Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Transportation from/to New York airports

Quote Originally Posted by ciara View Post
    ...Comfort inn...
    not universally approved: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._New_York.html

She asked for transportation advice, not what you thought of her hotel, Ablarc.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    She asked for transportation advice, not what you thought of her hotel, Ablarc.
    We aim to exceed our mandate.

I've never stayed at this hotel, but it has a few unhappy customers. Such things are good to know.

If you're on a mission to save WNY's readers from bad hotels, start your own list. What about the Carlyle? It gets the same TripAdvisor.com rating as the Comfort Inn LIC, despite the fact that it's a 5-star hotel:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

Are you arguing that the ratings are flawed, Shadenfrau?

Probably not so much flawed as skewed, much like the Zagat ratings. People base their opinions on the level of quality they've seen in the past, myopic as their experiences might be.

In any case, people have a right to stay in hotels outside of Manhattan, whatever their reasoning might be. And, yes, every subway (minus the G) in Long Island City runs directly into midtown Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    I just read all the reviews, 2 negative and 7 positive.. That's not bad at all..

Agreed, those reviews aren't bad enough to keep me from staying there if I was looking.

I think people rate a hotel based upon expectations and actual value for the price paid. If I was paying $150 / night for a hotel in Manhattan and it was clean, well attended, with reasonable amenities, and in a decently nice area I'd rate it very high because of the value you'd receive for that price. Conversely, if I was paying $600 / night I'd expect much more from the hotel and I'd be more critical of it in the reviews.

You seem like a pretty reasonable person, though. I think a lot of people come to NYC for the first time and expect the hotels to be like standardized chains in other areas of the country. Things tend to be a lot smaller and shabbier here, in my experience. You should see the small-town jaws drop upon entering the Chelsea Hotel, and it's not because they're impressed with the history.

I know its a bit off the main drag but I've stayed twice at the Skyline hotel on 10av W45 (I believe that was the address), and it had great rooms.

The Roosevelt, impressive foyer and bar, good atmosphere but rooms small and a bit shabby. OK though.

Hello. I will be visiting NYC for my second time this coming January to visit a friend. I've got everything set up except transportation to/from the airport. Last time I flew into Newark and took SuperShuttle, but my friend is now living in Brooklyn instead of Manhattan. SuperShuttle was OK because it was cheap, but it was a very long ride and somewhat uncomfortable. I'm flying into JFK this time because it's closest to Brooklyn. I'm thinking about getting a cab from the airport to my friend's apartment, but I'm not sure about the way back. I read somewhere that cabs are somewhat scarce in Brooklyn and they charge you extra to come pick you up when you call them. Is this true? If so, I was thinking about taking a car service back to the airport. Could anyone recommend me a good car service in Brooklyn that's relatively cheap? Thanks guys.

That isn't true. Cabs aren't scarce in NYC (brooklyn). Cabs are available at any time during the day. And you do not get charged more when you call the base.

Alright. My next question then is are car services or cabs cheaper for my particular trip? Also, will it take longer for a cab to show up or a car service to show up in Brooklyn? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by corey View Post
    Alright. My next question then is are car services or cabs cheaper for my particular trip? Also, will it take longer for a cab to show up or a car service to show up in Brooklyn? Thanks.
    Car services are often of every corner in Brooklyn. New York is a special city. We have 2 types of taxis here. You can hail the Yellow Taxi on the street - mostly in Manhattan. There are also car and lomousine services that are not allowed by law to pick up people on the street - you need to call them to get one. If you open Brooklyn Yellow pages or look at Yahoo Yellow Pages and search for Car Service or Taxi service, you will see dozens of those. They will give you a better rate to JFK than yellow cab. Reserve in advance (1-2 days) and you'll be fine.

You can ask people in the area for recommendations, since not all of those services are truly reliable.

Where in Brooklyn are you visiting?... Do you have an adress?..

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast