Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 United Nations Plaza - at East 46th Street - by Harrison & Abramovitz

Default 50 United Nations Plaza - at East 46th Street - by Harrison & Abramovitz

Quote Originally Posted by Solow master plan for Con Ed sites south of United Nations filed
    Recently, the Macklowe Organization purchased a site across First Avenue from the United Nations that conceivably could be developed much taller than the United Nations.
    Yes the Macklowe Organization is planing a new highrise where this building is...

Site

Here is a story...

Macklowe buys U.N. Plaza site

August 22, 2005

Macklowe Properties has purchased 823 U.N. Plaza at East 46th Street from the Anti-Defamation League for an undisclosed price.

The 11-story office building, which was built in 1952, will eventually be torn down and replaced with a residential high-rise, according to brokers familiar with the plans.

The ADL has occupied more than 80,000 square feet of the 150,000-square-foot building since 1979. It has yet to find new space, an ADL spokeswoman says. The nonprofit, which will probably not move from its offices until late next year or early 2007, has hired brokerage CB Richard Ellis.

Other tenants at 823 U.N. Plaza include the Austrian and Belgian missions to the United Nations. A spokeswoman for the Austrian Mission, which occupies over 12,000 square feet, says it has not found a new site. A spokeswoman for the Belgian Mission declined to comment.

Macklowe has completed a flurry of deals recently, including selling a 41-story residential tower at 515 E. 72nd St. and building a 31-story condo project at 310 E. 53rd St.

--Julie Satow

©2005 Crain Communications Inc.
    Last edited by krulltime; April 13th, 2007 at 04:40 PM.

Not a very special building....

^ I wonder if the plaza above is included with the new tower... also this is right next to the Trump Tower so it will block alot of views for residents there. Especially since is taller than The United Nations Tower.
    Last edited by krulltime; January 6th, 2007 at 04:07 PM.

I walked by here there other night and noticed that something was razed on the land adjacent to the UN Plaza Hotel (i.e., the nice looking green glass towers). Is that where the new US Mission to the UN will be built?

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    I walked by here there other night and noticed that something was razed on the land adjacent to the UN Plaza Hotel (i.e., the nice looking green glass towers). Is that where the new US Mission to the UN will be built?
    Yes. It was demolished about a year ago. Not sure when this project is going to get going.

So that is the site of the new US Mission?

I always liked that building and the park. A friend of mine worked in an office there on the ground floor and Id stop by. It looks like a building you might find in a Swiss city or in Milan. Its very European style modern. When NYC was in its lowest depths, this area of town was still classy. The UN apts were near by on 48th and that was THE height of modern sophisticated living. Johnny Carson, Truman Capote ( youd see him around always drunk and really sad) and I think the pres of CBS? lived there. These new buildings like the TWC, are nothing compared to what the UN Plaza apartments were in their day.

I am not sure what site you guys are talking about but the site avobe that I have posted is not where the new UN tower is going to be built. This is a new residential tower plan on this site that is going to be taller than the UN Plaza Tower. Might be as tall as the Trump Tower.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Sounds good krull. Better to have more than one monster sticking up in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    I always liked that building and the park...It looks like a building you might find in a Swiss city or in Milan. Its very European style modern. When NYC was in its lowest depths, this area of town was still classy.
    Always thought this building was a class act; it brought modern European elegance to New York. Ditto the adjacent plaza. Here you can imagine youre in Auteuil or Passy.

Folks dont see its virtues because its in the same chronological trough as 2 Columbus Circle; few can admire a building at age fifty or so: at that age its too old to be the latest thing, too new to be historic. Harrison and Abramowitz were the architects; their credits include the UN and Lincoln Center.

^ They also were the creators of the Rockefeller Extension trio on Sixth Ave. and the Empire State Plaza in Albany. Obviously, they were capable of some refined high modernist stuff, but also some of the worst abominations to come from that period, but I believe those blunders were commited under the far-reaching influence of Harrison's pallie Nelson R.

Quote Originally Posted by kznyc2k
    ... Empire State Plaza in Albany ...
    great locale for a science fiction movie, not much else

Could someone rename this thread to 823 United Nations Plaza?

823 East 46th Street doesn't exist.

^ That would be out in the middle of the East River, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    ^ That would be out in the middle of the East River, eh?
    Maybe even Long Island City

It's in good company ...

Lucy & Ricky's apartment on "I Love Lucy" was in a non-existent block on the east side:

623 East 68th Street ...

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast