Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shanghai: World Financial Center, 492m (101 floors)

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    No, they're definitely not (big on the streetwall). Same goes for Dubai. It's ironic that the biggest and often best examples of urban architecture - the skyscraper - are today being built in places that don't seem very urban at all. Everyone's getting around in the car, and parking it in the lower-levels of the skyscraper. It's the vertical shopping mall.
    On visiting New York, Corbu's comment was: "The skyscrapers are too small and they are too close together."

Too bad he didn't live to see Dubai and Shanghai.

In the U.S., Corbu sold his ideas to Robert Moses.

Default street wall in puxi (other side of the river)

Puxi, on the other side of the river, has street wall. I don't know why the street wall is not a planning feature in Pudong, but I agree that it limits its appeal. Puxi is a much more fun area at virtually all times.

Quote Originally Posted by investordude
    I don't know why the street wall is not a planning feature in Pudong
    It's not "modern." China wants to be modern.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    It's not "modern." China wants to be modern.
    And "modern" still entails the car as the sole means of transport and lots of underutilized green spaces to make driving less of a pain.

Latest picture:

Proposals for what'll likely be an even taller tower on the plot next door:

I'm starting to think this tower is going to turn out kind of bad. Nothing really interesting in those HUGE expanses of glass. The shape is interesting, but facade treatment is a bore. No details whatsoever.

China is whacked ...

Last night on NOVA there was a show called "Building on Ground Zero" and they interviewed the chief engineer of the WTC, Leslie Robertson, who is also doing the Shanghai WFC.

Here's a link to the website and some info (theres a video there):

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/wtc/shanghai.html

The Tallest Tower
    After 9/11, can engineers build a safer tall tower? The tallest skyscrapers today are built outside the U.S., as bustling economies, scarcity of land, and expanding populations have made skyscrapers a necessity. In this report by "Building on Ground Zero" preoducer Larry Klein, hear Leslie Robertson, the structural engineer behind New York's World Trade Center, describe the safety features of his latest project, the World Financial Center in Shanghai, China. When the building is finished in 2008, it will be over 1,600 feet tall. The report was edited by NOVA online's David Levin.

Some new updates from this rising giant.

Some recent pics of this great project.

From different contributers from skyscrapers.cn

IN a couple of years we should be getting similar photos from WTC site:

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

But will the Freedom Tower be nearly as sturdy though?

I mean, look at how the outer steel columns are further reinforced/protected by encasing them in concrete.

A 9/11-type attack probably wouldn't be able to bring this thing down.

If China really wants to be "modern" it will open up to the concepts of free speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion, and a free press. A thousand new skyscrapers don't make China "modern." The place is still a backward totalitarian dump, and its people simply fodder for mistreatment and occasional organ harvesting.

although i agree in the first part of your reply i do not agree with the terms used in the second part. China may be a very different place, but taking in all aspects of their society and culture, i think they are truly trying to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    If China really wants to be "modern" it will open up to the concepts of free speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion, and a free press. A thousand new skyscrapers don't make China "modern." The place is still a backward totalitarian dump, and its people simply fodder for mistreatment and occasional organ harvesting.
    How many times have you visited China to come up with such an opinion.
    The changes in China are very immenent and because they are not following the rules of capitalism does not mean they are backward.
    China has more history than our western civilisation has.

Ans besides this all. (very off topic)
    They are building some great buildings and the cities are getting more vibrant by the days.

I refer the right honorable gentleman to the statement I issued previously which, unfortunately, was off-topic but needed to be said. If a thread can be located from which to continue to discussion, I would be pleased to carry on at that location. Now, to get back ON topic, these new supertalls are spectacular, but I have to wonder how safe they are. Do Chinese engineers have the ability to question their superiors? Are they allowed to question authority to any degree? What if workmanship is slipshod? Is there even a building code in China? What is the quality control mechanism? Important questions, can't find answers.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast