Thread: One Dinner in Manhattan

Default One Dinner in Manhattan

Sorry I've been posting so many questions, but I just want to make sure I don't screw this trip up.

As I mentioned in another post, I'll be in NYC 2 days, 1 night, my birthday. I've been looking high and low for the best restaurant for my husband and son and I to eat dinner on my birthday. At first I wanted to eat at Tavern On The Green, but then realized how expensive it would be. Probably $300 for the 3 of us. I'd like to try to not pay more than $150 total. (Sorry, but I'm saving all my money for shopping on 5th Avenue - LOL) But I'd like to eat somewhere really good, and preferably somewhere famous. Right now, I'm looking at the Rock Center Cafe. I love the idea of the view of the skating rink and everything. What do you think of this restaurant? What other restaurant would you recommend? What about the Oyster Bar at Grand Central?

This is going to be our one big meal in NYC. Everything else is gonna be hot dogs and hamburgers.

I appreciate all your advice! Just don't suggest anything too ethnic please! American, seafood, Italian restaurants are all good.

And preferably in the area of our hotel, the Grand Hyatt.

Thanks again, guys!

Forum Veteran

I always direct people to chowhound, a message board that's all foodie-oriented.

The Oyster Bar is great, Rock Center Cafe is really nothing.

You can easily get out of Tavern On The Green for less than $300, unless you plan on a big bar tab. I think the prix fixe menu runs until 7:00, and that should set you back less than $50 per person (not including tip). They probably have a web site with the menus. How old is your son? Will he eat a full meal?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowbridge
    You can easily get out of Tavern On The Green for less than $300, unless you plan on a big bar tab. I think the prix fixe menu runs until 7:00, and that should set you back less than $50 per person (not including tip). They probably have a web site with the menus. How old is your son? Will he eat a full meal?
    At Tavern, the prix fixe dinner is 65 x 2 = 130 and the kids meal would be about 22 (my son is 10). so, that's 152 + a bottle of champagne, figure 50-70, that's 222, plus tip, about 40= 262

yikes.

so.....

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    The Oyster Bar is great, Rock Center Cafe is really nothing.
    But I would enjoy the view.

I also looked into The View at the Marriott at Times Square, but kinda pricey....

What about the buffet at The View at the Marriott? Does the buffet section rotate too? Does anyone know?

This would be a less than 150 dinner, and my son would totally get a kick out of the revolving floor, and it's still a semi-fancy joint with a great view!Oh, kids are probably not recommended in the lounge, huh?

I'm REALLY leaning towards this restaurant - any advice?
    Last edited by ct30girl; December 17th, 2005 at 02:01 AM.

I would avoid pretty much any buffet in the city. You can find much better food for a lower price. I know I've mentioned it 5,327 times before, but I can't figure out why people always seem to come back to the buffet.

If you want to see the view at the Rock Center Cafe, you should have a drink or appetizer there. You get the same view, yet you don't have to suffer the below-mediocre food. You might want to check out Morrell Wine Bar, for that matter. It has a much better drink selection and arguably better views.

Tell us: what are your primary concerns in a restaurant? It sounds like you might get more bang for the buck by leaving the area. Midtown is known for being both mediocre and expensive, foodwise and otherwise.

Default Dinner

Does it have to be dinner? Why not a fabulous lunch with drinks in the evening? Same great food, same great restaurant, smaller price.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    I would avoid pretty much any buffet in the city. You can find much better food for a lower price. I know I've mentioned it 5,327 times before, but I can't figure out why people always seem to come back to the buffet.
    I think the brunch buffet at Jackson Diner is fun, but the chaos is part of the attraction... Aside from indian food, which is meant to sit around, I agree with you.

I agree with the Jackson Diner brunch, but I think that would fall into the "too ethnic" category in this case.

I just did a search of "NYC buffets" on Google to check out some options for CTGirl and found one of my Wired New York posts on the subject was the 11th result. I guess that gives you some idea of how popular they are.