Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: West 57th Street by Hilton Club - 104 West 57th Street - by HLW International

Angry A scheme at the Automat...

This is a total shame if they are jackhammering the Automat's facade. The stories I've heard regarding illegal work and numerous stunts that are pulled is extremely annoying!!! I can speculate that this is a tactic of the developers, so Mr. Tierney & the LPC can definitely claim it can't be landmarked. However, I have no confirmation on the extent of work being done. Below is a summary of the 2 newly issued work permits on the DOB site. Notice how it says "Emergency conditions...Loose terra cotta"

NYC Department of BuildingsDocument Overview Premises:102 WEST 57 STREET MANHATTAN BIN: ....Block: 1009 Lot: 37Job No.:104355127Num. of Documents: 1Job Type: A3 - ALTERATION TYPE 3DOC NOWORK TYPE(S) / STATUS / JOB DESCRIPTIONErect 96' 2 l/2" of Temporary Heavy Duty Sidewalk Shed 300 psf in conj. with Appl.# 104324161. EMERGENCY CONDITIONS LOOSE TERRA COTTA Shed shall comply with LL 33/91. No change in use,egress or occupancy under this application. Status: R - PERMIT ISSUED - ENTIRE JOB/WORKStatus Date: 02/17/2006Directive 14: YApplicant Name: Shapiro LawrencePre-Filing Date: 02/15/2006TYPESTATUS DATESTATUS EQ - CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT02/17/2006R: PERMIT ISSUED - ENTIRE JOB/WORK

Checking DOB records for this building:

No Application or Permit for Demolition is on file.

However, an Application was filed for "Exterior Renovations" ( http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...6BD08866A7430E ):
    Date Filed: 01/06/2006
    Last Action: PERMIT-ENTIRE 02/03/2006
    (R)Fees:STANDARD
    Estimated Total Cost:$110,000.00

The search also shows that a Complaint was filed on 2.15.06 for "AFTER HOUR CONSTRUCTION" (complaint unresolved / still open: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Ov...6BD08866A7430E )
    Overview for Complaint #: 1160104 = ACTIVE
    Complaint at: 104 WEST 57 STREET
    Borough: MANHATTAN ZIP: 10019

Re: CALLER STATES AFTER HOUR CONSTRUCTION IS BEING DONE AT SHELL Y'S RESTAURANT/CALLER IS NOT CERTAIN IF THEY HAVE A VARIANCE / WORK STARTED AT AROUND 9PM

Category Code: 04 AFTER HOURS WORK - ILLEGAL
    Assigned To: EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM

Angry The cherishable Automat...A Ruse?!?

Hi Kerry!

Thank you for your support in regard to the Automat at 104 W 57th St. The petition now has 370+ signatures.

A permit that was issued a few days back on the DOB site states "loose terra cotta, emergency conditions." I have a feeling that's a ruse! Since I live in Queens & I'm not in the city too often, I would appreciate it very much if you can keep me up to date regarding any recent developments.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeForestHiller
    Hi Kerry!

Thank you for your support in regard to the Automat at 104 W 57th St. The petition now has 370+ signatures.

A permit that was issued a few days back on the DOB site states "loose terra cotta, emergency conditions." I have a feeling that's a ruse! Since I live in Queens & I'm not in the city too often, I would appreciate it very much if you can keep me up to date regarding any recent developments.
    NativeForestHiller,

Can you organize a petition for the townhouses on 56th?

The building looks nice but not historical in my opinion. So landmark status is a stretch in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by cyppok
    The building looks nice but not historical in my opinion. So landmark status is a stretch in my mind.
    That is your opinion, which I completely - if respectfully - disagree with.

First, I love the Art Moderne details (or are they Art Deco).

Second, historically this is last (or next to last) of the famed Automats.
    Just ask anyone over 55 about the Automat and they will smile - If they are not important and historic, what is?

The fat lady has sung. The junk store in the nice little building just west of Shelly's has a sign stating that they've lost their lease. I read that the owner of Shelly's owns that too. Therefore, the rape of more great NY buildings is imminent. I'm really naseous that these two nice buildings are being detroyed and yet the crap white brick building just to the east and the HORRIBLE Director's Guild to the west sit unmolested.

Default "Everything Must Go"

Hey - I live in that "crap" white building to the east. It might not have any character but it happens to be a nice place to live. I wouldn't look too deeply in to the "Lost our Lease - Everything Must Go" sign. It's been there for the 5 years that I've lived here. About 2 years ago a fire significantly damaged that store and we joked that everything had finally gone but a few months later they fixed the store, moved all the crap back in and put those stupid signs back up.

To date on Shelly's the "facade work" has slowed considerably. They seem to have removed most of the black piping that I think the article in the NY Times mentioned was not part of the original details and have filled it in with more terra cotta. There has not been any jackhammering in awhile.

Since I see the site from my window I can place updates here fairly regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by kerrydyr
    Hey - I live in that "crap" white building to the east. It might not have any character but it happens to be a nice place to live. I wouldn't look too deeply in to the "Lost our Lease - Everything Must Go" sign. It's been there for the 5 years that I've lived here. About 2 years ago a fire significantly damaged that store and we joked that everything had finally gone but a few months later they fixed the store, moved all the crap back in and put those stupid signs back up.

To date on Shelly's the "facade work" has slowed considerably. They seem to have removed most of the black piping that I think the article in the NY Times mentioned was not part of the original details and have filled it in with more terra cotta. There has not been any jackhammering in awhile.

Since I see the site from my window I can place updates here fairly regularly.
    Your building is in a great location. I used to live nearby in the Trump Parc. Nonetheless, the white brick building should be demolished. I assume that it's a co-op. Is that true?

Default Kerrydr

Hi Kerry.....

Since your building will be the most affected by the demolition of the Automat, what is the buzz in the building?

Why not help organize a SAVE the AUTOMAT group there?

A large portion of this building is made up of older folks followed by people who bought their places when the building went co-op and don't live here full time. It's not really a cohesive place on the tenant front. I honestly don't think that most folks in here have any idea what is going on next door since there has been no formal communication by building management about it and only one side (and not the largest one) is affected to date. I don't think even our building's management has the full story. If you have suggestions of what we could/should be doing, let me know.

Exclamation AUTOMAT UPDATES (in regard to 100 W 57th St)

Hi Kerry! Thank you for your reply. I spoke with your property manager, & he told me that he is organizing an effort. Please consult with him. I recommended printing out & drafting up a similar letter to all building tenants. As many people as possible should sign it in regard to the Automat's historical status primarily, & then they should follow through with letters & phone calls to the Landmarks Preservation Commission. All contact info is on the Automat petitiononline site.

When you say that part of the facade has been filled in with additional terra cotta, please expand upon what is meant by "black piping." Was it the original gold trim on the upper portion of the facade, that was painted black when Shelly's took over? If this was removed, it would be a shame! Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!

P.S. I found out that on last Tues, the Automat on Broadway & 104th St was calendared, so its exterior is protected until the results of a landmarks hearing are finalized. Everyone should request the same for 104 W 57th St ASAP!!!

It doesn't look good. What a shame.

Under the scaffolding

Today they started jackhammering away at the facade again. The weird thing is, it appeared to me that they spent a week or two repairing the terra cotta and today they started demolishing it all including what they had just repaired. At the top, the building is now down to nothing but the bricks. All of the beige parts of the exterior have been removed. There will be nothing left of it by the LPC gets around to taking a look. Very sad.

This is terrible. Last time I had friends in town, we walked by that building and all remarked how unique it was. Now a few weeks later it is being destroyed.
    UGGHHH!!!!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast