Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Chelsea Stratus - 101 W 24th St/735 Sixth Ave - Condo - by SLCE

Lofter, I can't take your unfounded criticism any longer.

Most normal people in NYC think it's great when dilapidated old buildings, parking lots, and abandoned units are torn down and replaced with beautiful new high rises.

These new developments bring a ton of new money into the area, which means more restaurants, stores, even tax-revenue for the city. All good things for everyone involved.

Let me guess if you had it your way, all of NYC would be untouched since the 1700's. Sounds like a place I'd like to live in. Maybe we should go back to cobblestone roads and ban all the cars to make way for the horse and buggies? Give it a rest, and start accepting something called "PROGRESS".

I love new buildings that look good.

This one don't cut the mustard

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

There's a man who is convinced; L1 even went back to his old avatar to say that!

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

ps: I like the Stratus, but as an agent I am concerned with insides.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by joesmailer View Post
    Most normal people in NYC think it's great when dilapidated old buildings, parking lots, and abandoned units are torn down and replaced with beautiful new high rises.
    Normal? I've lived here all my life and the word "normal" applies to no one in this city.

These new developments bring a ton of new money into the area, which means more restaurants, stores, even tax-revenue for the city. All good things for everyone involved.
    I have to object to the presumption that you know what is good for "everyone." Or, is that every normal one?

Let me guess if you had it your way, all of NYC would be untouched since the 1700's.
    I'm curious why you wouldn't go back further. Was there something great in place here in NYC between 1624 and the mid 1700's?

Maybe we should go back to cobblestone roads and ban all the cars to make way for the horse and buggies?
    I'd go for that in a minute. If we can't get back to cobblestones and horse & buggies, I'll gladly settle for congestion pricing or an all out ban on automobiles.

Oh, and I think the Stratus is dull, dull, dull.

I recognize that for some any development is representative of progress, but if one follows development as closely as someone like, say, Lofter, then the opinion has some weight to it. In my experience of his posts, he shows great knowledge and consideration - even if he can't get over 10-12 Barclay Street due to some genetic disposition toward repulsion at the sight of it.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; October 3rd, 2007 at 10:11 PM.

There are angles where the S**tus blocks the view of the ESB -- then I hate it as much as I do 10 Barclay.

But not NORMAL-ly

"Normal" refers to the majority of NY'ers. It's cool, I get that you are one of those die-hard preservationists. I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think the Stratus looks pretty good as far as new towers go.

I do agree that their interiors could be a tad more upgraded, but the views this building has are worth every dollar. If you haven't been up there yet I can't suggest it more strongly. It's quite stunning.

Joe, you're missing the point ...

Never have I written that the former parking lot upon which the Stratus is now rising should have been preserved -- ergo I am not, as you describe, a die-hard preservationist.

It's not about keeping all that came befoe. But rather creating buildings / developments / a city that looks, functions and serves better than what previously existed. While there is a huge plus which comes when real estate taxes from new development are put into the city coffers, those benefits are somewhat mitigated by the visual assault that certain buildings bring with them.

If we were to follow the logic which was expressed earlier whereby all new building in NYC = PROGRESS then WNYers would all just have to shut up. That just ain't gonna happen.

But your logic doesn't make any sense:

You say " Never have I written that the former parking lot upon which the Stratus is now rising should have been preserved "

and

"But rather creating buildings / developments / a city that looks, functions and serves better than what previously existed."

So by that logic you should be praising the Stratus for building upon a parking lot. Unless you are going to try and argue that the parking lot served a more functional purpose for the city then a 40 story building?

It's called a sense of balance, JM ...

Is money the only thing that makes you sing?

If so Stratus might be for you.

But not for me.

btw: Did they fix those wavy pinkish windows there yet?

Money and a view are pretty high up there. I'll spend the majority of my time looking OUT of the building not at it.

I'll agree it's not going to win any design awards, but the stratus will definitely serve it's purpose, as you put it.

Its most obvious purpose is to put money in the pockets of a taste-free developer.

From the NY Times obituary of the recently-departed Herbert Muschamp:

... One of his great themes was that New York deserved real architecture, for our times —

not what developers often try to pass off.

Banned Member

We do live in troubling times. Given his principles, we are getting exactly what he called for - troubling architecture. (Or is it non-architecture)

There is a HUGE difference between architecture which expresses these troubled, fractured times and, on the other hand, some bad excuse for a building which expresses only the cheapness and lack of vision of a developer.

I think the main point JM was making was that an apartment building such as CS is built to serve it's primary purpose - provide a living space for its tenants.

It wasn't built to please lofter1's or any random passer-by's architectural tastes. It wasn't built to visually improve our cityspace. It's built for a purpose and it does that well (I have made my point previously in this thread why I think CS is a great building to live in).

That said, lofter1 mentioned balance. And given the various opinions in this thread, I think we can agree that CS's decent to "ugly" outside is balanced by the well-liked and functional inside.

To claim that a parking garage or an electrical substation would "look, function and serve" the city better is just plain ridiculous.

ps. I'm all for an automobile ban also.

Well said, thanks for helping me clarify my point.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast