Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Transportation from/to New York airports

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    Hey Frank, are you coming here to have Diner Food, see a newly released movie in a cinema and shop in a shopping mall , or are you coming here to see a Broadway Show, have your pick from many different cuisines of the world and shop NY style in So Ho, Herald Square, Canal Street, etc?.. ...

But in the end, how much you enjoy your trip is all up to you...
    Well both. But New York is my main focus. The problem is the cost of the hotels. I've been looking around a lot and found the Hamilton in Secaucus a good choice. An alternative might be Comfort Inn, Long Island City. I'm a solo traveller and don't want to spend more than 150 dollars on accomodation a night (tax included). And that's already a lot of money. Though I'm interested in find something in New York (Manhatten). Any ideas ?

Frank

FOr $150 a night (including tax), you should be able to find a decent room in Manhattan and take the subways wherever you need to go. Try www.expedia.com and www.travelocity.com. Both will let you search by price, location and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by intfvdh View Post
    Well both. But New York is my main focus. The problem is the cost of the hotels. I've been looking around a lot and found the Hamilton in Secaucus a good choice. An alternative might be Comfort Inn, Long Island City. I'm a solo traveller and don't want to spend more than 150 dollars on accomodation a night (tax included). And that's already a lot of money. Though I'm interested in find something in New York (Manhatten). Any ideas ?

Frank
    I agree with BPC, 150 a night should be enough to get a good hotel room in Manhattan. The savings can be great if you are willing to share your room, HOSTELS are very cheap at 30-40 dollars a night..

I have also noticed a few hotels in Lower East Side.. One is on Rivington, looks like a decent place..Try googling "Rivington Hotel" , and see what pops up..

Wow , I just googled it, never mind.. Apperantly it is a new building and quite expensive...

I also agree with BPC and MC. In addition to earlier suggestions, if you've not already looked it over, visit WNY's "Hotels" section (http://www.wirednewyork.com/hotels/) for a pretty extensive list of places and some links. Also, although few visitors can take advantage of them, there are good and affordable rooms available at a handful of university clubs in Manhattan (these are mainly the Ivies -- for example, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and perhaps Columbia) that alumni members can book for their out-of-town guests.

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight View Post
    I there are good and affordable rooms available at a handful of university clubs in Manhattan (these are mainly the Ivies -- for example, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and perhaps Columbia) that alumni members can book for their out-of-town guests.
    But have to be an alumni of that university ? No ?

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by intfvdh View Post
    But have to be an alumni of that university ? No ?

Frank
    Yes, or a guest or family member of one or, sometimes, a member of an affiliated out-of-town club. Sadly, since I posted about the clubs, I took a fresh look at some of their room rates and see that they've now crept north of your price target. For example, The Yale Club (look under "Guestrooms") and The Harvard Club ("Facilities/Overnight Rooms"). Still, for those who can arrange it, staying at one of these definitely beats checking into a chain hotel in a Jersey swamp . . .

There are some university clubs that lack their own clubhouses but have arrangements with other clubs, not all of which are university-related. For example, The Smith Club/Chemists Club (and this one still has cheap rates).
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; September 8th, 2006 at 12:22 PM.

Thumbs up new york for the first time

hi there myself and my partner are flying to new york for the first time in early november from ireland.we are flying into newark airport.we ar staying on tonelle avenue north bergen new jersey.i supose a yellow cab is the answer from getting from newark airport to our destination.any idea roughly on how much a yellow cab would be from the airport to our destination.

any info would be greatful

thanks a million willie

Default is taxi the only way

was just wondering is a taxi the only way or have you a choice from a bus or rail to tonnelle avenue north bergen??

thanks willie.

You can take the train from Newark Airport to Hoboken (changing trains in Secaucus), then take the light rail in Hoboken to the North Bergen station at Tonnelle Avenue. It will take longer than a cab, be a hassle with luggage, but it will be cheaper.

https://www.njtransit.com/

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    $50-60.
    Are you sure?
    'Cause it sounds a bit high.

I would love to help but I have no idea.. I am a NYC cabbie..

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Are you sure?
    'Cause it sounds a bit high.
    It's only a guestimate, a triangulation based on fares for cab rides I have taken from Newark to Downtown Manhattan, from Newark to Hoboken, and from Hoboken to Bergen County. Still, I don't think it's too high.

Default hostels

if you are going to hostel it try STA travel...they are cheap (its primarily a student agency but anyone can use them)

statravel.com, co.uk etc............... depending on where you live

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast