Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 United Nations Plaza - at East 46th Street - by Harrison & Abramovitz

Also, that f.king water tower is absurd. Can't they put a crown on that POS? Khandahar-on-Hudson strikes again. What a crap city.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Sorta looks like 10 Barclay in a gold lamé dress.
    It does look a lot like 10 Barclay. I don't like this building, although the gold facade has a nice contrast with the other towers in the picture.

This really is pathetic.

If this is built, then NY truly is the architectural limbo champion because it would be very hard to get much lower than this.

Reminds me of the Oro, in Downtown Brooklyn.

how on earth can people make a determination of quality from the above rendering?

Because it's basically a box.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I don't think that's Foster's design.

It's got that local, cheap, lower-tier New York hackitect look to it that SLCE, Kaufman, Kondylis, O'Hara, etc. frequently use.

That "hat" at the top gives it away.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    I don't think that's Foster's design....
    Also, why would any Taliban Mullah/"developer" pay Foster's fee for Kaufman quality?

The 70's called, they want this tower back!

Curbed.

Also, who switches from large windows on lower floors to small ones on what looks to be a lot line? That makes no sense at all.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Trump gold!

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    Also, who switches from large windows on lower floors to small ones on what looks to be a lot line? That makes no sense at all.
    The operable windows on the lower floors seem very large. I don't think it's feasible to have that kind of window so high up. If I were a buyer in the area, I'd take my money over to the Corinthian.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

The problem with Corinthian is it's so far from anything.

Condo of the Nations

Foster + Partners bringing global luxury to the UN's front door.

by Alan G. Brake

Courtesy Foster + Partners

In the latest sign that high-end real estate development is resuming in New York, Zeckendorf Development with Global Holdings is breaking ground on a new 44-story luxury condominium tower designed by Foster + Partners. The 87-unit building will be located across the street from the United Nations Secretariat building and will offer views of the East River and the Chrysler Building.

Perhaps in deference to the purity of the Secretariat building, Foster’s design for the tower, which will be called 50 United Nations Plaza, is fairly buttoned up. “The slender proportion of 50 United Nations Plaza is attenuated by the vertical stacks of the bay windows,” Norman Foster said in a statement. “The polished stainless-steel detailing of the facade is in the spirit of earlier historic towers in the city, and reflects the sharp quality of light which is special to New York.”

Though it overlooks an institution dedicated to promoting global equality and human rights, 50 United Nations Plaza is clearly intended for the so-called 1 percent. The building will include a 10,000-square-foot, two-floor penthouse unit with a rooftop infinity pool. Smaller units will range from 1,100 to 6,000 square feet, with ceiling heights ranging from 10 to 16 feet. Additional amenities include a private motor court and reserved resident parking. The project will also include 5,000 square feet of retail space along First Avenue.

The Zeckendorf family has historic ties to the neighborhood and its most famous institution. “The neighborhood is of great personal significance to my brother Arthur and me, as our maternal grandfather Trygve Lie was the first UN Secretary General, and our paternal grandfather assembled the land upon which the UN Secretariat building now stands,” said William Zeckendorf in a statement.

Site of Foster's new building near the United Nations. Courtesy Google Maps

As an offering to the neighborhood, the developers are giving $100,000 to the Friends of Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, a non-profit that supports maintenance and programming of that public space. The money will be earmarked to hire a landscape architect to tie the development’s grounds to Dag Hammarskjold Plaza.

While hurricane-related flooding has forced the evacuation of many riverside buildings, top-tier residential development appears, thus far, unfazed. Perhaps that is the trick to New York’s continued growth and success: selective blindness and boundless bank accounts.

http://www.archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6353

Presenting the Next 15 CPW: Zeckendorfs Unveil 50 UN Plaza, Norman Foster’s First U.S. Apartment Building

Last edited by Merry; November 15th, 2012 at 06:50 AM.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast