Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Where to buy contemporary furniture (not very expensive)

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    796

    Default Where to buy contemporary furniture (not very expensive)

    Hi!

    I am moving into a relatively small 1-bedroom apartment (700 sq feet) and my old large Brooklyn furniture just won't fit. Can someone recommend good stores in the city that sell quality contemporary furniture in the city that are not very expensive?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    IKEA in NJ will deliver to NYC for ~100.00.

    Prices are low, but you have to put things together (ther goes the weekend!).

    Advisable NOT to shop at IKEA on weekends ... there is a bus from Port Authority that gets you there in less than 30 minutes -- you can shop for a couple of hours, make your purchases, arrange for delivery and take the bus back. Best time to go is in the morning.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice
    Hi!

    Can someone recommend good stores in the city that sell quality contemporary furniture in the city that are not very expensive?

    Thanks!
    Surprisingly good contemporary furniture at moderate to low prices:

    http://crateandbarrel.com

    http://roomandboard.com

    Both have branches near Houston and Broadway, just above the far more expensive SOHO furniture stores.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    IKEA in NJ will deliver to NYC for ~100.00.
    You can rent a van/truck from Uhaul or Budget for $20-$40/day. If it's really heavy stuff, you can rent a handtruck for $5, and maybe buy a pair of workgloves for $5 from home depot.

    If you rent your own van/truck, you can go to Ikea, Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Wal-mart, Staples, Sleepys, etc, and bring everything back with you.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    796

    Default

    IKEA is too cheap-looking. I would rather pay a little bit more and get something better. Both http://roomandboard.com and http://www.doorstorefurniture.com/ look very interesting!

    I will check out both stores.

    Are there any other stores like this in the NY area (I drive so I can go to NJ if necessary).

  7. #7
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    There's a room & board in soho.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice
    IKEA is too cheap-looking. I would rather pay a little bit more and get something better. Both http://roomandboard.com and http://www.doorstorefurniture.com/ look very interesting!

    I will check out both stores.

    Are there any other stores like this in the NY area (I drive so I can go to NJ if necessary).
    check out the futon stores on stienway st in astoria, they all have nice comtemp. beds. and will work a deal with a mattress

  9. #9

    Default Maybe on www.Furniture3000.com ?

    Some time bifore I sow best prices on www.furniture3000.com , but now it dosn't working

  10. #10
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    Check out West Elm- there's the website and the store in Chelsea. They have some very well-designed and stylish furniture for reasonable prices. The aesthetic is similar to Crate and Barrel.

  11. #11

    Default

    Jensen-Lewis has a pretty nice selection. I loved their Calligaris Dining Tables. They were great quality for not an exorbitant amount of money. The Della Robbia line was nice too but it was a little out of my price range.

    http://www.jensen-lewis.com/

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    796

    Default

    There are lots of Furniture stores on McDonald avenue in Brooklyn as well as on Avenue U and on Avenue X where you can order modern furniture from catalogues and they also have samples on the floor. You can bargain there and get much better prices than in those Manhattan stores.

    I ended up ordering my furniture from Cozy Furniture on Avenue X in Brooklyn - they gave me a good price that included delivery and assembly. They should deliver it to me in a few days so I can report whether everything was good.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice
    There are lots of Furniture stores on McDonald avenue in Brooklyn as well as on Avenue U and on Avenue X where you can order modern furniture from catalogues and they also have samples on the floor. You can bargain there and get much better prices than in those Manhattan stores.

    I ended up ordering my furniture from Cozy Furniture on Avenue X in Brooklyn - they gave me a good price that included delivery and assembly. They should deliver it to me in a few days so I can report whether everything was good.
    By the way, they did deliver and everything was surprisingly great.

  14. #14

    Default Eithan Perry

    you can try bahakoca.com for really cool contemporary in gr8 prices...

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight View Post
    Surprisingly good contemporary furniture at moderate to low prices:

    http://crateandbarrel.com

    http://roomandboard.com
    I love Crate&Barrel and highly reccomend it. My mom and I stopped in the Madison Ave. store (650 Madison Ave.) while we were there and I loved just about everything in the store.

    It's where I will be shopping when I make the move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Street Furniture
    By Kris in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: February 7th, 2014, 02:22 PM
  2. Forbes Most Expensive Zip Codes
    By chinman in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: October 1st, 2010, 08:05 AM
  3. New Museum of Contemporary Art - 235 Bowery - by SANAA
    By Kris in forum New York Skyscrapers and Architecture
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: March 28th, 2010, 09:00 PM
  4. America's 5 Most and Least Expensive Cities
    By GoogleJC in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 8th, 2004, 02:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software