Page 114 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116 LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1735

Thread: 200 Greenwich Street - Proposed WTC Tower #2 - by Norman Foster

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by treebeard View Post
    I'm with you. this one sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    I'm actually hoping that the deal with murdoch falls flat forcing another redesign.
    One can only hope that this horrendous stack of boxes gets thrown out and they commission another architect.... Ingels fell on his face with this one. If this gets built it undoes his pyramid in the West Side; thats how awful this desing is.

In addition to it being hideous there is an ABJECT lack of tact to design a tower that (from certain angles) looks like it is crumbling, or verge of collapse (ironically from below angle onto the feature tower) in this particular site moreso than any other location.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	1447 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	18203  
    Last edited by TREPYE; November 12th, 2015 at 11:58 PM.

Is Larry so desperate to finish the site that he'd take this hot mess over Sir Norman Foster's masterpiece? I thought for sure that Foster's design, emphasizing safety first, would have been the one to go up, considering the current site layout.

Quote Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
    Is Larry so desperate to finish the site that he'd take this hot mess over Sir Norman Foster's masterpiece? I thought for sure that Foster's design, emphasizing safety first, would have been the one to go up, considering the current site layout.
    No. He's going to tell the tenant who's leasing half the building to drop dead and leave it a stump because you don't like the design.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    lack of tack
    what?

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    what?
    LOL, I actually meant tact, not tack; my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadd View Post
    No. He's going to tell the tenant who's leasing half the building to drop dead and leave it a stump because you don't like the design.
    Yeah, Fox dropping out or dropping dead is our only salvation against watching this ghastly POS for the rest of our lives.

Wall Street Journal
    December 7, 2015

New World Trade Center Tower Could Get a Lift

Port Authority considers offering concessions toward construction of 2 World Trade Center

By ANDREW TANGEL

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is considering offering financial concessions toward construction of another office tower at the World Trade Center site in lower Manhattan.

The proposed concessions are intended to make way for construction of the building known as 2 World Trade Center, half of which would be occupied by 21st Century Fox Inc. and News Corp , according to a summary released by the authority on Monday.

News Corp is the parent company of Dow Jones & Co., publisher of The Wall Street Journal. News Corp and Fox were part of the same company until 2013. The companies’ current lease in Midtown Manhattan isn’t expected to expire until 2020.

Spokesmen for News Corp and 21st Century Fox declined to comment. The companies entered into a nonbinding letter of intent with the developer Larry Silverstein this year to occupy approximately 1.5 million square feet in the new tower.

Commissioners who oversee the Port Authority, which owns the World Trade Center site, are set to consider the measure on Thursday. In a statement, the agency said the project’s success “is contingent on some public-sector support.”

The tower is expected to generate at least $500 million in additional capital-spending capacity for the agency’s projects.

According to a summary included with the authority’s meeting agenda, a proposed reduction in rental payments would be valued at $43 million.

The effective cost of those concessions to the Port Authority would be $18 million after factoring in expected New York state tax credits. Mr. Silverstein’s company would make a $9 million payment to the Port Authority, reducing the cost to $9 million, according to the agency.

A spokesman for Mr. Silverstein declined to comment.

If the Port Authority approves concessions for 2 World Trade Center, it would mark a shift from the agency’s earlier plan for the site.

The earlier plan included a provision calling for “no public sector support” for the tower on top of earlier subsidies afforded to the site.

Concessions for the site’s redevelopment have been the subject of heated discussions at the authority.

In early 2014, the Port Authority was considering a $1.2 billion financing package for Mr. Silverstein’s 3 World Trade Center. But officials scrapped the proposal after objections by some on the Port Authority’s board. That tower went ahead without the revised subsidy plan.

—Eliot Brown contributed to this article.

Copyright ©2015 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

I love this tower and hope that the PA supports it tomorrow. DiBlasio played chicken with Jamie Dimon over incentives at the HY and lost. Chase stayed out and moved thousands of workers to JC and elsewhere.

Bloomberg
    December 10, 2015

Port Authority Approves Subsidies for 2 World Trade Project

By David M Levitt

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey approved subsidies to help expedite the construction of lower Manhattan’s 2 World Trade Center, where Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox Inc. and News Corp. companies have a tentative deal to move their headquarters from midtown.

Developer Silverstein Properties Inc., which leases the sites for 2 World Trade Center and two other towers from the Port Authority, would receive a rent break that amounts to $9 million over the life of the lease, Authority Director Patrick Foye said, just before the agency board unanimously approved the proposal.

The subsidies will help the tower generate $500 million to $600 million of revenue that will support authority transportation and other projects, Foye said. Silverstein would forgo paying a part of the rent only if the tower is built. Completing 2 World Trade would also raise the value of 1 World Trade Center, in which the authority holds a majority equity stake, and would help the agency eventually exit that investment, Foye said.

The revenue gained “in my mind represents an extraordinary opportunity for the Port Authority and the people of the region,” Foye said.

Janno Lieber, president of Silverstein’s trade center subsidiary, called the rent assistance “a modest reduction” in payments that would have been made by Fox and News Corp. The companies have yet to commit to the project.

‘Made Sense’

“This is a deal that always made sense for the Port Authority,” Lieber said in an e-mailed statement. The agreement “will generate 10,000 construction jobs and 12,000 to 15,000 permanent jobs, as well as allow us to finally put back all the office space that was destroyed by terrorists 14 years ago.”

The agency had previously maintained that 2 World Trade would be built entirely without public assistance. It took over 1 World Trade from Silverstein in 2006. The developer received tax-exempt government Liberty Bonds to aid in the construction of 4 World Trade Center, which opened in 2013.

Last year, New York approved as much as $1.8 billion of bonds to build 3 World Trade Center, which is now under construction. The authority balked at Silverstein’s request to guarantee payment of that debt.

The revenue gain consists of three parts, Foye said. They include payments due to the authority from Westfield Corp., its partner on the retail portion of the project, that are contingent upon completion of the tower. He also said the agency would receive $174 million from Silverstein for work done to prepare the site for construction, and increased ground lease payments should the Fox and News Corp. agreements be completed.

Higher Tolls

With tolls at the Port Authority’s interstate crossings having just gone up again, the ability to expedite 2 World Trade means the need for future increases will be reduced, Foye said.

“Our original assumption was we wouldn’t be able to build this until the early to middle 2020s,” he said at a press conference after the vote.

The authority operates the region’s bi-state tunnels and bridges, airports and shipping terminals, as well as the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Silverstein Properties has a non-binding letter of intent from 21st Century Fox and News Corp. to rent about 1.5 million square feet (139,000 square meters) in 2 World Trade Center.

In June, the developer unveiled a design by architect Bjarke Ingels for a 1,340-foot (408-meter) tower, which would make 2 World Trade Center the second-tallest of the four skyscrapers on the site. A deal with Fox and News Corp., parent company of the Wall Street Journal and New York Post newspapers, would further cement lower Manhattan as a center for major media companies, which already include Conde Nast next door at 1 World Trade Center, and Time Inc. at Brookfield Place.

Nathaniel Brown, a spokesman for Fox, and Daisy Dunlop of News Corp. declined to comment on Thursday.

Leases have “not been agreed to by Fox,” said Jeffrey Lynford, a Port Authority board member. “It’s not time to take a celebratory lap.”

Really surprised Londonlawyer likes this new design.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    Really surprised Londonlawyer likes this new design.
    Me too. LL and I are usually on par with each other in terms of tastes; his approval does dismay me as well. This form is reprehensible beyond reproach; it stands against everything that is classy architecture. A huge bulky mess of stacked boxes that will obstruct the view of other more elegant towers.

When I look at it all I see is no verticality and an abundance of disorder/imbalance that borders on disrespect to what happened at this site. There is a time an place for designs like this.... When you are commissioned a 1000+ footer you do not want to take away from its height features, which is EXACTLY what this tower does. It does not soar UP towards the sky, it clumsily stutter steps towards the side as if it want to collapse. <smh>

If built as is Bjarke Ingels will be vilified for actually conjuring this vile POS; and rightfully so!

It's gorgeous. I love the setbacks on the east fAcade and the cantilevers on the north. This design is unique. We're getting many amazing supertall office towers: 1 Vanderbilt, 10 HY, 30 HY, Gurasole, 1 and 2 WTC, and who knows what will rise at 50 HY, Tishman, etc.

sorry, but NOTHING unique about this "design"

except that it is even less interesting than this one,
    and there is infinitely more of it.
    Last edited by scumonkey; December 19th, 2015 at 06:37 PM.

this is unique...

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    sorry, but NOTHING unique about this "design"

except that it is even less interesting than this one,
    and there is infinitely more of it.
    I think that the New Museum building is great. I prefer 2 WTC though.

A building with a series of cantilevers (but not setbacks) will rise in Chicago, and everyone there thinks it's great. I think it's nothing special. The combination of parallel setbacks and cantilevers here look amazing. Among other things, it gives the building a jagged appearance from the west. Also, I like how it gets thicker at the top, like 45 E 22nd.

I'd be disappointed if something like BIG's Frankfurt tower were rising here or the two tall towers planned for London (No. 1 Undershaft or 22 Bishopsgate). They all suck.