Thread: Need help - New Haven & Manhattan

Default Need help - New Haven & Manhattan

Hello everybody,

I will begin working at New York Presbytarian-Cornell in Manhattan beginning in July. My wife will begin working in New Haven, CT. Can anyone advise us on the best place to live so that we can commute to our respective jobs?

I've heard Stamford, CT is a good place. What would the commute be like? Many have expressed that I would be best off taking Metro-north from Stamford to Grand Central. However, b/c New York Presbytarian is on 68th and York Ave., I did not think this was the best option as there are not buses or trains that go there easily. It would require 2 more transfers in addition to the long train ride.

I am considering doing some type of carpool or vanpool. Do you guys know anyone who does this? How much time does it take to get from Stamford to Upper East Side by car on an average traffic day?

I appreciate any insight or help anybody can offer.

Thank you.

Forum Veteran

I did a New Haven to Grand Central commute for a couple long months, and I can tell you it's no good. I think you're right that Stamford to the UES would be a tough commute, so maybe you should consider a primary residence in New Haven and a room in Manhattan? Of all the people I know who split time betwen the two, that's the most successful strategy. New Haven can be very cheap (away from downtown) so it can be affordable too. I knew people who lived on the sound in East Haven for what I paid to live on High street.

I think Stamford is overpriced for what you get, and if you lived there, you both would have hour+ commutes.

thanks ryan,

We may have to get a room in Manhattan as a last resort.

Any thoughts on driving in from CT. How is the traffic in the mornings into Manhattan? Would driving door to door from Stamford to UES be faster on average than the train and two subsequent transfers?

I commute from GCT to Fairfield a couple of times a week, but I have just a walk on either side. Depending on how adventurous you are, how about a folding bike? GCT to 68th is a long walk but an easy bike ride. As to where to live, Stamford is not the only place between the two - you could really choose anywhere in between on the Metro North line.

As for the drive, I have only done it occasionally on the reverse commute. My sense from co-workers who drive more often is that you just don't know - it could be an hour, but it could also be an hour and a half, or more.

I would also consider a place in Manhattan. If both of you face long commutes on a daily basis, there might not be much life left...

Good luck

Forum Veteran

I had the poor judgement to take a job where I commuted by car from New Haven to Wilton (just north of Westport). With no traffic it was 25 minutes. With traffic it ranged from an hour to 3 hours (top end was the about once a month for weather - even rain locks up traffic that dense). I had a coworker who commuted from queens to Wilton, which she said was an hour and 20 minutes on a good day.

Connecticut has some of the worst traffic in the country (but, it also has some damned strong historic preservation, which is why it's still as quaint as it is). It's a terrible position to be in, so much luck to you both.

I admit I have a problem

A few living-in-NYC options, depending on your money and car situations:

- You could live in East Midtown; you walk to work, and your wife reverse-commutes by Metro-North.

- You could live on the Upper East Side; you walk to work, and your wife reverse-commutes by car.

- You could live in the Bronx; depending on the neighborhood, you subway or bus to work, and your wife reverse-commutes by car or Metro-North.

thanks guys for your input