Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 555 West 34th St - The Girasole - Proposed 1,000'+ Tower - by FX Fowle

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    Uh...not thanks Moinian, why dont you go build it in Oklahoma city where someone may actually want this mostrocity poking out of their skyline. Crawl back to the hole you came from and take this garbAge design with you.
    I agree. Too cheap to hire a starchitect and clearly not giving the budget to take the torque further. At this height and location it just needs to be better.

That said, I cannot wait for all these supertall towers to come into fruition. The size of this proposal is very exciting.

What size queens you all are. Trepye, I agree wholeheartedly...I think this tower is a bore and hardly worth any excitement. BORING. It's sort of tall, so what.
    And when something is 1000 feet tall I don't think "It's not the best looking building ever, but it looks good enough" is very heartening. Shouldn't we be striving toward higher praise than that?
    New York is stuck on flat tops (albeit with stupid little gimmicks tacked on)
    and this is no different, when will we get something that actually pierces the sky...all that height and it doesn't know what to do with it. What's with all these stupid hollow spaces on top of all the new buildings??????? It's getting REALLY played out. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE US A REAL CROWN and stop trying to reinvent the wheel?

Default well, they'd need more air rights

at 1.5 million square feet, I think it might start to be nonviable if it were much taller and this is an office tower. To get really majestic buildings, you'd need to do what I said about building Javits on the railyard and transferring air rights to adjacent sites.

its ok, not great, ill take it though. The fact something this big is proposed is exciting and if the tower across the street is built it will be a decent corner. I worry about the way the facade looks, and the ridiculous name.

Also yeah its a box with notches and it at slightly torques but c'mon not everything has to be over designed. Simplicity anyone?

I love simplicity, but let's not confuse 'simplicity' with 'uninspired'. If simplicity was what they were going for here, then they failed miserably at that too! It's neither here nor there, which is never a good thing.
    We don't want overdesigned...we want competently designed.

The base is pretty generic.

Ok I am a little confuse. This Sherwood Equities tower (the rendering I posted on top of page 3) seems to be on the South side of 34th street, but looking at this map of where it will be located, is actually on the North side of 34th street...

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=14441

So in that case seems that the Girasol would be built right on the west side between the Sherwood tower and Eleventh Street.
    Last edited by krulltime; October 31st, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    The GiraSole

UMMMM... but its not a box. people here seem to be spatially challenged. analyze the shape and rotate it 45° away from the notch, it tapers into a very nice SWFC-ish shape when viewed from the southwest orientation. how much more shape do you need for NYC?? good thing you guys aren't architects.

... and its going for a LEED PLATINUM rating.... for a 1.5M sqft 1000'+ mixed use. do you people realize what kind of an undertaking that is?
    Last edited by JacobNYC; October 31st, 2007 at 11:18 PM.

^ Agreed. I am already feeling this tower, but I'd still like to see bigger/more detailed renderings and the base and lobby when they are ready; I haven't seen this shape and these cuts before in any other tower. In a way, it makes me think of Maki's highly underrated 4WTC more than Libeskind's Freedom Tower, which would have been an amazing tower for any place in NYC - except for the new WTC. To add, the Sherwood Tower looks like the love child of 2WTC and 3WTC, and the larger tower for MSG looks exactly like David Child's Freedom Tower.

Last edited by Ebola; October 31st, 2007 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    That said, I cannot wait for all these supertall towers to come into fruition. The size of this proposal is very exciting.
    Dude if they are all gonna be this bad then there aint much to look forward to, even if they are 2000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime View Post
    So in that case seems that the Girasol would be built right on the west side between the Sherwood tower and Eleventh Street.
    From the information that we have now, yes, that would be the case... a sort of far westside Twin Towers that aren't really twins.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    Also yeah its a box with notches and it at slightly torques but c'mon not everything has to be over designed. Simplicity anyone?
    Over designed is the RARE exception rather than the rule nowadays. Besides, simplicity in this city is not practiced due to its "artistic" attributes but rather its handsome economical practicality.

Isnt the FT, TWC, Bloomy tower, TWT, 4WTC, 7WT, Orion, The Link, 7 TSQ, and so on and so forth enough simplicity for you??? Pretty soon this city is gonna be diluted with all of this "simplicity" and its gonna be like tap water-with no flavor whatsoever so enjoy whats left of it folks.

There is simple then basically nothing like some of the towers described, which can still work sometimes. This only has notches and a torque simple but make it quite unique.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    From the information that we have now, yes, that would be the case... a sort of far westside Twin Towers that aren't really twins.
    And Extell's tower on the Copocabana site is across the street from this one on the southeast corner of 34th and 11th!

Girasole = "sunflower" in Italian (literally something akin to "turning [girare] always to the sun [sole]")

Girasole is also a province in Sardinia

Girasole also a type of opal

From Girandole:
    1. A composition or structure in radiating form or arrangement, such as a rotating display of fireworks.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast