Page 105 of 116 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1735

Thread: 200 Greenwich Street - Proposed WTC Tower #2 - by Norman Foster

Damn. I came in here hoping the bump was good news. ^ Years.

Maybe we could help. I figure I could afford to lease about 50 sq. ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadd View Post
    The foundation only determines the biggest thing they can raise, weight and torque wise. They can always put something smaller there as long as the loads don't go over the limit.
    Don't forget wiggle-wise.... (moment due to lateral load... Torque is twist, usually due to geometric irregularities).

But you are right. It also limits the floor plans and such. Your lateral systems have to have a certain support, so if you decide you do not want a brace frame in one bay, you may limit your building height because the other foundation elements cannot hold the necessary loads.

Added: I actually like this design. It is probably one of the more attractive ones out there.

Unfortunately, it is not the most efficient use of space, and its special reentrant corners are a beast.

So instead we get the most boring tower of them all first, and a possibility that those two (main and boring) is all we end up with.

I think site-logistics was a bigger factor as to the order of construction.

There was a lot of work going on at the beginning in the NE quadrant. Underpinning the subway box was a big job by itself.

Possibly, but I think that that building was to be commissioned by Merryl Lynch (correct me if I am wrong) and ALL design work on it stopped IMMEDIATELY shortly after the crash in 2008.

So the complicated design may just have been an indicator of the client and other factors that were the true reason for the delay, not the actual difficulty in construction.

Just a guess. But like I said, it was an interesting design out of all of them, with quite a bit of funky steelwork (especially at the top). A shame that we will not even know for many years, and may never truly see it.

Late in 2007, ML was undecided between staying the the WFC, taking space in the WTC, or moving to the planned Pennsylvania Hotel site tower.

They were engaged in talks with Silversten about space in Tower 3, but I don't think it ever got to a letter of intent. ML had other big problems to worry about. From 2007-2008, they lost $50 million per day. In July 2008, they ended talks with Silverstein.

It was a huge disappointment at the time; ML was seen as a catalyst to bring other financial firms to the WTC. Not such a big deal if you looked at the world beyond the WTC. Nobody was going anywhere.

In order to get this deal done for NYC, Silverstein should abandon any greed and lease at cost like Related did.

??? Where's related leasing at cost? HY? They can afford to do that because they have massive amounts of commercial and residential space that will easily subsidize the office space. Silverstein has no such advantage. Don't think for a second that any of this is anything other than profit.

The WTC is a symbolic site. Silverstein should do a mitzvah and lease the space at cost. He doesn't have to make shekels on this symbolic project.

I really wish the WTC site could be completed by 2016. Hudson Yards is getting all the shine.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's in a better location.

Citi probably will go the cheapest route possible and forego new construction.

All rights reserved by O. O'Daniel on Flickr