Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: West 57th Street by Hilton Club - 104 West 57th Street - by HLW International

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Must've teamed up with the folks over at 1095 Sixth to buy their glass together in bulk (in order to get a discount).

Jim in Times Square

Cement wall looking quite ugly at the moment. Lets hope they finish that off with something. At least give us a coat of paint.

It's turned out to be better than what we were lead to think by those horrible renderings.

In person, the glass is actually quite nice. Nevertheless, the building will suck if, as is likely, the concrete sides are not finished.

P.S.: The glass on this tower is very similar to what was added to 100 Park when it was reclad.

youre totally right. When are these developers going to realize that glass completely loses its great effects when its backed up to unfinished concrete. Seems greed has officially overshadowed building a product these guys can truly be proud of for quite some time now. Cement walls go up and crains come down.

That is it? They are not at least going to paint that blank wall. What an ugly outcome.

They've pretty much finished this Hyatt time-share thing at 104 West 57th ...

A few doors to the west at 120 West 57 is where something new is planned
    (someone posted about it somehere the other day, but I can't find it to link here ).

The new one will replace the 12-story Edwin B. Elson Building (Arch: Harry B. Mulliken, 1902) ...

104 W 57 / 120 W 57

Thanks for all the pics.

Here's the thread for that planned hotel.
    http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=280397

Time to stick my head in the oven

no WAY!! I can't believe they are going to tear down that beauty! I was just admiring it the other day. This is infuriating. I feel so powerless in the face of such destruction.
    So even with this crap economy, all the best stuff is being destroyed...I hate this city.
    Don't tell me to move because I'm stuck here. I never thought I'd say this. New York City sucks.

In all seriousness, what are the chances of the city passing an ordinance that automatically landmarks anything past a certain age (I'd say pre-WWII, since that makes the most sense from an architectural and historical point of view)? Do other cities (London, e.g. -- Paris is a little too rarefied to serve as an example) have any such blanket landmarking regulations?

It's really, really depressing and appalling that in this day and age some skeezy developer can raze the very things that give this city its worth in favor of some cheap Kaufman/Kondylis/SOM/Gwathmey box (they're really all the same, just different pay grades).

I'd really like to help kick off any sort of movement or fight to get that regulation into the public discourse, if nothing else. Instead, we have disparate preservation and community groups at cross purposes to one another, with various agendas and -- not surprisingly -- ineffectual. Unite everyone and there may be some hope of actually getting something done.

You'd think they could just convert the building to a hotel. Look how nice the Dream Hotel turned out. I guess every inch of space has to be built out in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    .... New York City sucks.

I agree. If the city lets these rapacious, philistine, a_holes raze this gem, then it proves that NY sucks. There is so much feces on 57th Street where hotels can be built, including many empty lots.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast