Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Eve on Times Square

Default New Year's Eve on Times Square

Hello everyone,

I will be visiting NYC this December and I was wondering what New Year's Eve on Times Square is like.
    Is it worth the wait? How is the atmosphere (casual and cosy or cramped and pushy)?
    Is there any security? Are you allowed to bring food or bottles?
    What's the best way to get to and from Times Square on New Year's Eve?
    What time should you get there to be able to see anything and how long does it take to get back out of the crowd?
    Once in the crowd, are you able to visit a restroom and come back to your spot?

Any information you might have is welcome. Thank you.

Karin

Forum Veteran

Get there early, don't have a full bladder because they don't let you back in once you go out.

Going to Times Square is a crap shoot. The one time I went (in 1996) it was 16 degrees. Everyone was frozen solid. On the bright side, the crowd was _relatively_ smaller than now. You should get there at least 5 hours in advance, and maybe a full 8 hours if you want a prime space near the stage. The atmosphere probably depends on which part of the crowd you are in - those who got there early and are really psyched vs. those who got there a _mere_ 3-4 hours in advance and don't have a view of anything but the ball. As far as I am concerned, you are better off going to a party somewhere and watching the whole thing on TV.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonyO
    Get there early, don't have a full bladder because they don't let you back in once you go out.
    What do people do if they have to go to the bathroom?
    Empty bottle?

Depends.

I wouldn't go anywhere near the place. If you have even the slightest issues with claustrophobia, stay clear of Times Square on New Years Eve.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    What do people do if they have to go to the bathroom?
    Empty bottle?
    Let's just say that open-toed shoes are not advisable

This will be my first year in NY for New Years, I dont plan to go to this event. I cant really stand Times Square much anymore on a 'normal' day, much less that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    Depends.

I did it one year and found it thrilling. The crowd was considerate and well-behaved, though the roar of the crowd spooked the policemen's horses.

Do it once.

I agree. Everyone should go...once.

Hello everyone,

I have another question about NYE so I though i would resurrect this old thread rather than start a new one

I had intended on going to Times Square for the ball drop but after reading some of the comments on here am thinking better of it as I really don't want to waste a day standing around in the freezing cold!!!!

So anyways, my question is what are the best places to view the fireworks on new years eve?? I have read about a guided walk across Brooklyn Bridge which takes in the displays and empire state building light show... have any of the members here tried this? is it any good?

also this may seem like a stupid question, but what are the chances of getting a cab on New Years Eve in downtown?

thanks!

About the cabs: Depends what time and where downtown, but invariably later on NY Eve in and around SoHo you can find people on every corner, all trying to get a cab with few if any stopping -- and the ladies not looking too happy in their heels thinking about having to walk instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    About the cabs: Depends what time and where downtown, but invariably later on NY Eve in and around SoHo you can find people on every corner, all trying to get a cab with few if any stopping -- and the ladies not looking too happy in their heels thinking about having to walk instead.
    "with few if any stopping"

this is what worries me!! It probably won't be too late... around 1ish?

ETA: Don't suppose the buses will run that late on NYE???

Default Tennis Shoes

Ahhhh the young and foolish....or Ahhhhh the more mature and foolish.... I cannot imagine standing anywhere in a pair of highheels on a freezing evening, while my bow stands there in an overcoat and slacks wearing street shoes....hailing a cab....what is wrong with this picture....Of course if he were wearing high heels and she was wearing slacks, it might make it more even steven

Good Morning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast