Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New York can't seem to build over 900 ft.

Default New York can't seem to build over 900 ft.

With all the new giants going up in Asia not to mention a few record breakers in the planning stage for Chicago, New York just can't seem to build anything over 900 ft. these days.
    With the exception of the Freedom Tower, which has been scaled down, it has been years since New York had any building planned at 1,000 ft.
    The midtown skyline looks like a wall of massive skyscrapers all leveling out at roughly the same height.
    I'm curious as to why New York seems gutless in pushing the limits recently.
    For a city built on skyscrapers it seems to be losing ground to the tallest.

Who cares if we aren't the tallest? These contests are stupid anyway. I'd rather have lower buildings that are functional rather than 1500 foot+ skyscrapers to nowhere.

^ Faulty aesthetic theories enshrined in zoning limit height. You have to buy air rights for extra height, and even then you often run into a glass ceiling.

Folks have a fetish about limiting building height that I find completely incomprehensible; it's just unexamined, received wisdom. Received from whom? Grade school teachers, maybe.

I've never once felt oppressed by a tall building, yet you should read the nonsense spouted about height in Brooklyn --as though it made one iota of difference whether a skyscraper soared to 700 feet or 600 feet.

I have, however, been often elated by skyscrapers, as I am sure have we all.

Quote Originally Posted by Strattonport
    Who cares if we aren't the tallest? These contests are stupid anyway. I'd rather have lower buildings that are functional rather than 1500 foot+ skyscrapers to nowhere.
    It's not either/or. The World Trade Center was functional.

Freedom Tower was scaled down?

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    Freedom Tower was scaled down?
    A couple of times. There was a time when David Child's wanted the Freedom Tower to be 2,300 feet.

In a way I agree, I'd like to see more peaks, but even though we're not building crazy tall, we're building some awesome towers.

But, more and more wasted opportunitys are occuring all the time. Look at the con-ed site....if 864 feet is all we get, it's a lost opportunity. I think Freedom Tower is a lost opportunity to build taller.

If we don't get some peaks on the west side....there's not much that can be done after all the large development sites are gone.

What you said about the midtown skyline.....from the NJ side, you're right, it looks very flat. But from Queens, there's Chrysler, TWT, Citigroup, and Bloomberg. All respectable peaks, and of course, the UN. I prefer that view. But after Hudson Yards the NJ view may be better.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

A couple of times. There was a time when David Child's wanted the Freedom Tower to be 2,300 feet.
    But wait!
    The scaling down might not end there.
    Next scale down will be to 0 ft.

Look at the con-ed site....if 864 feet is all we get, it's a lost opportunity.
    May not even get 864 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    If we don't get some peaks on the west side....there's not much that can be done after all the large development sites are gone.
    That's what I am hoping for. With an FAR of 10-15 for much of the Far West Side's new zoning that the City is working on, we are bound to get a really tall tower. Plus, the City will be on the side of a developer wanting to build high on the West side because Dept. of City Planning has gotten very serious about how much square footage of new office space the City needs over the next few decades to survive.

The Far West Side is keeping me optimistic...I just hope I am not being misled.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Right, but it was not a full building as it is now. I'd prefer the current design at 1368' rather than a 2300 foot antenna anyday.

>sigh<

Forgive me, but I have to use this. It is for your own good!

"It's not the size that matters. It is how you use it."

'nuff said.

Forum Veteran

fact is that at about 50 stories thats were a developer makes the most for his investment, over that number and it become less profitable, the people that build are more worried about making money and renting the office space then to some imaginary contest

If the price of land goes up faster than the price of materials, design and construdtion, you will see them go taller.

But you are right, it costs more money PER SQUARE FOOT the higher you go up in a building.

The main costs:

- Gravity support columns
    - Lateral Resisting Systems (brace frames for wind and earthquake)
    - Foundation support systems
    - Elevator, plumbing and HVAC costs
    - Construction equipment
    - Shipping of materials to Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    In a way I agree, I'd like to see more peaks, but even though we're not building crazy tall, we're building some awesome towers.

But, more and more wasted opportunitys are occuring all the time. Look at the con-ed site....if 864 feet is all we get, it's a lost opportunity. I think Freedom Tower is a lost opportunity to build taller.

What you said about the midtown skyline.....from the NJ side, you're right, it looks very flat. But from Queens, there's Chrysler, TWT, Citigroup, and Bloomberg. All respectable peaks, and of course, the UN. I prefer that view. But after Hudson Yards the NJ view may be better.
    I agree from queens the skyline is amazing, but from jersey its very flat. Also lower manhattan is very flat but with the new 1 wtc and the rest of wtc it could be good. We also need to count ourselves lucky because we have two skylines and that is very unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge"
    It's not the size that matters. It is how you use it.
    It's not either/or. You can have both. Calatrava's tower is an example, and so are the Chrysler and Empire State.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast