Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2628 & 2633 Broadway: Ariel West - by Cook + Fox | Ariel East - by Cetra/Ruddy

Default OK, advice...

...I am seriously considering putting a deposit down on a low floor 2 BR in the West building. I went to the sales office and and I have to admit, the place is going to be really nice. And Extell is top-shelf. So, tell me, and I shrewd, off-base or just out of my mind?

I would live there if it were 20-30 blocks more southerly.

Like I said, it's not terrible, but the neighbourhood is still somewhat transitional. It's probably going to be 5-10 years before it starts to really resemble the rest of the UWS.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I think you need to go see for yourself. If you ask for people's opinion, you'll get differing opinions since people tend to see things differently.

Question

Im looking at an apartment on 99th and B'way tomorrow. Can anyone comment on the area? How does it compare to the UES around the 70's, and the UWS around the 60-70's? I dont have time to look at much but the building tomorrow.

You’re going to have to judge the neighborhood yourself. The Upper West Side in general is a nice neighborhood. To me 99th and Broadway is safe and quickly gentrifying, it has a couple rough spots. Right now the Upper West side is nicest up to 96th street and then from 110th to 125th. The stretch from 96th to 110th is for now a little rough but nothing to worry about.

I lived on 106th and 108th, and I didn't even know it was supposed to be rough.

The area still has minorities (non-whites) living around there. But alot of them live in rent control apartments or in some housing projects around the area. So it might look 'a little rough' because there are race and income differences but is not. It is a vey safe area.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    I lived on 106th and 108th, and I didn't even know it was supposed to be rough.
    Its a little rougher than the parts of the Upper West Side that I mentioned upto 96th and from 110th to 125th. Nothing that I would advise against. Walking through the area you can tell by the dominence of bodegas and lack of health food stores that this stretch is a little rougher. Last year there was a number of unsolved murders in the area, but that seems to have resolved itself. All that said this is still a safe area. Just not yet the yuppified UWS.

Dosnt sound to good. I want somewhere near healthfood stores, and gyms. I also want to be near a Jamba Juice.

^ What? You can find all of those things up there. Just walk all along on broadway (from Columbia University all the way down) and you will see them close to the 90's and 100's.

There are long distances for those things in that neighbourhood, though. It can feel very...sparse. It hardly has the convenience of the Village or even the lower UWS. Morningside Heights (roughly 106th-123rd) is kept artificially spiffier.

Thumbs down

Just got back. The neighborhood was...okay. You guys were right, more bodegas than health food. It was a diverse neighborhood, so that was kinda cool. The building on the other hand, was complete shit. I dont plan to look any higher than 75th street anymore. But, atleast I checked it out, right?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Just not yet the yuppified UWS.
    Well, somebody's got to do it sooner or later! NewYorkYankee, you are now the official yuppie pioneer to the UWS. Help pave the road for all the future yuppies.

Don't worry, those buildings will fill fast. The neighbourhood is still 1,000 times better than Hells Kitchen where half the towers discussed on this site are going up.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Well, somebody's got to do it sooner or later! NewYorkYankee, you are now the official yuppie pioneer to the UWS. Help pave the road for all the future yuppies.
    Haha, thanks for the laugh! Maybe when a Whole Foods opens up there, I'll go.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast