Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago Reaching for the Sky

I think the reason why NYC has a better skyline than Chicago, is because the fact that NYC (or Manhattan for that matter) is nothing but an island. Where as NYC is 5 boroughs that are either on an island or part of one, Chicago is just a vast city sprawled over 225 sq miles. So the population density isn't going to be that high, unless you're in the Loop. Where as Manhattan, is forced to build high, there is no where to go, but up. The city has only about 20 some sq miles, with over 1.5 million people living there (and that's not counting tourist, or people who work in the city). That is why Manhattan is an island of man-made mountains. We can all agree that Los Angeles has almost NO skyline to speak of. That's because of the fact that city is spread out over so many sq miles (I think it's over 460, in terms of land). Why would LA waste time building higher and higher when they don't have to? So, NYC will always be the king when it comes to a skyline. Though I think cities can compete with New York when it comes individual skyscrapers.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC
    Where as NYC is 5 boroughs that are either on an island or part of one
    The Bronx?

^ The island's called North America.

lol. You guys know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC
    lol. You guys know what I mean.
    Yeah, I guess so.

Actually, before 1914 the name of the island would have been just "America."

North and South hadn't yet been separated by water.

I think some people are getting confused between "bigger" and "better".

I'm an unabashed and very biased Chicagoan. Lived here all my life. I've been to New York on trips. Each city is great in its own way: New York is filled with a certain buzz that you just don't get in any other city in America. There's just so many people doing so many things that you can't help but feel excited. Chicago is a more laid-back town, a town where the people work hard and have a lot of fun when they're done. Now because I said Chicago is more laid-back doesn't mean its boring; anything you can do in New York, you can do in Chicago too.

As for the skylines, New York's is, always has been, and probably always will be bigger than Chicago's. The density imposed on the population by Manhattan Island will ensure that there will always be a need for skyscrapers. Chicago on the other hand is blessed (cursed) with nothing but wide, flat, rolling plains for a thousand miles in every direction. That being said, I think Chicago's skyline is better. Chicago's skyline is greater than the sum of its parts. Each building complements the other and leads to a harmonization that just isn't present in New York. Manhattan's skyline has a collection of very impressive pieces of architecture, but in the end, they all just blend together to form a big collection of skyscrapers: it's impressive, but it isn't beautiful. In addition, Chicago has an abundance of parks leading to great views from some islands in the heart of the city. New York is just one unending building after another, to the point where you sometimes feel you just need a break from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlychipmunks
    New York is just one unending building after another, to the point where you sometimes feel you just need a break from it.
    I don't know that you are making an informed judgment by saying that the NYC skyline has no break.

If you have ever seen the NYC Skyline from the east or the west it has various peaks and valleys. Specially from the east you can see at least 4 different peaks. You have the downtown skyscrapers, then midtown skyscrapers of course, separated by the low lands of smaller buildings then on the periphery separated by the rivers you have downtown Brooklyn skyscrapers and Jersey city skyscrapers. And eventually a fifth one is sprouting in Queens very soon.

Default Aqua Chicago......

I must say, the aqua tower in Chicago is just totally awesome. The facade is really one of the most imaginative pieces of work I have ever seen in a scraper; check out how the balconies were worked into the facade waves. Pure imagination. So freaking cool.

(I took these pics from Chicago and STR posts on skyscraper page.com)

...and here in NYC we end up with crap like the Orion

What I love about the Aqua tower is that not much needs to be done in order to make it look like this. It seems like a cost-effective way of making a great design, just change the balconies a little and there you have it

I think this building is grogeous. If someone proposed this in NY they (community boards) would complain about the height and that the design didn't fit in with the rest of the skyline.

The Dude Abides

It's a box with wavy balcony designs. Big deal. The Absolute Condo in Mississaugu, Ontario, is much more interesting:

The big deal is that Aqua has just passed the 70% sold mark. That Canada thing is still a gleam in a developers eyes.

Also, the big deal is that it is a beautiful example of how aesthetic form follows function. In this case the use of a component of a condo (balconies) was used to enhanced its design (waves).

The Dude Abides

Like I said, it's a box with some wavy balcony designs. It's a nice idea, but it remains to be seen what the effect will be like in person. And so what if it's already 70% sold? The Absolute Tower's design was only finalized about three and a half months ago, and they haven't even completed thorough sketches yet. Nonetheless, it's already generated a lot of international attention because of its unique design, and will instantly create a new landmark for Mississauga and for Canada. Another rendering:

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    Like I said, it's a box with some wavy balcony designs. It's a nice idea, but it remains to be seen what the effect will be like in person. And so what if it's already 70% sold? The Absolute Tower's design was only finalized about three and a half months ago, and they haven't even completed thorough sketches yet. Nonetheless, it's already generated a lot of international attention because of its unique design, and will instantly create a new landmark for Mississauga and for Canada. Another rendering:

OMG. I want one.... That is beautiful!

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast