Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Shopping in New York

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster:

I am starting an internship in NYC in a week. Being cheap, I would love to be able to grab 6-10 dress shirts for around ~10 bucks as some people earlier in the thread mentioned (the wholesale overstocks).

I am wondering: Do those types of deals still exist? If so, where should I go to purchase them?

I am not overly worried about quality as long as its professional and presentable.

Thanks a lot.

9pm
    but some such as times square are open until 11pm if not 24 hours (mostly food however)

there is steps near bryant park
    also check out nassau street by fulton street, they have overstocks at dejenero (????)
    and don't need any student card or id

it's ok if you know where to go, macys at 34 is an exception when they have thier sales, but lines are long
    stay away from the tourist traps like soho, midtown and village
    go to nassau street by fulton street
    there's marshall's (in brooklyn- 86th street) , tj max (at chelsea)

Quote Originally Posted by MumElise View Post
    To be honest when i came to New York i couldn't wait to go shopping the first time - but when i went shopping i figured that that the prices are crazy high.
    I prefer shopping in big outlets like in Baltimore

additional:
    86th street (by D train) : marshall's, gap and many boutique shops
    86th street- bay ridge (R train): century 21(yes the brooklyn one and not as crowded as the manhattan one!!!!!) , gap, benetton, and many boutiques

Quote Originally Posted by ForestHillsGardens View Post
    @User: yyy
    Here is some of the malls in and around the 4 main boroughs, I included some directions for your convienience:

For Manhattan's affordable shopping:

-Manhattan Mall (stated, typical mall hours): (N)(R)(Q)(W)(B)(D)(F)(V) to 34th St. Hearld Square. - Walk south on 34th St. to between 33rd and 32nd Sts., the mall is on your right.
    -South Street Seaport/Peir Mall (Closing time is around 6-9, arrive early): (2)(3)(4)(5)(J)(M)(Z) to Fulton St., (A)(C) to Broadway-Nassau, (E) to World Trade Center or (R)(W) to Cortlandt (2009 UpTown Service ONLY) - Walk straight east on Fulton Street., the mall is located across the cobblestone walk by the old-fashioned ships.

For Queens affordable shopping:

-Queens Center Mall/Queens Place (typical mall hours): (V)(G)(R) to Woodhaven Blvd. (exit at North Side of station), it is easy to see the mall. Queens Place is down the Queens Blvd. in the round building (Target & Daffy's is in there).
    -Rego Park Mall/Rego Center (typical mall hours): (V)(G)(R) to 63rd Drive., (exit at North Side of station), it is easy to spot the mall because it has major retailers labeled on it. Rego Center is down Junction Blvd.
    *Both of these 4 malls are loacted walking distace to each other, all you have to do is cross the highway (I-495) using the underpass on Queens Blvd.*

For Brooklyn affordable shopping:

-Atlantic Mall/Terminal (typical mall hours): (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(Q) to Atlantic Ave, (D)(M)(N)(R) to Pacific St, walk towards the LIRR Terminal, the station should have directions to direct you to the Mall. but the Mall is above the LIRR Terminal for clarification purposes.
    -Kings Center (un-accessble by Subway, only bus, typical mall hours): (Q) to Ave. M and transfer to B9 Bus EastBound to last stop or (B)(Q) to Kings Highway and transfer to B2 to last stop. Mall is in the building on the SE corner of the intersection.

I do not recommend Bronx because it is kinda too crowded and messy there. Here is all I have right now, good luck, !

Centry 21 in both Brooklyn (86th by R train) and Manhattan (by WTC) have great stuff, but you gotta dig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    You can find European new brands and custome made brands in Nolita or Lower East Side rather than 5th Avenue of Madison Avenue.

china town @ canal street
    and soho(but pricey because it's made by hippies)

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEOAKS View Post
    Hi,

could somebody tell if there are any t-shirt shops in NY, where I can buy some cool/funny t-shirts?

Tanx

Steve

Smile Shopping in NY

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    YYY, are you just looking to get some shopping done? If so, you'd be better off doing it on the streets and not in a mall. Unlike many places, New York City has retail stores in almost every neighborhood. There's no reason to make a mall your destination.

You can say that again....When I visit annually (the Labor Day weekend) we just hit the streets (around 125th St area) and everything you could ever want walks, runs or "yells out" in front of you. By the time you get to the mall, you have shopped. I love it there...Good ol' free enterprise at its best. Besides you get to make "deals" on the street that will never happen in the mall.....

Just another question I have before visiting New York again next month: Is there any bigger supermarket somewhere in Manhattan where one can buy stuff like water, crisps, bread, chocolate and all the other stuff we would like to bring home and need for our living? I can remember that we had difficulties in finding any suitable place when we were in NYC before. Where do you New Yorkers do your regular every day/week shopping???

TRY Whole Foods (expensive, but huge selection) or Trader Joe's (a little less of both). Aso, Fairway (the best of both worlds).l

And one very last question: Is there any good pet shop you could recommend in NYC? We are always having fun in looking for some crazy stuff to bring home for our cats when we are away. We found Petropolis last year, which is an interesting but pretty small shop directly in Manhattan. Does anyone have any other cool suggestions?? Thanks for your help!!

Post >>>>Shopping in New York - Help Please<<<<

Hey there,

im off to new york from the 30th June to the 5th July,

Im a 16 year old guy from the UK.

Where Am I Staying?
    casablanca hotel

Address: 147 West 43rd Street
    New York, NY. 10036

-----------------------------------------------------

What sort of 'Shopping'?
    Clothes shopping mainly, designer brands mainly but if theres any 'primark' like stores that may be worth a trip too!

i will be using the subways and trains to get around too

Just wondering of all the best clothes shops around New York so i dont miss out on any Gems while im there
    Last edited by NYatKNIGHT; June 22nd, 2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: removed link

Smaller stores will close earlier (prob around the time you think they would aka when you want to go home from work during the day), but there are of course exceptions. Bigger stores are usually open until around 9-11pm. Stores in high traffic business areas usually open earlier as well. Bonus= a lot of big chain stores around the holidays stay open 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by baddebt88 View Post
    Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster:

I am starting an internship in NYC in a week. Being cheap, I would love to be able to grab 6-10 dress shirts for around ~10 bucks as some people earlier in the thread mentioned (the wholesale overstocks).

I am wondering: Do those types of deals still exist? If so, where should I go to purchase them?

I am not overly worried about quality as long as its professional and presentable.

Thanks a lot.

Try looking around in the flea markets in china town.

Canal St. in Chinatown...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast