who is an out of towner being a little in the dark on this one, but the NY'ers on this forum need to correct those who think that a stroll through Harlem is equivalent to a stroll through Baghdad.

Despite what some on this forum think, the plummeting crime stats in NY are not a figment of someone's imagination.

Not all streets are equally safe. There's been great improvement in the crime situation in New York, but there's no point in being a pollyanna, even in the interest of political correctness. Too much potentially at stake: no one wants bishop even hassled; blood isn't the invariable outcome of unwelcome events. Back in the bad old days I attended a James Brown concert at the Apollo. My friends and I were at the receiving end of so much mean-spirited harrassment that I daresay even you, Schadenfrau, would have been rattled.

Obviously true, but irrelevant except for rhetorical effect.

The block he's talking about is fine. I've been there a few times myself and have had no trouble.

You're not an instant target for violence if you're a white person in a neighborhood that's not majority white. Would you expect that a black person would be the target of verbal attacks for walking through the West Village?

All I know is that walking through certain areas of NW Manhattan I have been looked at like I was some sort of zoo animal that got out.

But the thing was, it was not inimical, just more of a "I wonder what he is doing here" kinda look.

I got similar, but much more veiled looks when I was in Japan.

When I said trouble I meant it in the most general context. You will not be sneered at if you do not look at the locals like THEY were from some foreign land. You will have no problem with them other than a few inquisitive looks.

As for blood-safety. Just don't go looking for people in the 3 dark alleys left in Harlem at 2AM with money hanging out of your pockets.
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; October 14th, 2005 at 02:07 PM.

Would you expect that a black person would be the target of verbal attacks for walking through the West Village?
    No, but chances are he too would be less secure in Harlem. It's not purely a question of racial animosity.

Well, if you're afraid of black people, don't go to Harlem. End of story.

Well, if you're afraid of black people, don't go to Harlem. End of story.
    What if you are afraid of green people.

I don't like green people....

Stay away from hot dog carts and Red Lobster.

Stay away from hot dog carts and Red Lobster.
    I thought they just had back problems........

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    No, but chances are he too would be less secure in Harlem. It's not purely a question of racial animosity.
    Bzz wrong. 155th and St Nick is 33rd precinct. It has a crime index so far this year of 695. West Village, 6th precinct, is at 1395. I live in the 32nd precinct which is the heart of Central Harlem (previously known as "The Dangerzone"), and is also lower than the West Village with a rate of 1,011.

I wish people would stop looking for a reason to give my neighborhood a bad name.

You'll be fine bishop. The few violent crimes that do happen up here are NOT random. If you're not messing with someones girl or involved in the drug trade, I doubt you'll be getting shot or stabbed any time soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast