Page 7 of 116 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: 200 Greenwich Street - Proposed WTC Tower #2 - by Norman Foster

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    If tower 2 does not include a hotel, they should put the hotel east of the FT, the site of the performing arts center, which in turn, can be moved to the Deutsche Bank site.
    Assuming all goes according to plan (an increasingly dubious assumption), the current site of the PAC will be encircled by three buildings -- the FT, 7WTC and 200 Greenwich. If you stuck a hotel there, I think the hotel views (except southward) would be crappy, and would also block the views of the office dwellers. A low-rise cultural building seems like a good fit, one of the few smart things Libeskind did.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    Perhaps not by people who worship at the altar of contextualism, but I wouldn't mind a few bubbly, bad-ass, landed from space, NIMBY-infuriating, envelope-pushing, jaw dropping, alien-mothership looking buildings here and there.
    There's no contextualism here. The context is a giant hole in the ground.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

TRADING PLACES AT 'TWO'
    GROUND ZERO TOWER DESIGN JUST RIGHT FOR WALL ST. FIRMS

Lois Weiss (NY Post)

April 19, 2006 -- PLANS for one of the key buildings at Ground Zero are starting to jell. The 65-story tower, referred to as "building two," will have a 200 Greenwich Street address and is being designed by Lord Norman Foster.

Foster designed Hearst's "Crystal Cathedral" and is planning two towers for RFR Holdings - one at 610 Lexington and 53rd St. by the Seagram Building, and the other on the old Sotheby's building at 77th and Madison. You can be sure all the curtain walls will be creative and unique.

We already know the base of "two" will include 130,000 feet of street and underground retail connecting directly to Santiago Calatrava's PATH station just across the new Fulton St.

Responding to downtown market needs from the financial services sector, however, we've now learned that developer Larry Silverstein has Foster including "up to" five floors specifically designed for trading. These floors will be sandwiched between the retail and regular office space above, and will obviously rent for a premium.

"There's a trading floor shortage," advised one prominent broker who has seen the plans.

There is, however, a design impact dating back to the original and otherwise now totally altered Daniel Libeskind Master Plan. The "Wedge of Light" has torn a triangle from the side of the building.

Sure, Silverstein has gained back any lost rentable footage going upwards to capture all of the allowed 2.4 million square feet, but it does mean smaller floors for the retail and perhaps trading levels.

The regular office floors will work fine and run from 38,000 feet at the base to 35,000 feet at the top of the tower.

The major "Wedge" impact is on the retail, which under normal circumstances would be parallel to the curb, but will be set much further back to accommodate the basically non-existent "Wedge of Light."

Sources say Silverstein and Foster have resigned themselves to dealing with the awkward geometry. A spokesperson for Silverstein declined comment. "You are distorting the shape and the functionality based on politics," said the downtown broker. "Generations to come will ask, 'Why is this wall like this?" Indeed.

http://www.nypost.com/realestate/comm/67218.htm

There's no contextualism here. The context is a giant hole in the ground.

Duh, I wasn't only talking about the WTC site. The greater context is New York City itself, where too many argue that there is a certain New York Style that should be adhered too. Hence, the mothership remark that I responded to.
    Mothership, as in something that looks like it landed from out of space in a place it doesn't "belong". Get it? Geez Louise.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby / NY POST
    "You are distorting the shape and the functionality based on politics," said the downtown broker.
    As opposed to "distorting" it based solely on cash return.

No wonder we get all these boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    TRADING PLACES AT 'TWO'
    GROUND ZERO TOWER DESIGN JUST RIGHT FOR WALL ST. FIRMS

Lois Weiss (NY Post)

April 19, 2006 -- ... "Generations to come will ask, 'Why is this wall like this?"

That, at least, is a rational, commercially-driven "distortion", which is at least consistent with the fact that this city is driven by finance and commerce.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    As opposed to "distorting" it based solely on cash return.

No wonder we get all these boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by vc10
    ... the fact that this city is driven by finance and commerce.
    Perhaps, but luckily not completely controlled by those forces.

"Generations to come will ask, 'Why is this wall like this?"

Not if it is done well.

Look at the Federal Reserve Bank on Liberty St. with it's great bend of a wall -- and the buildings along Bowling Green that curve with Broadway.

Isn't this building supposed to exceed 1,000 feet? This may turn out to be the most iconic building at the site. Are there any height limits? 1,200 feet would be nice.

^I believe the master plan calls for top height at 1260 feet although it certainly doesn't need to go that high.

I wonder how much effort Foster will put into making it complimentary/contextual with the already designed Freedom Tower

Can the master plan be revised to make these buildings taller? I mean, Silverstein wants to lease 10m sf of office space, and with this deal he isn't getting that. What will be his connection to the FT, who will collect the rent, and if he is diassociated with it then could the design be revised? Not that it will happen, I'm just wondering what could happen.

i always liked the shape of the libeskind proposal for this tower. i know it was only conceptual, but it was a nice shape and saluted ground zero very well.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Isn't this building supposed to exceed 1,000 feet? This may turn out to be the most iconic building at the site. Are there any height limits? 1,200 feet would be nice.

#1. This building will certainly not top Freedom Tower

#2. The Chances of Freedom Tower actually getting built are grim so I have no clue where they're going with tower 2. Any thoughts?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

No need to worry, PHLguy.
    All the main buildings i.e. FT, #2, #3 and #4 (except for maybe #5) will eventually get built.
    The wrangling right now is over who takes charge over which building and finances.

Page 7 of 116 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast