Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago Reaching for the Sky

Default Chicago

I have family in Chicago. When I visit the people there are very proud of their architecture and really embrace "the bigger the better". I think they feel if the developer owns the land that he has the right to build as big as he wants. Chicago does not have community boards like New York. The mayor and city council are pro development. I think it is absurd that here the boards feel they are entitled to dictate what the developer can build. This is almost anti capitalism. People don't have a " right" to views and dirt cheap apartments at the expense of everyone else. There is a housing shortage and every time something is proposed the boards scream bloody murder and try to prevent anything from being built and thus the shortage only gets worse and the prices keep going up.

^ Maybe this helps explain why Chicago's skyline rivals New York's --though Chicago is a much smaller city.

Chicagoians are very proud of their skyline. They love the fact that the very first true skyscrapers, and some of the tallest buildings in the world, are in their hometown. I love that attitude. Think BIG!!!!!!

^ Sometime ago, New Yorkers were proud of their ever changing skyline. Oh well... now they think SMALL!!!

I probably should have explained that this guy had it coming. People only started yelling after he veered off-topic and spoke about his crusade against a 30 story building. He was stupid enough to buy a unit (or more) in a building next to a lot that they didn't control in the hottest part of the city and actually believed people would care if he lost his views. And so he started picketing the sales center and never told people about a secret meeting he had where he rejected a compromise deal. So he has basically embarrassed the tenants of that building in the neighborhood and turned off a lot of would-be NIMBYs because of his behavior.

He's really doing a service to us, however.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    ^ Maybe this helps explain why Chicago's skyline rivals New York's --though Chicago is a much smaller city.
    It's incredible how much smaller and less dense the skyline is in Chicago. I recently saw aerial shots of both cities, and the difference was astounding. I'll try to get them posted at some point, assuming I can find them again.

Unlike New York, there is lots of vacant land near the downtown area and tons of parking lots and small buildings that the owners hope will get bought and hardly anyone to fight the plans since the plots are generally a few blocks from the lake where there is the greatest residential concentration. Very few people are going to lose the views even with these massive buildings, so most people don't care.

The Dude Abides

Funny you should mention that in Chicago, the valuable views are of the lake. In New York, while views of the river are nice, people seem to pay much more for inward-looking views - of Central Park, and of the skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    It's incredible how much smaller and less dense the skyline is in Chicago. I recently saw aerial shots of both cities, and the difference was astounding. I'll try to get them posted at some point, assuming I can find them again.
    Yeah, it's definitely very different. Also, land prices do not always warrant the need for highrises, thus why the skyline basically hugs the lake up to Evanston. Only in a place like Lincoln Park or Lakeview have the prices gotten to the point where developers would put up a highrise on whatever lots are left.

There was a nice pano someone did that should a good deal of the skyline going up north. Hopefully I'll find it.

The Dude Abides

Here are the aerials. Found them at Skyscraper City

Chicago:

New York:

And just for kicks, Sao Paulo:

There are a few other amazing ones on there, if anyone's interested.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ That's every New York NIMBYs' worst nightmare.

We should all kick in to help pay for Andrew Berman's one-way plane ticket to Sao Paulo.

Last edited by spyguy999; July 1st, 2006 at 12:39 AM.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    ^ That's every New York NIMBYs' worst nightmare.

We should all kick in to help pay for Andrew Berman's one-way plane ticket to Sao Paulo.
    Yeah, if you wanna talk about horrible architecture and boring buildings, don't even start with New York. All these cities - Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Beijing - have endless vistas of blank walls and overall depressing architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    Yeah, if you wanna talk about horrible architecture and boring buildings, don't even start with New York. All these cities - Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Beijing - have endless vistas of blank walls and overall depressing architecture.
    Buenos Aires is a lot better than Sao Paulo.

The Dude Abides

Spyguy: If there's one advantage Chicago's got over New York, it's that coastline. Beautiful shot! Although the skyline itself looks even less substantial there...

Ablarc: I'll take your word for it. I've heard that some of Buenos Aires' more recent development has been fairly high quality architecture. But this pic doesn't seem to do it justice. Bleak is the word that comes to mind. Maybe it's the lack of green/open space (with the exception of that gigantic thoroughfare that seems to slice the city into two parts):

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast