Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Transportation from/to New York airports

Quote Originally Posted by karen_england View Post
    Hello all

I'm coming to NYC in Feb and wondered what the best way is to get from Newark Airport to Park Lane, Manhattan? I've heard that the cabs from Newark aren't a flat rate so it's easy to get ripped off. Would I be wiser to book one of those shuttle buses?

thanks
    Hi Karen

I've just returned from NYC and like you we used Newark airport. I would recommend the Olympia express bus from the airport and that will take you straight to 41st st (midtown, near Grand Central Terminal). Cost $14 pp each away, $24 return. Take about 40 mins and we've found it less hassle.

I'm not sure where Park Lane is but when you get to the final drop off point, it might be either straight down the subway or a quick cab ride.

Dont bother with the cab from airport.

Good luck and enjoy your trip

Andy

Park Lane is on Central Park South (59th Street) between 5th and 6th Avenues --a short cab ride from where the bus will let you off. About a mile and a quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by andy8888 View Post
    Hi Karen

I've just returned from NYC and like you we used Newark airport. I would recommend the Olympia express bus from the airport and that will take you straight to 41st st (midtown, near Grand Central Terminal). Cost $14 pp each away, $24 return. Take about 40 mins and we've found it less hassle.

I'm not sure where Park Lane is but when you get to the final drop off point, it might be either straight down the subway or a quick cab ride.

Dont bother with the cab from airport.

Good luck and enjoy your trip

Andy
    Hi Andy - is the Olympia express bus easy to find at the airport? And do you have to book in advance or just hop on? Oh, and are they regular?

Thanks

Karen

Are you traveling by yourself?.. If not, you should consider the fact that buses and shuttles charge per person, taxis charge per taxi and the price is good up to 4 people...

And if you are traveling by yourself, the way to go is Olympia Bus to Port Authority and a yellow taxi to Helmsley Park Lane.. I would definitely stay away from Shuttles directly to the Hotel...The shuttles have many pick-ups and drop-offs; they are time consuming and not worth the money... The cost of the Olympia bus + the taxi ride to hotel is about the same as the shuttle to the hotel but it is much less time consuming..
    Last edited by milleniumcab; November 30th, 2007 at 10:21 PM.

For those who take stewart airport in Newburgh, NY via skybus or whatever flight agency you use you will need to take the bus or a taxi across the hudson into Beacon train station. From Beacon you can take the MTA North train into grand central. The following link is information regarding the fares: http://as0.mta.info/mnr/fares/get_fares.cfm

This link can give you schedules going to/from Beacon or any Metro North railroad station for that matter:
    http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

I'm coming to LaGuardia in April. I figured from reading this it'll cost about 35 bucks including tolls and tip to get from LaGuardia to Holiday Inn 57th street. I was quoted from Lincoln Limo that they'd charge 55 total for the transfer. I was just wondering if the Lincoln would be worth the extra 20 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by ThuRsDaY View Post
    I'm coming to LaGuardia in April. I figured from reading this it'll cost about 35 bucks including tolls and tip to get from LaGuardia to Holiday Inn 57th street. I was quoted from Lincoln Limo that they'd charge 55 total for the transfer. I was just wondering if the Lincoln would be worth the extra 20 bucks?
    What time of the day r u coming?... Middle of the day, there is nothing wrong with taking the 59th Street Bridge which saves you the toll ($4). Meter should run $25 - $28.. Hey , if you think it is worth taking a town car for $55( which probably does not include the toll), more power to you... Personally, I would be happy with a cab...

I still have no idea how they are going to get the 29 people in my tour group from LaGuardia Airport to our first stop somewhere in Manhattan. That'd be hilarious if they piled us all in taxi cabs.

...Probably a tour bus though...

Might be. Not sure... When I visited Europe in 2005 (first stop was Madrid, Spain), we didn't go straight to the hotel and instead went straight to our sight seeing.

I'll have to look at the itinerary later tonight.
    Ben

Wink Nope...

Nope. I'm looking at the itinerary for the trip right now, and it seems that the day we land in LaGaurdia, we start a tour right away. That afternoon we tour Upper Manhattan, Lincoln Center, Central Park, and Harlem.

Soo...basically, on the first day I'm there I'll be looking in the areas I've done the most research on ... living/moving to wise (Harlem/Upper Manhattan). I'll have to pay attention!!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Edward;71546

LaGuardia airport - the view from the new observation deck in Rockefeller Center. 29 October 2005.

[URL="http://www.wirednewyork.com/guide/airports/"
    [/URL]
    Nice photo..one of my dream is to visit new york How i wish that my dream will come true..

http://www.theparentshandbook.com

Question Comfort Inn Manhattan West 42nd Street/New York Pass

Ola,
    Before visiting Miami , we (party of 5) will be heading for NY Thursday 20th March , landing on JFK@ noon.
    I read in former threads that it's best to head to the Comfort Inn Manhattan by mini van. Please advise if this isn't the wisest way. Furthermore, any reviews on the Comfort Inn Manhattan?
    As we'll be staying 5 days, we got the advise to buy the New York Pass for 2 days to visit all the 'hot spots'. Did anyone else experienced this already?
    Thanks!

Mini Van, Shuttle shared ride is only cheaper if you are travelling alone because they charge per person.

Taxi would be quicker for you.

Unless you can find a large taxi to take 5, you could take 2 taxis and split the total fare equally by five.

Any advice, Milleniumcab?

Brianac is on the money...When you get to the Yellow Taxi Stand at JFK, simply request a 5 passenger minivan. The uniformed dispatcher will get one for you. I volunteer for 5 people often. The only time you might have a problem with a single 5 passenger minivan is if you have very excessive luggage. Seats won't come down with 5 passengers.. The worst thing is you might have to take 2 cabs and that's not so bad.The shuttles to your hotel will charge very similar to the fare for 2 taxis..

Enjoy your trip....