Page 26 of 116 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Thread: 200 Greenwich Street - Proposed WTC Tower #2 - by Norman Foster

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post

... the Tower in the rendering looks like it has only two dimensions, if you look the base on the far side is not represented, making it look like one very tall wall.
    Do you mean the wall / facade that runs along West St.?

It does appear to be running at an odd angle, given that the footprint of 1 WTC is a square (aside from the cut-off corners).

But if you look throughout that [very stunning rendering] you'll see that many of the perspectives are a little off -- the two "footprints" of the Memorial Pools, for example.

The attention in this particular rendering seems to have been on the 3 new towers.

The detail on the Sprire at 1 WTC looks cool, though.

In that rendering, Cortlandt Street appears to be pedestrian-only.

Quote Originally Posted by Citytect View Post
    In that rendering, Cortlandt Street appears to be pedestrian-only.
    I noticed that. A compromise between totally recreating the street and giving it over to an enclosed shopping galleria perhaps?

Lofter, not only is the side of the building running at an odd angle, the top of the building tapers into a rectangle, not the square it should be. But, I must agree with you that these renderings are not about the Freedom Tower.

Nice catch on the pools too. Did not even notice that.

i think the towers bases will be fine. freedom towers base is more vulnerable because it is so close to west st which is more than twice as wide as any of the streets by these new towers so in theory in the old freedom tower a truck could fly straight down west st and smash straight into the lobby but that couldnt really happen on the other side of the site, thats what i think anyway.

Today, one of the senior engineers criticized the design of Tower 2 and predicted that there will be severe changes to its roof. The reason being that it lacked the required placement of window washing equipment.

He could be senile or he could be speaking from experience. I think he's senile.
    Last edited by Vengineer; September 9th, 2006 at 04:12 AM.

I like the Crystal Gotham look of its clustered diamond-shaped towers.

I suppose the purpose of the (apparently arbitrary) horizontal marks is to alleviate the tower's imposing mass by dividing it, but the emphasis should be on verticality and their heavy visual effect is to make the building seem composed of stacked sections.

And it's a somber beast at street level, in stark contrast with the other two and the transit hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    it's a somber beast at street level, in stark contrast with the other two and the transit hub.
    Previously I was thinking the base needed more work. But because its basically located between the Calatrava building and what will likely be Gehry's performing arts center (the city has taken over planning), I think its better that way. Things could get too clustered. But the top of the tower is designed in such a way that it complements Calatrava's building, like the butterfly to Calatrava's bird. The two seem to go together.

Quote Originally Posted by Vengineer View Post
    Today, one of the senior engineers criticized the design of Tower 2 and predicted that there will be severe changes to its roof. The reason being that it lacked the required placement of window washing equipment.
    I think he should take his ass to the Citicorp Building and start seeking advice.

I can't wait for all of those building to be finally built.

I liked this building from the moment I saw it despite a few questionable elements. I'm wondering, though, does this building showcase Foster's extraordinary talent? At the moment, I'd say 'no'. It doesn't seem to rise to the high standards I think he's talented enough to achieve. The building is good, but not as good as most of his other work. Maybe some design tweaking will improve it's appearance. I know the architects were pressed for time (even though Foster had more time than Rogers and Maki), so perhaps Foster's design will evolve further in the coming months (he also has more time than the other two architects before construction is scheduled to begin).

Re: Cortlandt Street

I'd be really pleased if it becomes a pedestrian-only unenclosed thoroughfare. I'm sure many disagree with me, but I think its the best configuration for the street.

Screencaps of amazing flyover video of the site presented in the official press conference. It can be found at:

http://video.amny.com/global/video/p...488&at1=News+%

I don't really care for this Foster tower, and I don't care for it's doppleganger in Chicago either. The diamond shapes just look gimmicky to me and it distracts from the site's integrity as a whole. And the asymetry doesn't work defer to the FT.

These screen caps make the Foster tower too to close to the FT, as though it's crowding it and they're fighting for the spotlight (and not nicely sharing it, like the Twins did).

There may be a tremendous handicap to creating harmony at the site in that the memorial is such a big large open hole.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Citytect View Post
    I liked this building from the moment I saw it despite a few questionable elements. I'm wondering, though, does this building showcase Foster's extraordinary talent? At the moment, I'd say 'no'. It doesn't seem to rise to the high standards I think he's talented enough to achieve.
    What else would you like to see? I think the composition of the building is unique in and of itself, but when you take into account the irregular shape of the plot, it's even more impressive. The icing is the way the diamonds somehow grow out of the four distint parts; there is, in my opinion, something very organic about the design. Certainly, not many architects are capable of coming up with a design like that, and I can only imagine how beautifully the interiors will be done.

This building somehow balances the demands of the master plan with an innovative design that, in the end, appears strikingly conservative and appropriate for the context. If that isn't the mark of a great architect, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarknt67 View Post
    I don't really care for this Foster tower, and I don't care for it's doppleganger in Chicago either. The diamond shapes just look gimmicky to me and it distracts from the site's integrity as a whole. And the asymetry doesn't work defer to the FT.

These screen caps make the Foster tower too to close to the FT, as though it's crowding it and they're fighting for the spotlight (and not nicely sharing it, like the Twins did).

There may be a tremendous handicap to creating harmony at the site in that the memorial is such a big large open hole.
    Oh yes it DOES defer to FT, and Vengineer's photos above revealed it to me for the first time! Foster's triangular top points to the memorial, but it also mirrors the downward 'V' of FT as well, as showed in the illumination. I think it is fabulous.

And I just saw upon scrolling up again how Tower 3's external bracing forms a diamond pattern mimicking the top of Foster's tower. This is really pretty sublime. You have a half diamond pattern on the side of FT, 4 diamonds atop two, and numerous diamond outlines down the sides of Tower 3.
    Last edited by TallGuy; September 9th, 2006 at 06:01 PM. Reason: additional point