Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Transportation from/to New York airports

Quote Originally Posted by asg View Post
    Do not stay in Secaucus - You may save money but you will not enjoy your visit to NYC if you stay there.
    I found one affordable alternative (Queen bed, smaller room, no fridge, microware, comfort inn, Long Island City, http://www.bookings.nl/hotel/us/comf...out=2006-11-04). 125 dollar/night for 8 nights (excluding taxes). Do you know this hotel or alternatives in the city.

Frank (single traveller)

ps : the link I added points to the website of a bookings.nl, the queen bed (2 persons) is not available anymore but I was able to reserve it a few days ago.

Comfort Inn is a nationl chain of decent, generally clean, but not fancy, motels. The fact that it is a chain means that there will be some minimal hygiene standards not necessarily found in your independent operator. It will be a little more downscale than your Hmapton Inn, but not much. As for Long Island City, the commute to Manhattan will be MUCH faster and more convenient than the bus from Secaucus, but the neighborhood is a little dicy, or at least used to be. Gentrification may have hit it now, but that used to be where the mob dumped its bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    As for Long Island City... the neighborhood is a little dicy, or at least used to be. Gentrification may have hit it now, but that used to be where the mob dumped its bodies.
    Also it helps to like graffiti in Long Island City. I mean really like graffiti.

Whoever told you that a JFK Yellow Taxi will not take you to Secaucus, NJ is misinformed. They will take you to any destination, the only difference is that some out of the city destinations, like Secaucus, will not be on the meter. The fare will have to be agreed upon between you and the driver and the drivers have a flat rate book that will guide them to give you the proper rate..It is open to negotiation.

For your protection, I urge you to be carefull and not get hussled into a towncar that will most likely rip you off and provide a service that is not fully insured incase of any accident...Go to Yellow Taxi Stand and ask for a Yellow Taxi..

I also agree to some others who advised you to not stay in NJ if you are coming to enjoy New York City. You can search for a hotel in Queens which is much closer to the city. They are more reasonable in price..

I hope you enjoy your trip and stay..

The Comfort Inn in LIC Queens is on Greenpoint Avenue, very close to the LIE. It is an OK area with no major concerns..It has easy access to the city, close to subway and taxi routes.. I would go for it..

Smile

[quote=milleniumcab;118180]Whoever told you that a JFK Yellow Taxi will not take you to Secaucus, NJ is misinformed. They will take you to any destination, the only difference is that some out of the city destinations, like Secaucus, will not be on the meter.

I got this from a forum on Tripadvisor. thanks for the feedback.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    I also agree to some others who advised you to not stay in NJ if you are coming to enjoy New York City. You can search for a hotel in Queens which is much closer to the city. They are more reasonable in price..

I hope you enjoy your trip and stay..
    Why would it give me more enjoyment to stay in NCY in Queens ?
    - time distance ?
    - security ?
    - nyc feeling ?

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by intfvdh View Post
    Why would it give me more enjoyment to stay in NCY in Queens ?
    - time distance ?
    - security ?
    - nyc feeling ?

Frank
    All of the above....

I got this from a forum on Tripadvisor. thanks for the feedback.

Be careful where you get your info...Not all forums are like WNY...

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    Whoever told you that a JFK Yellow Taxi will not take you to Secaucus, NJ is misinformed. They will take you to any destination, the only difference is that some out of the city destinations, like Secaucus, will not be on the meter. The fare will have to be agreed upon between you and the driver and the drivers have a flat rate book that will guide them to give you the proper rate..It is open to negotiation.
    That's not exactly correct. For NJ destinations, the Yellow Cab has the right to say "no" -- and that, after you've waited 1/2 hour in the taxi queue.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    That's not exactly correct. For NJ destinations, the Yellow Cab has the right to say "no" -- and that, after you've waited 1/2 hour in the taxi queue.
    You are right BPC... Destinations in NJ, other than Newark Airport, can be refused by the driver.. This allows the driver to end his/her shift in a timely manner...That would be only reason a driver might say "no"...But even if one does, there is another lined up behind him...
    Last edited by milleniumcab; September 6th, 2006 at 09:14 AM.

They are always making runs between Jersey City, Hoboken, and Weehawken. I can't tell you how many I see zipping through Jersey City on a daily basis milling around with our own taxis and just in Downtown I mean the city as a whole; The Heights, JSQ, Lafayette, West Bergen, Marion, etc..

Also it is much easier to stay in NJ and when I say that I mean Jersey City and also Hoboken. We have 4 hotels currently; The Hyatt, The Courtyard Marriot, The Candlewood Inn, The Double Tree Suites. We have one under construction: The Westin at Newport and we have one soon to be constructed in Liberty Harbor North in Historic Downtown Jersey City which will most likely be a Hilton that will rise 22 stories. Futhermore there are rumors of a boutique hotel being planned for our Powerhouse Art District. So in just a few years we will have 6, possibly 7, in Downtown JC alone. Also W Hotel-Hoboken is being constructed with in walking distance to the Hoboken Terminal. With the PATH, light-rail, and ferry service to the city, it is much easier and possibly cheaper to stay in Jersey City or Hoboken. Sorry had to make our side heard, I believe in equal opportunity. Just good fun guys.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; September 6th, 2006 at 10:16 AM.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Sorry had to make our side heard, I believe in equal opportunity. Just good fun guys.
    Of course you were.

Personally, I've tried this method of staying in a hotel adjacent to a city a few times, and I've always ended up preferring a hotel in the city center. Especially in a place like Manhattan, it's invaluable to be able to step out of your hotel and walk to most, if not all, of your sightseeing destinations. Unless, of course, you don't want to be bankrupt by the time you go back home.

Smile

For the moment I still prefer to stay in Secaucus in the Hamilton because
    plus :
    - in the middle of a shopping complex (lots of diners and 2 cinemas with 10+ screens in total)
    - bus runs every 10 minutes to port authority (17 minutes)
    - bigger room, fridge, microware
    min :
    - bus runs 40 minutes (I try to avoid them, I don't intented to be on my way before 9 am and will go back long after 6 pm)
    - need to take the express bus to port authority from jfk (1,30 min) and then to hotel (17 minutes)
    - not in nyc

Frank

For the moment I still prefer to stay in Secaucus in the Hamilton because
    plus :
    - in the middle of a shopping complex (lots of diners and 2 cinemas with 10+ screens in total)
    - bus runs every 10 minutes to port authority (17 minutes)
    - bigger room, fridge, microware
    min :
    - bus runs 40 minutes (I try to avoid them, I don't intented to be on my way before 9 am and will go back long after 6 pm)
    - need to take the express bus to port authority from jfk (1,30 min) and then to hotel (17 minutes)
    - not in nyc

Frank
    Hey Frank, are you coming here to have Diner Food, see a newly released movie in a cinema and shop in a shopping mall , or are you coming here to see a Broadway Show, have your pick from many different cuisines of the world and shop NY style in So Ho, Herald Square, Canal Street, etc?.. ...

But in the end, how much you enjoy your trip is all up to you...
    Last edited by milleniumcab; September 6th, 2006 at 10:39 PM.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast