Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Transportation from/to New York airports

Quote Originally Posted by bksmith
    Does anyone have suggestions for reasonable and safe alternatives? I appreciate your thoughts.
    If there is no bus service between the 2 airports at that time, the only reasonable and safe alternative would be a yellow cab. It will cost about $25.

Hello all. First posting on here.

I am coming into JFK Sunday 9th July from the uk for a 5 night stay. On average, how long does it take to clear immigration and reach Manhattan by taxi? There is a rather important soccer game later that day you understand.

Thanks for any replies.

Count on two hours ...

Quote Originally Posted by windgather

I am coming into JFK Sunday 9th July from the uk for a 5 night stay. On average, how long does it take to clear immigration and reach Manhattan by taxi? There is a rather important soccer game later that day you understand.

Thanks for any replies.
    For planning purposes, allow at least 3 hours. The major variable is Customs, and the time spent there depends on which airline and terminal are involved, passenger congestion, and the whims of the inspectors. With luck, the actual time could be 2-2.5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by windgather

Thanks for any replies.
    Hi mate. (first post also so hi everyone)
    I flew into JFK last thurs on my first visit to both the US and NY and had been using this site the past few weeks for some info.
    We were in a queue for about 80mins at customs before picking our bags and making our way out and it only seemed to be our flight that was in at that time...

How much would a taxi cost from LGA to Times Square? How much is the toll on Brooklyn Bridge? Is it cheaper to use another bridge (if I request the taxi driver to do so)?

You won't be going anywhere near the Brooklyn Bridge if you're going from Laguardia to Times Square. The trip will cost you about $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    You won't be going anywhere near the Brooklyn Bridge if you're going from Laguardia to Times Square. The trip will cost you about $25.
    Just $25? Excellent. I had factored in $35-45 for airport journeys. Coming from UK, I'm relatively unphased by taxi and transportation prices within even NYC.

For that trip, $25 is more or less correct in a yellow taxi. I would say between $25 and $30 and that would not include any tolls or the tip. The toll you must pay and the tip is customary but optional..

For your protection, take only a yellow cab and have a safe journey..

Question Best Way to get from JFK to Secaucus/Meadowlands

Hi,

I plan a new york trip end oktober - begin november and will arive in JFK (best connecton from belgium and cheapest) and intend to have my hotel in Secaucus/meadowlands (across the river) : because of the lower rates. The hotel (Hamilton) is nicely situated in a shopping area (2 cinemas, lots of shops, diners ....).

What's the best way to get from jfk to secaucus ?
    1) taxi ? but I read somewhere that no jfk taxi will bring me to secaucus ???
    2) airport express but to .port authority (15$, max. 1,5 hours) - direct and then transfer but in front of hotel (from port authority) : 2,5 $ and 20 minutes
    3) ????

many thanks,

Frank

cheap option: bus from to Port Authority and then bus from PA to Secaucus

fast option: non-yellow/unofficial taxi from tout (you will have to negotiate a fare -- probably $75 or more)

Quote Originally Posted by intfvdh View Post
    and intend to have my hotel in Secaucus/meadowlands (across the river) : because of the lower rates.
    Do not stay in Secaucus - You may save money but you will not enjoy your visit to NYC if you stay there.

Although it might not be the optimal way to visit NYC, if you're merely sleeping in Secaucus and traveling back and forth to NYC (a short bus ride -- but check the schedules carefully so you don't end up waiting at a bus stop) then it shouldn't be a problem -- especially if you're saving lots of money on lodging.

Do be aware that while your hotel might be "nicely situated" and in the vicinity of diners, cinemas, etc.: the distances there can be deceptive when looking at a map -- and a walk to those locales from your hotel might be longer than you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by intfvdh View Post

I plan a new york trip end oktober - begin november ... The hotel (Hamilton) is nicely situated
    Is it the "Hamilton" in Secaucus -- or the HAMPTON ???

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Is it the "Hamilton" in Secaucus -- or the HAMPTON ???
    It's the hamton Inn (http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/h...tyhocn=SCMNJHX), according to a map I found on the internet it should be in the middle of a shopping-leisure complex (http://www.harmonmeadow.com/pdf/HMMapCloseUp_BW.LR.pdf)

Do you know this area/hotel ?

Frank

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast