Museum Park's together

18th and Prairie

5440 Sheridan

Clark & Illinois

351 N Clark base

SoNo

Lexington Park

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Many years ago Chicago realized that they could never hope to compete with NY re/ sheer volume or cultural expression, so they turned to quality architecture to get noticed.

I like Chicago's arcitecture so much more than what NY has proposed now, I like innovative but still "classical" skyscrapers much more than the plain weird stuff (Gehry) that is underway here.

Now don't get me wrong, I like original designs but every one of Chicago's buildings is just "wow, that's tall" and none of them are "wtf is that supposed to be?" like many are in NY.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    ...and none of them are "wtf is that supposed to be?" like many are in NY.
    You mean like this one:

517 W. 42nd St.

^^^I think this is by now NYWired´s official ugliest building for 2006.

The Dude Abides

^Maybe even of the entire decade. Putting that aside though, I don't find Chicago's architecture to be that enthralling. With the exception of 18th & Prairie, none of those residentials are any better than what you'd find going up in Manhattan these days. Standard boxy shapes, glass, balconies...and some of them may look taller, yes, but a lot of times that's just because there are no tall buildings in the immediate surroundings. I'll admit, Chicago has some great projects going up - Trump, Waterview, Fordham (although I think that last one may suffer the same fate as 80 South) - but as far as overall quality of design, I'm not overly impressed. Especially now that a lot of us forumers agree the bar for average residential design has been lifted in New York. And, one more thing to keep in mind: This is a forum about New York. We see literally everything that's going up in Manhattan these days, now matter how small or big, ugly or striking, cheap or luxe. With only a few people posting Chicago projects, it's more likely we're seeing the upper echelons of new construction there anyway.

^The worst thing put up here over the past few years has to be the Gateway Plaza towers. This is the taller of the two buildings, the other is a shorter but otherwise identical buildings

Please STR, don't scare us like that. Only thing good about Grand Plaza was the amount of retail they crammed into the base.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    I'll admit, Chicago has some great projects going up - Trump, Waterview, Fordham (although I think that last one may suffer the same fate as 80 South)
    Why the hesitation? It's still far from being built, but all the news has been fairly good.

With only a few people posting Chicago projects, it's more likely we're seeing the upper echelons of new construction there anyway.
    You're somewhat right. This isn't a compilation of all projects so I wouldn't bother to bore anyone with the worst proposals. But many of the projects I did post are not highly publicized, and some of them (like Lexington Park above) are being proposed in places we never thought would be possible.

Here's a sampling of good, bad, and average buildings (under construction and proposed)

You can tell me which ones you like and don't like
    Last edited by spyguy999; May 14th, 2006 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    You mean like this one:

517 W. 42nd St.
    Oh my god

Chicago has some good stuff going up but the problem is the huge parking podiums. In almost all the new towers the lowest third of the building is a giant parking garage.

This seriously compromises the new buildings at street level, though it actually enhances the skyline as it makes the buildings taller than they would be if the parking were put underground.

My sister lives in River North. There are some gigantic parking garages at street level, though the upper portions of the towers are often rather attractive.

Chicago why do you do this to us? I'm so jealous of Chicago. They have some exciting new buildings out there. Right now there are only a handful of NYC projects that could really rival Chicago's in the design department. I've said so many times that I want to move out there and some day I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Thethinkingman
    Chicago why do you do this to us? I'm so jealous of Chicago. They have some exciting new buildings out there. Right now there are only a handful of NYC projects that could really rival Chicago's in the design department. I've said so many times that I want to move out there and some day I will.
    Design is obviously subjective but there are far more projects by starchitects and other big-deal types in NYC than in Chicago. The ratio is probably like 10-to-1. Pretty much every "name" architect has a couple projects brewing in NYC.

It's hard for me to make a comparison because you have a difference of scale. Both cities have tons of good stuff and tons of crap. NYC has about 3x the construction of Chicago so it has lots more good and bad.

If you do move out there, understand that NYC and Chicago are completely different. Both great cities but not at all comparable.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy999

You can tell me which ones you like and don't like
    Honestly I only like these two. All the others are average-looking, even subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz
    Design is obviously subjective but there are far more projects by starchitects and other big-deal types in NYC than in Chicago. The ratio is probably like 10-to-1. Pretty much every "name" architect has a couple projects brewing in NYC.
    Who gives a @#$% what the name is? You can get quality stuff from no names (Teng's Waterview, Gang's Aqua) yet get absolute crap from famous architect's (Ghery's bandshell).

"The name" is, has been and will always be more hype than substance.

I agree, and that goes for every single creative profession in existence.
    From fashion to music to architecture. The truly great ones toil in anonymity.
    For every crappy, no-talent hack like Britney Spears, there are 5 genius musicians who will never get a contract.
    For every overblown, idiotic and hugely successful Hollywood movie, there are 5 independent films that outclass it.

The armies of merchandisers, PR goons, salespeople, "journalists", "critics"(oh Jesus, I hate that term), and "experts"(even worse) are the culprits.. Basically, people with no creative talent of their own. Artists of the world, UNITE!!

My morning rant is officially over now. Bye, I'm off to consume and experience more crap!

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast