Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Washington Heights

Great photos.

Nice editing.

Making the ordinary eye catching.

Nice pics. I've always wanted the Bridge Towers to be more symmetric. For the two on the sides to have their cores set to the insides or the outsides and for the middle tower to have it centered. That said, I would bet money that they're laid out the way they are, asymmetrically, intentionally. Of the time, if you will. Not my time I suppose. They would be nice buildings if they were cleaned more regularly and the retail podiums got just a little bit of a touchup. Maybe the redo of the GWBBS will move that along. Maybe not.

I'm sure they provide some some great views.

More nice photos, mostly of Washington Heights here:
    http://www.artbydjboy.com/nyc/
    Last edited by Derek2k3; February 5th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.

Very, very cool.

United Palace will bring movies back to Washington Heights on a regular basis

Massive ornate moviehouse raised $40,000 online. Money is for projectors and content.

By Ronald Chavez / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 1:18 PM

Mariela Lombard/for New York Daily News

The United Palace Theater on Broadway and West 176th St. has raised enough money to bring back regular movie screenings.

A monumental uptown film venue is on its way back.
    The United Palace Theater has raised $40,000 to buy new equipment and restore regular screenings.
    RELATED: TOUR PUTS STEVE WINWOOD 'BACK IN THE HIGH LIFE'
    “There’s something about that communal experience, sitting with your neighbor in a darkened room and watching magic flicker on the screen,” said United Palace Executive Director Mike Fitelson, who used the fundraising site IndieGoGo to raise the funds for the Washington Heights center, which has not had regular movie screenings for 44 years.
    The money will go towards a more substantial film series beginning next year. The ornate venue, at 175th St. and Broadway, will continue to host art events and concerts.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2Yh06Wwv7

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    Nice pics. I've always wanted the Bridge Towers to be more symmetric. For the two on the sides to have their cores set to the insides or the outsides and for the middle tower to have it centered. That said, I would bet money that they're laid out the way they are, asymmetrically, intentionally. Of the time, if you will. Not my time I suppose.
    I think it was more of a utilitarian decision. Core-free sides face the street while cored sides face the less desirable rear that opens at GW approach underpasses.

Oh Heights, how far you've come, how far you have left to go: http://northattan.com/2013/10/01/was...mixed-reviews/

I'm depressed at the quotes they have about nothing to do. I worry what something to do would look like. I mean, if you're looking for flagship stores (shopping), or five star restaurants, it's true, this isn't your nabe. But the parks are incredible and there are many cultural items, like the Cloisters.

Related, it's interesting that no one brings up just family visiting. This will be great to put my parents in (or stay in myself when they visit), so there's no one stuck on the couch any more. I mean, the building I'm in is effectively 60 1 bedroom apartments. Not many spare bedrooms, as it were.

Massive Sinkhole Opens on Washington Heights Street

By Ben Fractenberg and Lindsay Armstrong
    December 1, 2014

A sanitation truck was stuck in the large hole on Monday morning.
    DNAinfo/BenFractenberg

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS — A huge sinkhole opened up on West 158th Street Monday morning, leading a garbage truck to become stuck in the gaping hole and closing the street to traffic, according to locals and police.

It was unclear what caused the sinkhole, located near the corner of Edgecombe Avenue, though it managed to partially swallow a Department of Sanitation truck, a witness and police source said.

“They pulled a garbage truck out,” said Earl Green, 40, who works at a building close to the intersection. “That’s crazy.”

A police source confirmed that a truck belonging to the Sanitation Department had gotten stuck, but had since been freed. No injuries were reported.

As of Monday afternoon, West 158th Street was closed to traffic between Edgecombe and St. Nicholas avenues.

A spokesman for the Department of Environmental Protection, which is normally responsible for repairing sinkholes, said an investigation at the site revealed a small break in the sewer line that runs beneath the road. Temporary repairs, including rebuilding the roadway, are currenlty under way at the site, he said.

DEP will schedule a more permanent repair in the near future, the spokesman added.

Con Edison was also making repairs at the site, a police source said, though the agency did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2014...heights-street

More like scary. Based on photos prior to the improvements, this is better, but still... 900 feet is a long way to be walking underground with nowhere to go if something goes wrong.

Do any WNYers use this tunnel? kz1000ps?

City Seeking Artists to Paint Murals for 'Creepy' 191st Street Tunnel

By Lindsay Armstrong on March 12, 2015

191st Street Tunnel

FORT GEORGE — There’s a light at the end of this tunnel.

The Department of Transportation is seeking five artists to create murals for the 191st Street 1 train tunnel, marking the final step in a months-long effort to refurbish the once dark and dilapidated passageway that residents have described as “creepy."

The agency is looking for art that will “help brighten and enliven the passageway,” the DOT said.

Each artist selected for the project will be given a 200-foot long section of the 900-foot tunnel to decorate. The murals, which are being commissioned through the agency’s public art program, will stay in place for one year.

One of the murals will be chosen to replace the painting currently decorating the entrance to the tunnel, the DOT said.

In 2008, the agency partnered with artist Belle Benfield, the Groundswell Community Mural Project and the local YMHA to create the entrance's mural. The piece, which depicts the 1 train as a roller coaster looping past local landmarks, has since been marred by graffiti.

Installing public art is the last step in a refurbishment project that has included replacing dim bulbs with brighter LED lights, repainting the tunnel and improving its cleanliness.

The renovations came after years of complaints from residents about the three-block long tunnel, which is the only way to access the 191st Street station from Broadway.

Residents were happy to see the changes, which were completed in the fall of 2014, but there has been some concern over growing vandalism in the freshly painted space.

Virginia Annibale, who lives near the tunnel, brought the issue to the March meeting of Community Board 12’s transportation committee.

“I was very happy to see all of the improvements,” she said. “But, bit by bit, every time I walk through, there’s more graffiti.”

During the year that the murals are in place, the DOT and the artists will work together to maintain the paintings.

The deadline to submit a proposal for the project is March 20. The murals will be installed in the space sometime in May 2015.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2015...-street-tunnel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kingal...n/photostream/

I used to use this all the time. It's honestly not that scary. It's no dirtier/darker/etc than any other subway station/tunnel. In fact, if you saw how often people got stuck in the elevators to this station, you'd probably find the tunnel to be far less scary. It would be cool with a big long mural, though. There's a similar tunnel for the A a few blocks from here. Nifty triva, even though 191st st on the 1 is the deepest station in the entire system (180ft below the st), not only can you walk straight into it via this tunnel, but you can also see daylight out the tunnel to the Dyckman St. station from the platform.

Plaza de Las Americas Reclaims Space for People in Washington Heights

by Stephen Miller

The plaza will add pedestrian space and create a permanent home for vendors and a farmers market.
    Image: DOT/DDC

The city broke ground this morning on a new plaza in Washington Heights set to open early next year. The project will transform an extra-wide asphalt block into a permanent public space hosting vendors and a farmers market.

Plaza de Las Americas is located on 175th Street between Broadway and Wadsworth Avenue. The project, which was selected in the first round of the plaza program in 2008, is sponsored by the Washington Heights and Inwood Development Corporation. Construction is funded by $5 million from the city’s budget.

The 14,000 square foot space, between a supermarket and a historic theater, has been used by a farmers market since 1980 and a vendors market since 1994. The new plaza will give vendors access to electricity and water for the first time. The plaza will also feature trees, lighting, benches, tables, chairs, and a fountain by artist Ester Partegás, according to a DOT press release. The paving materials and patterns aim to evoke the plazas of Latin America and the Caribbean.

The project will also likely have traffic safety benefits: Since 2009, four motor vehicle occupants, five pedestrians, and one cyclist have been injured at Broadway and 175th, according to DOT data. The city has identified Broadway as a Vision Zero priority corridor.

“La Plaza de Las Americas will not only give our street vendors a beautiful, tree-lined venue to sell,” Council Member Ydanis Rodriguez said in the release, “but also our neighborhood a new focal point.”

Today, 175th Street is an extra-wide asphalt crossing. Photo: Google Maps

http://www.streetsblog.org/2015/03/2...ngton-heights/

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Do any WNYers use this tunnel? kz1000ps?
    Nope, I'm down on the south end of the neighborhood, around 160th.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789