Page 61 of 116 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Thread: 200 Greenwich Street - Proposed WTC Tower #2 - by Norman Foster

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    ^ Was money received in insurance for the WTC earmarked to be spent solely at the WTC site? If not, some of it could have gone toward Silver Towers on 42nd st.

With regards to the cost of WTC 2, one of these articles said Slvrstn Properties needs $625m in financing from the frozen credit markets to build it, but no mention of what the total cost is.
    Good question. I'm of the opinion that the Liberty Bonds weren't allocated the way they should have been (GS), so I wouldn't be surprised if some were used in Midtown. Weren't they used for Bank of America, as well?

I know Silverstein used some for Tower 7 and forfeited some to the PA for Tower 1.

when should actual construction start of this hopefully by 2010

Quote Originally Posted by HoveringCheesecake View Post
    Not sure about the chiller plant. There was an article a few months ago about Silverstein's towers needing their own systems so that the PA's was more "green."

The biggest problem is the Transportation Hub. Maybe I'll get flogged here for saying this, but if it comes down to the hub and the towers, then give me the towers.
    Give me the Transportation hub, with security issues it's likely that 99.9% of the residents of the area (including myself) will never even set one foot in towers 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 etc.. The Calatrava hub on the other hand will be the only true public place at the World Trade Center, it will also be a "Grand" entrance point for travelers to NYC when the PATH train is extended to Newark Airport and the eventually Lower Manhattan-JFK rail link.

Banned Member

^ Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by STT757 View Post
    Give me the Transportation hub, with security issues it's likely that 99.9% of the residents of the area (including myself) will never even set one foot in towers 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 etc.. The Calatrava hub on the other hand will be the only true public place at the World Trade Center, it will also be a "Grand" entrance point for travelers to NYC when the PATH train is extended to Newark Airport and the eventually Lower Manhattan-JFK rail link.
    I doubt that a rail link ever will be built. NY is broke.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STT757 View Post
    That is not competely correct. All of the towers to be built will have retail on the lower floors, so the public (including you) will have a chance to set foot in them.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    That is not competely correct. All of the towers to be built will have retail on the lower floors, so the public (including you) will have a chance to set foot in them.
    Being able to buy a Starbucks coffee in the lobby of an office building is not the same as standing underneath the arches of the Calavatrava station with the sun beaming down, those lobbies retail or not are not public spaces.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

You said that people would never "set one foot" in them, and I've pointed out that you were wrong.

These are office buildings, they were never meant to be "public spaces." Most office buildings or any other buildings now have security, which is a good thing.

Most of the site is dedicated to being public space already anyway. How much more public space do you need?

Do you see an urgent need for the public to hang around inside the lobbies of the office towers?

Is that so desperately needed by the public? What purpose will that serve?

The towers to the east of the Memorial site along Greenwich have been designed with public areas in the base(s), partly as viewing areas over the Memorial and also with areas meant for public access (retail, food, etc.). In NYC when public money is used for buildings then public access to parts of the building is included (the new B of A tower, NY Times Tower, etc.). Of course portions of the lower floors in the WTC towers, as in any new office building, will be off limits to those without a specific need for access.

Silverstein Searches His Soul, Finds No Room for Tower 2

February 19, 2010, by Sara

World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein has had to sit down and face the music (hopefully his own) this month after the Port Authority denied his pleas for financing for two WTC office towers. And, brace yourselves, here's one possible result of Larry's soul-searching: we might be saying buh-bye to WTC Tower 2. That's the "glazed crystalline form and diamond-shaped summit" designed by Lord Norman Foster to be taller than the Empire State Building. Also the one planned WTC tower that people seemed to like. The Daily News reports that Silverstein has offered to put $250 million into his two remaining buildings and dump Tower 2 to cut costs. The Port Authority has already labeled the plan a "non-starter," but here are some looks at Tower 2's renderings, just in case they're our last.

A view of that diamond-shaped summit:

The full tower:

A rendered skyline view from across the Hudson:

Developer Larry Silverstein nixes plans for 79-story Tower 2 at Ground Zero [NYDN]
    WTC Final Designs: Tower 2's 'Glazed Crystalline Form' [Curbed]

http://curbed.com/archives/2010/02/1...wer_2.php#more

The Daily News is completely unable to write a news article.

Nothing is "nixed"; if something planned isn't currently financed, then it's "currently unbuilt" or what-have-you.

Silverstein currently has no money for all three, but apparently he can afford two. Before, it was one.

That doesn't mean the prospects for the third are any more dim than yesterday, it just means that Silverstein can't afford it without PA intervention (which we already knew).

The "news" about Tower 2 is non-news. The interesting news in the article is about Tower 3, since we were under the impression that Silverstein could currently only afford Tower 4, and needed PA assistance for 2 and 3. Now he is saying he can do T3 on his own.

T2 will be built by some entity, at some point.

Isn't he obligated to build these buildings? This is just posturing on his part, especially taking into account that 2WTC is probably the most liked and most beautiful of all of the towers. It anything must be dumped (and I'm not saying anything should), it should have been 4WTC. The PA has called the plan unacceptable, and this is just part of the very ugly dance that the parties are airing in public.

The arbitration proceeding isn't completely over. It's my understanding that, if the parties don't come to a decision over timing, the panel will enforce one, and I doubt the panel would agree to cut such a signature piece.

Quote Originally Posted by James Kovata View Post
    Isn't he obligated to build these buildings?
    Silverstein was obligated to complete all the towers by 2014 or forfeit the right to build, but that deadline was voided by the arbitration panel. It's likely that a new date will be determined at the next arbitration round, less than a month away.

It's my understanding that, if the parties don't come to a decision over timing, the panel will enforce one, and I doubt the panel would agree to cut such a signature piece.
    I doubt the panel will make any decisions based on aesthetics or popularity. The argument is strictly about money.

The tower 2 site is no different than Silverstein's 99 Church site. Stalled because of lack of demand and financing.

Silverschmuck is a greedy pig. The putz should put up a significant amount of his own money if he's really committed to these projects.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Question

Did he use WTC $ to build Silver Towers?