Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 34 Leonard Street

The Dude Abides

Default 34 Leonard Street

Don't think it's the same building, but it's really close to the other one mentioned in the thread. From http://cityrealty.com:

Revised plan for new building at 180 West Broadway presented 30-NOV-05

R Squared LLP, of which Gregg Rechler is a principal, submitted a revised design a proposed residential building at 180 West Broadway in TriBeCa to the city’s Board of Standards & Appeals yesterday.

The new design by Beyer Blinder Belle is a shorter and a cantilever over an adjoining property has been eliminated. The F.A.R. (floor-to-area) ratio of the new design is 6.28 as opposed to the previous design’s 6.75.

An even larger proposal had been submitted to the board last December and then withdrawn and Community Board 1 indicated last June it was not enchanted with the 6.75 F.A.R. scheme.

The previous proposal had involved cantilevering part of the proposed building about 16 feet over an existing garage on the site that will remain on the site, according to Ross Moscovitz of the law firm of Stroock Stroock & Lavan, which represents R Squared.

Mr. Moscovitz told the board that the revised plan has reduced the number of apartments from 34 to 30 and that the 13 stories have been lowered to 12. The initial proposal called for 60 apartments.

R Squared LLP is a joint venture of Gregg and Michael Rechler, who are former executives of Reckson Associates Realty Corporation where in their 20 year tenure they directed the management, acquisition, development and disposition of over 25 million square feet of commercial property. Reckson is one of the pre-eminent commercial real estate developers on Long Island and in recent years it has also been acquiring properties in New York City.

The board closed the hearing and will issue a decision January 10, 2006.

The site has been leased from Louis Provenzano. The building is between Leonard and Worth Streets and is very near the large Western Union Building on West Broadway that has a F.A.R. of about 20. The F.A.R zoned for the 180 West Broadway site is 5 and Mr. Moscovitz said that a project could be advanced at that F.A.R., where it not for the fact that soil conditions and proximity to a subway create financial "hardships" for any project there.

The developer are also seeking variances from regulations relating to street plantings, lot coverage, street wall height, and overall height. A subway runs under part of the site, which creates problems for tree plantings on the sidewalks.

The site has been one zoning lot for more than 50 years, according to Moscovitz, who told the board that because part of the site was an active gas station from 1950 to 1985 there are a "host of environment issues" that could impact "neighboring sites" if not remedied.

The proposed building would have an entrance on Leonard Street.

The site is now occupied by a garage and Buster’s Garage, a large sports bar.

I meant to ask if this is the same project that's been discussed for a long time on Broadway and Leonard. I assume that it's not.

No, it's two blocks to the west, north of the Western Union building. I split the above post off the Broadway-Leonard thread.

Also not to be confused with the NY Law School site, which is between the two.

Needs to be taller.

Very bad proportions.

NIMBYs again, for sure.

Don't they get tired of uglifying the city?

Re: Proportions ...

Needs to be SHORTER, at least the base portion of the building. The area north of the beautiful Western Union Building (beautiful, aside from fairly shoddy repair work recently done on the brick / pointing) is low rise, mainly 5 story loft buildings. Taller on this site is just inappropriate.

However the site now is pretty crappy looking -- except for the great snazzy sports cars that you can see while they await servicing at the car center currently on the site.

NY Law students will miss Buster's Garage.

Pretty good sports bar, cheap drinks, sub-par food.

^....and a lively Happy Hour. I'll miss Busters because it's one of the few places I could walk to that shows all the games.

What's on this site now?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Re: Proportions ...

Needs to be SHORTER, at least the base portion of the building. The area north of the beautiful Western Union Building (beautiful, aside from fairly shoddy repair work recently done on the brick / pointing) is low rise, mainly 5 story loft buildings. Taller on this site is just inappropriate.
    Presently proposed building already functions as mediator between tall Western Union and low rise buildings --a kind of step down. If it gained say three or four stories it would function better in that capacity. Plus it would more closely approach one of the low rise buildings in proportion.

They also need to reduce the scale of those large openings in the skin.

Looks like it belongs in a suburban office park.
    Last edited by ablarc; December 1st, 2005 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    What's on this site now?
    The site is now occupied by a garage and Buster’s Garage, a large sports bar.
    First El Teddys and now Busters. Sanitization of Tribeca?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Presently proposed building already functions as mediator between tall Western Union and low rise buildings --a kind of step down.
    But a very large sheer wall to the low-rise buildings to the west...

Bring the base down to 5 stories and then step back the upper floors of the building all around and you might get me on your side.

(I'm a big fan of the old-style "wedding cake" NYC buildings . Although I do think they work better in a mass, rather than as an individual structure.)

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT

Thnx

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Bring the base down to 5 stories and then step back the upper floors of the building all around and you might get me on your side.

(I'm a big fan of the old-style "wedding cake" NYC buildings . Although I do think they work better in a mass, rather than as an individual structure.)
    OK, that'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT
    There was Galway Bay across West Broadway. Now that was a bar.

^^ And a great store that sold exotic birds ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast