Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Heights

Default Washington Heights

Hi, I just moved to the area (Columbia presbyterian area) and I'm liking it pretty well. There seem to be a lot of bars and restaurants and I was wondering if anyone knew any that were good and welcoming. To non spanish speakers

Lightbulb

Welcome! I also live in the 'hood. Sadly, have not been to many of the newest places that have opened up.

A good first source is the Northern Manhattan's Dining Guide. You can order a free copy from here. I can't find an online copy, sorry.

Also check out the main site, Manhattan Times, or pick it up at these locations.

I've been to some great bars and restaurants up on 187th, near the Cloisters. It's a bit of a trek, but a fun area for nightlife.

Forum Veteran

I love Washington Heights. It's still a viable nabe, not entirely gentrified, and has a very Jane Jacobs vibe to it.

One of my favorite nightspots up there is Jesse's Place on 181st and Pinehurst. Very mixed crowd, reasonable prices, karaoke on Friday nights.

Screw gentrification. Not every area has to be gentrified. That is when an area loses character. Im not talking about crime and drugs, but I'm talking the people that are there now that will eventually get forced out because they cant afford it. Then it will get sterille and everything wil start to look alike. The day a Starbucks gets put there, the people currently there are screwed.

In the days of yore, there was a thriving drug trade at Broadway & 145th. One day a Starbucks appeared on the corner. It proved unsuccessful. Starbucks left, and the drug lords rule the corner anew.

Its called cops. I made it clear I did not mean drugs or crime. Good Starbucks left they represent the killers of small business to large corps. Starbucks coffee isn't even good. Its burnt coffee thats their secret they overbrew the damm coffee. Grande, tall, short MFG, what ever happened to large, medium, small. Go in there and ask for regular coffee and watch the maddness insue (evil laugh) bwahahaa. Give me a local bodaga or Dunkin Donuts for that matter anyday.

You're such a cliche.

They ended up putting a Starbucks even further into Washington Heights so I guess it's a moot point.

Default A Cool Place

Blue Evolution.....806 W 187TH St.

A downtown feel Uptown. Near the Cloisters...Give me a shout if you feel like meeting some locals. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Cheers.

Ron.

What's the bar that shares a backyard with Bleu Evolution? I had a great night at that place and recommend that, as well.

I just remembered: The Monkey Room.

You might find this helpful, JayDee:

http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/...,51212,15.html

Default Bleu Evolution....and next door Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    What's the bar that shares a backyard with Bleu Evolution? I had a great night at that place and recommend that, as well.
    It's more of a cafe than a bar last I was around. It's on Fort Washington Ave. B-E is on 187th. I go there sometimes on Sundays, then hit the park.

I definitely recall a happy hour that turned into a happy binge, but this was years ago. They had a great area in the back with patio tables.

Default Blue Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    I definitely recall a happy hour that turned into a happy binge, but this was years ago. They had a great area in the back with patio tables.
    Yeah, I know the place. I wish there were more like it in the area. Every crap neighborhood in New York City seems to be becoming hip these days. And the housing stock in Washington/Hudson Heights, and Inwood is primo pre-war. So why not Northern Manhattan? People are getting pushed out of downtown anyway.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast